Simstarter with P3D4 - Best way to organize scenery

seippg

Hi,

In P3D3.x, it was pretty easy to organize sceneries into regions so that I only loaded the regions I needed for a flight.  I grouped them into regions:

• Caribbean
  • Eastern US
  • Central US
  • Western US
  • Europe

And on and on.  I click the checkbox for each region I wanted and click Start.  Now, with the add-on.xml method and the scenery.cfg, things aren't so simple.  What method are folks using now?

Gregg

• Developer

Hi Gregg,

thats a good point. The add-on.xml logic means in detail that more then scenery could be defined in that file. At the moment the P3Dv4 SDK just allows to disable the whole add-on.xml file not just parts of it. Meaning by clicking the scenery in SceneryManager this would cause disabling the whole add-on.xml file with all items. At the beginning I thought it could be confusing for the users therefor it disabled this cause.

But I think on it. Your're right - this kind of group logic was very useful.

2 hours ago, Capt. PERO said:

Hi Gregg,

thats a good point. The add-on.xml logic means in detail that more then scenery could be defined in that file. At the moment the P3Dv4 SDK just allows to disable the whole add-on.xml file not just parts of it. Meaning by clicking the scenery in SceneryManager this would cause disabling the whole add-on.xml file with all items. At the beginning I thought it could be confusing for the users therefor it disabled this cause.

But I think on it. Your're right - this kind of group logic was very useful.

Yeah, I think we're in a situation where we're best off if all scenery is done one or the other way.  Either it is installed the old way or with add-on.xml.  Doing it with both means it's hard to set up regions of sceneries.  I'm no expert, but I think the new way might be better since, perhaps, if a scenery disabled in add-on.xml would not be scanned at startup?  (It seems like the more scenery I install the old way, the longer it takes for P3D to start...perhaps it's scanning sceneries that are disabled even though it seems like it shouldn't?)  That's just a guess.

I organize my scenery similar to you. Scenery such as Drzeweicki uses add on . xml. I ended up taking all that scenery and installing it the old way. I have not come across any other scenery companies using addon.xml. My Addon.xml is reserved for any aircraft that install that way or programs like UT live, objectflow etc...that use it. The majority of my scenery is Orbx and it uses the old way with FTX central and it's a huge amount, this played a part in the decision. This way I feel I have complete control over all of it and it's worked out well. 

Brian

• Developer
vor 34 Minuten, BrianCH701 sagte:

I organize my scenery similar to you. Scenery such as Drzeweicki uses add on . xml. I ended up taking all that scenery and installing it the old way. I have not come across any other scenery companies using addon.xml. My Addon.xml is reserved for any aircraft that install that way or programs like UT live, objectflow etc...that use it. The majority of my scenery is Orbx and it uses the old way with FTX central and it's a huge amount, this played a part in the decision. This way I feel I have complete control over all of it and it's worked out well. 

Brian

Sounds reasonable.

21 hours ago, BrianCH701 said:

Brian

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that.  It's a method I understand well.  It *may* be possible to do the same kind of thing with add-on.xml but 1) I'm not sure and 2) I'm not sure Simstarter is geared for that as well.  FSDreamTeam has all of their scenery installed the add-on.xml way and it seems to be forcing me to accept that for their scenery which, at least as far as I can tell, requires me to load LAX when I'm flying in Florida.  Perhaps there's a way to enable/disable them all at once at least. 

I guess you can create add-on.xml config sets named after a regions. In your

Eastern US config set just uncheck any scenery not in it. When you create a profile for a flight in Florida then select the Eastern US add on.xml config set and your normal Eastern US scenery config set. Hopefully FSDT doesn't combine a scenery like a Florida and California airport into one add- on entry.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I understand the add-on.xml way very well yet.  What would be nice, perhaps, is a way to move all the sceneries out of the P3D4 directory and have Simstarter create the xml files (and check existing ones) as groups of scenery for us...e.g. replace the old method of managing scenery.

As I found out that starting the sim with no airports loaded improved the situation with visible loading textures in flight, i wanted to make a profile with no payware airports.

Regarding those airports in the add-on.xml I made a profile without them but if I want to use one of those it's not possible to choose it by the method of last minute changes when starting by a desktop link.

Any solution regarding this would be wonderful if possible just like a way to select different scenery.cfg presets because I could make single ones for England, GEN/GES and so on.

Klaus

vor 3 Stunden , Capt. PERO sagte:

I will change the logic with P3Dv4 that the SceneryMGR can disable add-on.xml as well. Will be implemented with the next update.

Did I tell you that your responsiveness and open mind to customer wishes are just great!? :clapping_s:

Schöne Feiertage und einen guten Rutsch!

Grüße Klaus

• Developer
vor 56 Minuten, boogie sagte:

Did I tell you that your responsiveness and open mind to customer wishes are just great!? :clapping_s:

Schöne Feiertage und einen guten Rutsch!

Grüße Klaus

Danke! :O)

• Developer

Just a little x-mas present: < NEW FILE AVAILABLE - SEE POST BELOW >

This version contains the handling of the add-on.xml with the Scenery Manager.

PLEASE READ:

1. This is not an official release and has just tested by me and not by the BETA team
  2. Manual has not been updated so far
  3. Close SIMstarter NG
  4. Make a backup of "C:\Aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\SIMstarter NG.exe"
  5. Extract the ZIP file and copy all content to "C:\Aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\" > overwrite 3 files
  6. Start SIMstarter NG

I can't support this version during x-mas time so please go back to former version if there are any issues.

Keep in mind:

• Add-On.xml Scenery items which are disabled from an "Add-On.xml ConfigSet" of the selected profile need to be enabled in the "Add-On.xml ConfigSet" before using them in SceneryManager (does someone understand this? *lol*)
  • The "Scenery Editor" (first tab) can't disable add-on.xml related Scenery, this must be done in Scenery ConfigSet (or in Add-On.xml ConfigSet)

• Developer

There is a little bug that already disabled sceneries will be shown "Active" after opening the SceneryManager again. Please try this version:

< FILE REMOVED - INCLUDED IN LASTEST VERSION >

PLEASE READ:

1. This is not an official release and has just tested by me and not by the BETA team
  2. Manual has not been updated so far
  3. Close SIMstarter NG
  4. Make a backup of "C:\Aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\SIMstarter NG.exe"
  5. Extract the ZIP file and copy all content to "C:\Aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\" > overwrite 3 files
  6. Start SIMstarter NG

I can't support this version during x-mas time so please go back to former version if there are any issues.

Keep in mind:

• Add-On.xml Scenery items which are disabled from an "Add-On.xml ConfigSet" of the selected profile need to be enabled in the "Add-On.xml ConfigSet" before using them in SceneryManager (does someone understand this? *lol*)
  • The "Scenery Editor" (first tab) can't disable add-on.xml related Scenery, this must be done in Scenery ConfigSet (or in Add-On.xml ConfigSet)

Great I thought I did something wrong try this new one out.

But I have a question as the previous version worked only once for me...

If I make a proflle n the SceneryManager  with no airports at all will I be able to activate single airports of the add-on.xml when starting by desktop link with last-minute-changes enabled?

Klaus

• Developer
vor 19 Stunden , boogie sagte:

[...]

If I make a proflle n the SceneryManager  with no airports at all will I be able to activate single airports of the add-on.xml when starting by desktop link with last-minute-changes enabled?

[...]

Yes. Thats a good point. I am thinking how to handle this. The bad thing is, that add-on.xml and scenery.cfg logic do mix up. I need to find a logical way to work with both of them by not "confusing some normal users". I know that most of you fully understand that point but the more complexity I bring in the more confusing will it become...

Yes I know what you mean. I am quite often scared to ruin my sim by messing around and basically it works by following method:

I have a profile with all normal airports off in SceneryMgr and all others off in the add-on.xml.cfg manager.

If I use normal airports only it's easy as i start using the desktop link and choose the airports i need.

If I need some of the other airports i start Simstarter, edit the add-on.xml cfg, save it, and start the profile. After the flight I turn those airports off again and save the config.

It's just a few clicks more and I know it may sound petty but it would be just nice if it was as easy as with normal airports only.

Anyway... I'll patiently wait what is possible in that case! ;)

Klaus

• 3 weeks later...

Archived