Autopilot problem

I just bought this aircraft a few days ago and I am having problems getting the autopilot to engage after take off.

I was flying the tutorial and followed it step by step i thought. But i have missed something somewhere not sure what.

any ideas?

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Gary Buska said:

I just bought this aircraft a few days ago and I am having problems getting the autopilot to engage after take off.

I was flying the tutorial and followed it step by step i thought. But i have missed something somewhere not sure what.

any ideas?

Thanks

It's not engaging at all?  Or is it engaging and just not following the course you manually set or the course by the FMS?

I am trying to fly the tutorial flight

I have followed the instructions page by page

the flight plan is entered into the FMC

after take off when I push the AP button is just beeps at me and will not engage and naturally will not follow the flight plan

The flight director is on

i have missed something somewhere

It might have something to do with the nav source I think mine is still set at MAP and I might have to select NAV instead

I've never flown the tutorial, however if you want the Autopilot to follow the FMS then you'll have to place the Nav Source switch in the FMS1 (or 2) position.

Did you by any chance load into a default aircraft before you loaded the CRJ?

13 hours ago, Gary Buska said:

I am trying to fly the tutorial flight

I have followed the instructions page by page

the flight plan is entered into the FMC

after take off when I push the AP button is just beeps at me and will not engage and naturally will not follow the flight plan

The flight director is on

i have missed something somewhere

It might have something to do with the nav source I think mine is still set at MAP and I might have to select NAV instead

When I say "you need to follow the flight director", I mean you literally need to be as close as possible to it. I don't just mean it needs to be switched on. You need to adjust pitch and bank so that you are right on it.

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I've never flown the tutorial, however if you want the Autopilot to follow the FMS then you'll have to place the Nav Source switch in the FMS1 (or 2) position.

Did you by any chance load into a default aircraft before you loaded the CRJ?

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

No

After I started FSX STEAM I loaded the tutorial flight than proceeded to follow the instructions in the PDF for the tutorial

3 hours ago, nealmac said:

When I say "you need to follow the flight director", I mean you literally need to be as close as possible to it. I don't just mean it needs to be switched on. You need to adjust pitch and bank so that you are right on it.

Okay I understand what you are saying now. I hope to try this again soon I will let you know if I have any luck.

I have had this as well, after takeoff I try to engage AP and it just beeps and turns off again. What I do is to trim the aircraft manually to a steady climb and then the AP seems to engage fine. It might be worth giving that trim adjustment a go and see if that helps at all.

Regards Rob

Thanks everyone I will give it a try.

And I thought that the B747400 Readyforpushback was a challenge.

For that aircraft you have to go through the entire process as you would if you were on the real thing just to start the engines CTRL+E will not work at all

I will look for the trim adjustments and give it a go

Some of these payware aircraft are just like the real thing which is why I buy them

I try to fly as realistic as I can which is why I bought ACTIVE SKY 2016 & ACTIVE SKY CLOUD ART It makes the weather as close as you can get to the real thing.

This is when you find out why pilots try to avoid thunder storms in the real world the turbulence can get rough. You plane can bounce around like a water drop on a hot frying pan.:rolleyes:

The auto pilot will disconnect with any pressure on the control column. You can adjust the amount of pressure required from a menu in the EFB, (DAVE)

Before engaging the autopilot I ensure nav mode is in the correct setting,(left side panel on captains side) also  the corresponding MCDU display eg. FMC 1/2, (Map) VOR1/2,(Nav)  then altitude selected, then speed dialled in and speed mode selected, finally select autopilot when your stable.

If your following an FMC planned route and you are engaging a little late, just select DIRto on the FMC and select the next waypoint. The FMC will connect your current position with the next programmed waypoint.

This is a very well programmed simulation!:D It deserves all the manuals to be read, because it's beauty is not just skin deep.

Best regards

David

Success at last !! After take off I trimmed the aircraft and sure enough the Auto pilot engaged with no problems It than followed the flight plan like a charm. I managed to make a good landing at KMRY even though it was my first landing with this aircraft.

Thanks every one I appreciate all of the advise. My next task is to load a flight plan from scratch using real world weather and see if I can get it rightB)

Archived