Mathijs Kok

Douglas DC-8 preview

Important Post

We are now ready for larger beta testing. I am looking for testers on all platforms (32 and 64 bits) and in particular testers who have experience on this (or similar) aircraft types. If you feel you could assist us drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com with some details on your system and experience. Users with a  good forum status (reputation) have always priority. 

If we pick you for the testing you will be contacted. please do apologize me for not replying if you are not selected, we often get hundreds of requests.

Normal Post
On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, scottb613 said:

Yeah - Paul's 727 is probably my most regretted loss - a casualty of the inevitable march of progress as FS moved forward...

Regards,

Scott 

Sorry:(

Thanks to those that have mentioned the 727 though, just such a shame it never moved with times.  On the plus side, had it done so, my DC-8 might have been finished too and could've affected the decision for Michael to do this project........and it looks so much better than I imagine anything I would've done.  Really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paul Golding said:

Thanks to those that have mentioned the 727 though, just such a shame it never moved with times.  On the plus side, had it done so, my DC-8 might have been finished too and could've affected the decision for Michael to do this project........and it looks so much better than I imagine anything I would've done.  Really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

Oh, you're too modest Paul.  But it's true that I felt there should be more and better steam gauge airliners when I started the project.

• Upvote 1

On 08/12/2017 at 12:16 AM, MKA742 said:

Any news on the Beta testing? Im looking forward to that!!!

Not yet. I could make a prediction, but probably best not to.

TSS has delivered some of the sound files; most of what you hear in this video is the final sound (I think the ambient cockpit avionics sound is the only placeholder sound here.)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, webfub said:

Nice! Could you add altitude call outs from a copilot? It is handy for landing

Sorry, the feature list is pretty much closed now, or the aircraft will never be done.  I'm not saying I will never add any features, but not before release.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Michael2 said:

Sorry, the feature list is pretty much closed now, or the aircraft will never be done.  I'm not saying I will never add any features, but not before release.  

+1

Feature creep is the hardest thing to control.

Project looks amazing.

Thumbs up!

• Upvote 2

We are now ready for larger beta testing. I am looking for testers on all platforms (32 and 64 bits) and in particular testers who have experience on this (or similar) aircraft types. If you feel you could assist us drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com with some details on your system and experience. Users with a  good forum status (reputation) have always priority. 

If we pick you for the testing you will be contacted. please do apologize me for not replying if you are not selected, we often get hundreds of requests.

• Upvote 1

Here is the current feature list:

• Realistic simulation of DC-50 series aircraft with Pratt & Whitney JT3D-3B engines.
  • Immersive sound sourced in some instances from real DC-8 aircraft.
  • Accurate visual external and VC models from drawings and more than 1000 photographs.
  • VC modeled using measurements made in real flight deck.
  • Custom coding of fuel, electrical, hydraulic,  pneumatic and flight surface systems using real DC8 manuals.
  • Custom engine, EPR and flight modeling using real world performance charts.
  • Included PDF performance charts to set power, determine v-speeds, landing and maneuver speeds, set takeoff trim, plan fuel load and more.
  • In sim loading screen to load passengers, cargo and fuel correctly into ten available tanks.
  • Realistic simulation of dual inertial navigation (INS) units.
  • INS waypoints may be entered manually or simply by loading an FSX flight plan.
  • Optional INS fast alignment.
  • Night lighting with four levels of instrument lighting.
  • Main panel, pedestal and engineers’ panel flood lighting.
  • Custom and P3D v.4 dynamic landing lights.
  • Radar screen with terrain depiction.
  • Panel state saving and loading.
  • Realistic airframe icing that will degrade lift and increase drag until the deicing system is used to remove ice.
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Here is the current feature list:

• Realistic simulation of DC-50 series aircraft with Pratt & Whitney JT3D-3B engines.
  • Immersive sound sourced in some instances from real DC-8 aircraft.

shouldnt it be the DC-80 series not DC-50 

49 minutes ago, phlpeo said:

shouldnt it be the DC-80 series not DC-50 

Hi, I think you mean DC-8-50.

The 80 would be the DC-9-80

PSS Concorde FS9 has a Virtual F/E and I think it could be avaiable in DC-8 as the F/E is active in T/O

Beta testing has begun.

6 hours ago, AAC47 said:

the F/E is active in T/O

By T/O do you mean takeoff?

Yes after lift off and Nose-gear is up the F/E starts the cabin compressor in order not to get rubber fume in cabin and when the compressor starts he must manually adjust pressure in order not to get eccessive pressure peaks ...not good for pax

He also sets Climb-power

He then starts the second cabin compressor later in climb according normal procedure

Thats one thing among other of the duties of the F/E

When the cabin compressors were turned on seems to have varied by airline or maybe over time.  I have several manuals and the one from United has two cabin compressors on before takeoff and the other two afterwards.  This is the procedure I have put in the checklists as it would be too difficult to turn them on immediately after takeoff.  The second pair can be turned on during climb when convenient. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 4:35 AM, masterhawk said:

Hi, I think you mean DC-8-50.

That's correct.  It was a typo in the feature list I gave to Mathijs.  I also forgot to list TrueGlass, but everyone knows that in any event.

Very nice.

I suppose the TrueGlass will not work in FSX:SE? On FSDeveloper the developers said the performance impact was too great to implement it. Have you tested this?