P3D4 Runway Lights

Terblanche

I can't tell you what I think about P3D's whole light system including DL because this is a public forum ... the runway and approach lights look like something pre-FS9 and it looks so unrealistic and as a real pilot I should know what runway and approach lights look like at night. Say about FSX what you want but with the halo.bmp there was some form of editing that made the runway and approach lights much more realistic and there was never ever all the shimmering in the distance - but let me not lament anymore >>>

Quite by accident I bought La Palma (GCLA) because I actually wanted Palma de Mallorca (LEPA) but with all the confusing names I hit the purchase button too late ... and so tonight for the first time I thought, let's take the DA42 and fly from Madeira all the way south to La Palma and on arrival this is what the runway lights look like ... not that it is so much better at any of the other airports but thoughts to myself, brand new $200 P3D4.1 x64 sim for "training purposes" with all the bells and whistles to make my dog sing the Nabucco Slave Chorus, in Hebrew but this is what the runway lights look like. Can't make my mind up if I should be bemused or confused.

And yes, I've already tried different halo.bmp files in the P3D4 [TEXTURES] folder but not even my holy four guardian angels know where LM has embedded the runway and approach lights.

Maybe Aerosoft can tell us what *.dds file is linked to runway lights and then we could try and edit it ourselves because these blobs are a very sad excuse for runway lights.

Please login to display this image.

On 15/11/2017 at 7:49 PM, mopperle said:

Jordaan, you can find a simply explanation here:

Yes, great explanation with no solution .... how odd. Or did I miss it??

I just posted this over in that thread -

[>

In other words ... 4 months and 24 posts later the is NO answer??

Please Aerosoft, just tell us which files in EFFECTS and TEXTURES folder are linked to the runway and approach lights because it is NOT the halo.bmp file? Surely, it not a copyright violation to just tell us which files, and we will figure it out to restore, fix, improve, replace them? <]

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

In other words ... 4 months and 24 posts later the is NO answer??

The answer is, as stated in the linked topic, that the current version just allows to install the FSX/P3Dv3 version into P3Dv4. This has been quite openly communicated from the beginning and was highly appreciated by most customers.

Many of the AS add-ons will also get a real update for P3Dv4. And as Oliver clearly stated GCLA will get such an update. But such things do not happen over night, especially if you have 200+ add-ons to work on.

So please be patient.

8 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

So please be patient.

I will be patient ... 

But now that we know it's not 'fault' or 'mistake' on our setup, will you be so kind to tell us, which 'effects' and/or 'texture' files are linked to runway lights because as I stated in my first post - the whole runway/approach lights implementation in P3D sucks big time. We can then do what we did with the halo.bmp file in FSX and create more realistic lights even if it is only for our personal use.

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, Terblanche said:

I will be patient ... 

But now that we know it's not 'fault' or 'mistake' on our setup, will you be so kind to tell us, which 'effects' and/or 'texture' files are linked to runway lights because as I stated in my first post - the whole runway/approach lights implementation in P3D sucks big time. We can then do what we did with the halo.bmp file in FSX and create more realistic lights even if it is only for our personal use.

Hi, in the linked topic OPabst explained, that the Airports developed by Simwings use a custom texture and that there is a problem with HDR enabled.

It might be not very helpful, but my approach would now be:

Install the airport to a fake folder. Now you will see all the custom files. It should not be very hard to identify a texture file by filename. Now you can check in your original install by deactivating this texturefile, if you got the correct one.

• Deputy Sheriffs
6 hours ago, Terblanche said:

I will be patient ... 

At least for Malaga I can find this lights in Ecosystem\aerosoft\MALAGA_AIRPORT\texture:

AS-RWY-LIGHT.dds

LEMGlightred.dds

LEMGlightred_LM.dds

LEMGstreetlight.dds

LEMGstreetlight_LM.dds

SWlightsAll.dds

SWlightsAll_LM.dds

SWlightsAllnormal.dds

SWlightsAllnormal_LM

SWlightsday.dds

SWlightsday_LM.dds

And these effects:

fx_AESLite_navgre.fx

fx_AESLite_navred.fx

fx_AESLite_navwhi.fx

fx_AESLite_steam1.fx

All I can say in conclusion is my very first sentence in this thread .......... the whole lighting system in P3D was, and still is a complete mess, Trying to be fancy with DL and Reflecting Light and HDR and all the blah blah fah fah in between with developers like PMDG and FSLabs opting to have landing lights coupled to DL and many 3rd party scenery's runway and approach lights not 'compatible' with HDR or at least look like blobs of paintball shots, and we sit with some night flying with shimmering (even on my 4K monitor) and this ridiculous runway lights. But I've promised to be patient ... so, as they say with the movies, "Let's see!"

• Developer
1 hour ago, Terblanche said:

All I can say in conclusion is my very first sentence in this thread .......... the whole lighting system in P3D was, and still is a complete mess, Trying to be fancy with DL and Reflecting Light and HDR and all the blah blah fah fah in between with developers like PMDG and FSLabs opting to have landing lights coupled to DL and many 3rd party scenery's runway and approach lights not 'compatible' with HDR or at least look like blobs of paintball shots, and we sit with some night flying with shimmering (even on my 4K monitor) and this ridiculous runway lights. But I've promised to be patient ... so, as they say with the movies, "Let's see!"

The SDK (and the Code behind the sim in the actual state) only offer the Runwaylights by the AFCAD, which are not configurable as need, for example in the Approachlights area, when the Terrain is not flat there.

The old Options, to have single placeable "Lightdots" related to the Halo.bmp is not anymore functional, because it is only an old BGLC opcode.

The only option to have "halos" are effects, but they are not directional, so a lamp on one side white, on the other red for example is not possible. And you will not want it, when your have 1 frame per second on the airport, because the system needs 1000th of Lamp. Effects are not so frame friendly in the count needed here.

So as long as LM don't offer a flexible and frame optimized Lamp as Halo, there is not many the developer can do.

Archived