Zurich professional massive stutters

onurair

Hello from Switzerland

I have massive stutters with your LSZH scenery. Maybe there is allready a known solution to this. I couldn't find anything related in the forum.

The thing is, my frames are stable in your EGLL and EDDF sceneries, which should be more demanding on the hardware. So almost no stutters there even at night with DL on.

My HW:

- I7 6700k @ 4.5ghz

- 16GB RAM 3200Mhz

- GTX 1080Ti

What I have tried so far:

- tried different settings even with a lot of the sliders almost left, no change in stutter behaviour

- installed the low res textures. However I thing this one is just changing the texture resolution within P3D to 1024x1024

- Unticked all the landside traffic

Addons used:
- FSL A320 / PMDG 737 (both are stable at EGLL and EDDF, only in LSZH massive stutters while taxy

- ORBX Global and EU LC

- Active Sky

The fps are fluctuating alot. As soon as I want to taxy around a corner, I get massive stutters. Or lining up on the rwy also gives me massive stutters.

In general the fps are not bad for a mega airport, but as I mentioned above I have an absolutely smooth sim in Frankfurt and London even with the sliders further to te right than in Zurich.

Thanks in advance.

vor 41 Minuten, masterhawk sagte:

What are your AA settings? Try MSAA instead SSAA.  Disable Dynamic Reflection.

I have 8xMSAA set. SSAA is not usable at night with DL on.  

Dynamic Reflection is off. Lens flare is off and activated shadows are user vehicle cast receive and cloud and terrain cast.

vor 11 Minuten, masterhawk sagte:

8xMSAA is very heavy on GPU at night with DL. 

LM works continuously on improving performance.

yes it is, but my 1080Ti can handle it. I couldn't see much improvement when set it to 4xMSAA.

Anyway the stutters are also there at day, it must be somehow related to zurich or the area around it..

which kind of disk are you using for your P3D installation? - slow (5400rpm) mechanical disk with heavy fragmentation could affect LSZH more than other APs

vor 13 Stunden , data63 sagte:

which kind of disk are you using for your P3D installation? - slow (5400rpm) mechanical disk with heavy fragmentation could affect LSZH more than other APs

The OS is on a fast M2 flash card and the sim is installed on a SSD and both have alot spare gigs free :)
I'm not sure if it is really the airport or something in the vicinity. It depends on wether the AC is facing north, south, east or west. A lot of fps fluctuations.
As mentioned above EDDF and EGLL are stable at 30fps at night with DL on. 

vor 11 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Disk has no influence once the airport is loaded.

Have you tried setting a fixed fps? of it you have setting it to unlimited?

Yes tried both internally fixed. Internally unlimited and externaly fixed and without fix at all. I have a 30hz monitor and vsync and tripple buffering are on. (No changes when deactivated)
BTW. what's your experience with vsync? Do you guys have set adaptive, fast or half in the nvidia control panel?

vor 19 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

30 hz monitor? That seems slow and I can see how that could lead to problems. 

Acutally it's the only way having a smooth P3D. As long as you can achieve 30fps the sim is extremely smooth, almost zero stutters.

I can set it to 60hz but then I'll get stutters and in no way it is possible to get 60fps all the time with todays HW and used add ons.

If you have the possibility to test, you will see the difference. It's huge...

• Aerosoft

We do continuous test but we really can't advise you to set your DISPLAY to 30 hz because it would be incredibly tiresome on your eyes.  My monitor runs 100 hz and as that is just the display update rate has little or nothing to do with your framerate. And sure that means sometimes the same frame is drawn, but what's the problem with that? 

Are you sure you are not talking about the build in framerate limiter of the sim? In our experience that is buggy to a great degree. if I set my sim to 30 fps I often get 28, 29 fps. With the same setting and unlimited FPS I get 45 fps. Sure with more fluctuation but that's no problem. On none of my machines have I ever had stutters, but just last weekend in Lelystad two people asked me for some help with low fps and stutters. On both machines I removed the tweaks and reset the FSX.cfg and on both machines the issues were solved.

Apart from the highmemtweak for FSX there is simply no tweak that does not have drawbacks. 

I jump in here as I am also absolutely not happy with the performance of LSZH Professional at night. While it is already quiet heavy on FPS compared to bigger airports (like LEBL) during the day, the performance in the night is simply below anything else. My story: I created two different graphic settings profiles due to the fact that also JustSim has some airports that are ridiculously heavy on performance during night time. One is called "Day Max" with rather high settings, the other one is called "Night low" with rather low settings.

Using "Day Max" during daytime I get the "normal" 25FPS on LSZH with AI traffic. In the night, I get with this setup 10-12FPS. In JustSim's LFMN, I get 30-35FPS during daytime and 10-12FPS in the night. Using "Night low", I achieve good 20FPS in LFMN, but in LSZH, the Frames remain very low, around 12-14. Interestingly, in LEBL, I get 30-35FPS with "Day Max", about 20FPS in the night and again 30-35FPS with "Night low" during the night. Although the airport is much bigger and more AI planes are displayed...

Now the probably interesting part I observed only yesterday while checking some AI plane illuminations: the FPS in LSZH using "Night low" jump up to 25-30FPS as soon as the main building where Terminal A and B is connected to, is out of view. So, sitting for example at Gate A44 or A42 (just next to this main building) and looking away from the main building in the direction of Terminal E (lots of AI planes in sight), I get a solid 25-30FPS. As soon as the main building is in sight, even without any AI plane visible, FPS drop to 15 or below.

To me, it seems that either this main building or something in close proximity (maybe the parking buliding behind?) is massive FPS hog during night time. Furthermore, I use CH PRO X. Other users have noted that without CH PRO X being enabled, the performance seems to be better as well. Never tested this though.

Long story, I know. But eventually it helps to pinpoint the performance eater on LSZH. Hopefully this can then be patched somehow...

vor 17 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

We do continuous test but we really can't advise you to set your DISPLAY to 30 hz because it would be incredibly tiresome on your eyes.  My monitor runs 100 hz and as that is just the display update rate has little or nothing to do with your framerate. And sure that means sometimes the same frame is drawn, but what's the problem with that? 

Are you sure you are not talking about the build in framerate limiter of the sim? In our experience that is buggy to a great degree. if I set my sim to 30 fps I often get 28, 29 fps. With the same setting and unlimited FPS I get 45 fps. Sure with more fluctuation but that's no problem. On none of my machines have I ever had stutters, but just last weekend in Lelystad two people asked me for some help with low fps and stutters. On both machines I removed the tweaks and reset the FSX.cfg and on both machines the issues were solved.

Apart from the highmemtweak for FSX there is simply no tweak that does not have drawbacks. 

Well my monitor is only capable of 60hz down to 29hz @4k resolution. It sure is tiresome on the eyes but I can see clearly a difference when using P3D at 60hz or 30hz. Especially when panning in the cockpit. 
If I can hold 60fps I have also a smooth experience but when it falls below I get stutters. 

Yes I'm sure, I'm not talking about the internal limiter. BTW I agree on that, it seems to be buggy. That's why I have set it to unlimited within P3D and set dxtory to limit it externally to 30. That gives me pretty much everywhere 30fps with almost 0 stutters.

You're right. My P3D cfg is also clean no tweaks. I tried several affinity masks but couldn't find one which gives me smoothness an crisp textures. So I let the cfg alone and try to find my settings within P3D.

So as mentioned by @Querer there is something in ZRH which is taxing the HW supperior. It depends on where you're located and what is visible. 
I'm not using CH PRO X and have the same experience so I hope we can help you somehow to find the fps hog.

• Aerosoft

We are unable to see any reason that this scenery is slower than others (although the complex surrounding does not help a lot). We have these same comments about literally every project and it is often hard to see what causes these issues with some users and not others. Our test focus on a standard sim with just the product (because we are unable to test with every possible combination of add-ons. 

If there is a specific location and view heading the issue is more pronounced we can see what object coukld be causing it.

Ok, that's how it is with the sim, problems arising for the majority of the users usually eliminated pretty fast while problems as described here are almost impossible to solve because the root cause can not be found that easily. I will try if I can illustrate the issue with screenshots, might help to find the culprit. I always thought that it is a general performance issue in LSZH, but the above described observation told me otherwise. It must be something with the main building or the parking building behind...

Another issue I observe: since some days, I constantly get the message "SODE connection lost" in LSZH. And only there, all other sceneries I tested, SODE works or at least does not display an error message (LEBL, KDEN, EHAM, LFMN, LEPA).

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem at Zurich Professional. I have all the other professional products, some of which are much heavier and i get a consistant 30 FPS at all except Zurich. Its quite not all the time but when you look in certain directions it happens on the ground. I was on approch the other day and fps was at steady 30 the second i touched down it dropped to 21.I am 100% sure that it is something to do with the scenery as I do not have this problem with anyother scenery including all my other aerosoft sceneries. I have a i7 8700k overclocked to 5.1 GHZ and a 1080TI. My settings are set so that i get a minimum of 30 FPS over the most demanding scenery locations such as London and ORBX NORCAL and SOCAL. I have my FPS locked to 30 in Nvidia inspector and will soon be buying a monitor which supports 30HZ so i can use V sync and tripple buffering as this is the only way to get a consistently  smooth simming experience.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well keep in mind that the surrounding is rather complex there as well. As we always say, when you see anything like that check the same conditions with DEFAULT scenery, you might very well see the same.

Hi Mathijs,

I will try and get back to you. also i will try and see what directions cause the fps drops, i suspect its the Dock E Terminal.

Archived