Fabian Boulegue

There comes a time of the year..... Aerosoft anniversary poll

Anniversary poll  

692 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What Platform are you currently using?

    • FS 2004
      9
    • FSX (not included FSX Steam)
      95
    • X-Plane 10
      24
    • X-Plane 11
      198
    • Prepared3D 3 or older
      68
    • Prepared3D 4
      493
    • FSX Steam Edition
      62
    • Flight Sim World
      30
    • AeroFly FS
      3
    • AeroFly FS2
      25
    • DCS (Digital Combat Sim)
      39
  2. 2. Are you planning a shift to another simulator within the next 6 months?

    • Yes
      55
    • No
      595
    • I'm not sure, I check the options
      83
  3. 3. What OS are you currently using?

    • WinXP
      3
    • WinVista
      3
    • Win7
      146
    • Win8
      13
    • Win10
      574
    • Linux
      15
    • macOS
      11
  4. 4. Did you buy a new computer within the last 6 month? Are you planning to buy a new one?

    • Yes I have
      172
    • I will get a new system
      83
    • No I wont upgrade my system
      258
    • Just parts of the system will be upgraded
      220
  5. 5. Are you interested in other simulations beside our Flightsimulation titles?

    • Yes - other simulations are interesting for me
      252
    • Yes - for friends/kids I also check your other products
      32
    • No
      456


Recommended Posts

Every year there comes a time of the year, - no I m not talking about X-mas, Hanukkah or every other great celebrated day of the year ... I m talking about our anniversary poll.

 

So here are the question for this year, between all committing people we give away 5x 10€ discount codes for our shop when the poll ends (end of the year).

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Important Post
Normal Post

What else is there to post about except that I've voted?

Last year I still voted "using FSX, considering upgrading". This year, that became true. Now using P3D v4 and not considering upgrading anymore.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 21-9-2017 at 4:30 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

There are still a good number of people using FSX, in fact I was very surprised at the number I'm seeing. Based on my experience, I'd say that at least 50% of the flight sim community is still using FSX and why not?  The Steam version of FSX is incredibly stable and works on many older computers and graphics cards, while a jump to P3DV4 means a hardware upgrade of at least $600 U.S. for most people if they want to take advantage of things like Dynamic Lighting.

So far that doesn't seem to be the case. I know the poll has only just started, but with the current results FSX + FSX Steam together only make 18,57 percent market share. P3D v4 on the other hand rules with 52,86 percent market share. That's more than half of all people that voted. FS2004 can officially be declared dead with exactly 0 percent market share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PatrickZ said:

 

 

So far that doesn't seem to be the case. I know the poll has only just started, but with the current results FSX + FSX Steam together only make 18,57 percent market share. P3D v4 on the other hand rules with 52,86 percent market share. That's more than half of all people that voted. FS2004 can officially be declared dead with exactly 0 percent market share.

 

The vast majority of flight sim users rarely if ever visit flight sim forums, but we see the sales of the base platforms and we here from them via support requests.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can declare FS2004 dead, but this is neither officially nor it is true.

And I'm not speaking for myself, because I've already voted.

 

Same is with FSX:  don't underestimate elder people ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who you calling elder, Elder?  As you can probably tell by my picture, I definitely am elder.  Having said that, there is a lot of new software which i use on a regular basis.  To date FSX is my favorite flying simulator.  But I'm open to change and bought P3D pretty early on and was unimpressed.  However I haven't tried their V4.  After getting burned with P3D I'll have to try it on someone else's buck.

 

I was just reading about a new product which I'm assuming is 64bit hasn't been out for consumers yet, on the Aerosoft site.  I asked a few questions and am very interested in it.

 

One big hold-up for a lot of people going to a totally new program is all the money they/I have invested in FSX or other older software!  I have a machine that will handle about anything I want to feed it and having built it myself, I can upgrade as needed.  But I probably have $1,000 in FSX software upgrades!  So if I go anywhere else it'll be one small step at a time.

 

Rupert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just voted. This year made the switch to P3Dv4, after FSX. For me the perfect sim for the coming years:

- I can use my FS2004/FSX knowledge in managing P3D

- All my traffic and other content is slowly moving over

- the 64 platform opens a lot of possibilities for the future

 

For instance cannot wait to fly the new Aerosoft A330 in KLM colors to EHAM, with the new ORBX Netherlands, FlyTampa EHAM, all my custom AI and real-time weather from AS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for me... Upgraded to Prepar3D and I’m blazed! Holy mother of god, flight simulation can be so well lightened and good-looking and, holy mother of god, soooo sharp!!! I never want to change back to FSX, but for now I need to do so because I neither have installed or bought every scenery I need, nor I have an traffic add-on, which I want to use when flying online. However, I am very confident with P3D v4! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Switched from the venerable FS2004 to P3D v4 once OOMs were consigned to the dustbin with 64-bit architecture. It was time for a brand new PC as well, so made the leap in the Spring and I haven't looked back since!
A massive difference (obviously) between the two sims, which means I now feel like I am immersed in the sim rather than controlling something on a screen, even though that is still what I am doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, luko0211 said:

Also just voted. Impressive how many P3D v4 users there are. 

 

Which, considering the venue, is kind of like remarking about the high number of astronauts at an astronaut's convention....... :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I'm not a bit surprised that P3Dv4 is topping the poll. I don't know why anyone would choose not to make the switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nealmac said:

To be honest, I'm not a bit surprised that P3Dv4 is topping the poll. I don't know why anyone would choose not to make the switch.

 

Compatibility might be a reason there. Some products aren't P3D v4 compatible yet and if you still want to use them the only choice you have is an older simulator.

 

I have to admit this was one of the main concerns I had when I made the switch from FSX to P3D v4, I've lost a lot of add-ons with that. My collection of P3D v4 add-ons is still by far not as big as my collection of FSX add-ons was, but such is life. In time, it'll grow.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just adding my two cents.

I have been an avid simmer for many years (I fit into the old fart category) and have managed to keep several pans on the fire as I handle some scenery and missions for my flying club.

As a result I have pretty well all of the MS based sims active from FSX onward up to P3D v4.x on the same or older cousin PC.

Also have FSW and Aerofly FS2 just to keep abreast of what is happening.

My only wish is that Santa can get his act together and get the new bus ready for the new year.

I have had to keep P3Dv3 going just for the bus as just about every other addon and plane that I have been updated to P3D v4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfectly happy to stay with FSX.  All of my add-ins work and I'm saving some serious money by not having to constantly upgrade my hardware....

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still with FSX although I don't fly that much at the much at the moment. Unlikely that I'll upgrade to P3D as well. It would cost too much and P3D is still based on the same code as FSX.

It is 64-bit which is a very good improvement and I don't doubt that is better but I probably won't be spend that much money on older code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a FSX:SE user I rarely come here anymore because all new stuff is updates for P3D v.4 or some X-plane stuff. Nothing new for FSX. This might affect these results, you also have to be logged in to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have moved to P3D4, but still maintain a P3D3 install so that I can still fly the AS Airbus.  Once the AS Airbus 2018 Professional is released, I plan on purchasing the 64 Bit Bus and removing my P3DV3 install.  I do still keep a legacy FSX Steam install with a few airports in order enjoy the PMDG MD-11.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nealmac,

I have not voted and I would assume that many users of various platforms have not either.

However, I take your statement "I don't know why anyone would choose not to make the switch." with a healthy grain of salt.

I will tell you why I have not made the switch on a permanent basis from FS2004 to P3Dv4 or any of the other platforms (which I own by the way).

I fly using 6 monitors. End of story.   I get 30+ FPS using those monitors in FS2004.  NO other platform will allow me to do that and I very sincerely regard going (upgrading) to another platform  2 which doies not allow me to do this is an actual DOWNGRADE. 6 monitors gives me an incredible immersion factor which is not duplicated with one to three monitors.

If any of the other platforms bother to find a way to allow simmers to use more than three monitors without turning it into a slideshow, OR, tell me how I can do it with their platform, I will jump into it with reckless abandon and reckless alacrity.

Until then, I will concede ... better graphics .... better lighting ....better, more complex and more varied aircraft .... better weather ... ground services and a myriad of other benefits, none of which singularly or collectively, cancels my immersion factor.

Until this happens, I do not want to hear that FS2004 is dead or that I should switch to P3Dv4

The poll though is very interesting if not very informative in that we all know which way the mop is flopping.

Cheers and regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Nealmac,

I have not voted and I would assume that many users of various platforms have not either.

However, I take your statement "I don't know why anyone would choose not to make the switch." with a healthy grain of salt.

I will tell you why I have not made the switch on a permanent basis from FS2004 to P3Dv4 or any of the other platforms (which I own by the way).

I fly using 6 monitors. End of story.   I get 30+ FPS using those monitors in FS2004.  NO other platform will allow me to do that and I very sincerely regard going (upgrading) to another platform  2 which doies not allow me to do this is an actual DOWNGRADE. 6 monitors gives me an incredible immersion factor which is not duplicated with one to three monitors.

If any of the other platforms bother to find a way to allow simmers to use more than three monitors without turning it into a slideshow, OR, tell me how I can do it with their platform, I will jump into it with reckless abandon and reckless alacrity.

Until then, I will concede ... better graphics .... better lighting ....better, more complex and more varied aircraft .... better weather ... ground services and a myriad of other benefits, none of which singularly or collectively, cancels my immersion factor.

Until this happens, I do not want to hear that FS2004 is dead or that I should switch to P3Dv4

The poll though is very interesting if not very informative in that we all know which way the mop is flopping.

Cheers and regards to all

Tony Chilcott

 

Of course you get high fps on FS2004 and you get less fps on newer platforms, that's only natural. You can put MS-DOS on it and it runs super fast, but the more demanding the software the slower it gets. The only way to still get good performance is to invest in better hardware.

 

I'm sure if you'd buy yourself some real good modern hardware those 6 monitors would perform fine. I bet you can get 30+ fps on it with P3D v4 and 100+ with FS2004. The fact that you're only getting 30+ fps on FS2004 indicates that you're running on old outdated hardware that is in need of replacement. I'm using 3 monitors myself and I easily get 60-70 fps on P3D v4 and I don't even have the very best hardware there is at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.