This looks like it will be in my hangar when it's released lol.  I know that might be awhile, but it certainly looks promising.

Finally a good representation of the DC-8!

A few questions:

1. What models will be represented  (serie 50, series 60, series super 60, series 70 with CFM upgrade)?

2. Will there be a difference between PAX and cargo models?

3. Considering online simmers and navigational equipment requirements, will a retrofit be modelled or will there be an easy way to retrofit it yourself with ISG for instance?

4. Consedring the DC-8 requires a lot of manual input (no autothrottle, very basic autopilot, complex fuel logic, ...) will there be a virtual crew available which taked over some parts of these tasks?

5. As the DC-8 has no APU will the complex start-up sequence with external air for engine 3 start and then using engine 3 to start the other engines be simulated?

Looking forward to more previews!

• Upvote 1

Hi, I'm Michael Cependa, the developer of the DC-8.

1.The 50 series only will be represented.

2. A cargo version is planned, with some changes, but doesn't exist at this time.

3. Not sure I understand question 3.

4. No virtual crew at this time, but maybe considered later.

5. The fist engine start must be with external air.  After that you can continue with external air or use bleed air from the engine or engines that are running.

• Upvote 3

I feel... old! lol.

I've been in the cockpit a couple of time for training flights at LFOE. It was on the French Air Force COTAM ones, both 50 and 62 CFM56 versions... UTA (Union des Transports Aériens) owned many  before the DC-10 replaced them over Africa.

Skip.

frafa.jpg

frafd_cfm.jpg

UTA_Douglas_DC-8-55F_Volpati-1.jpg

The aircraft wasn't developed with shared cockpit in mind, so I am not sure if that would be possible. 

Can't do X-Plane, but here is KLM:

KLM.jpg

• Upvote 1

We already have this aircraft quite some time from competitor which works quite good even in p3d V4, what can we expect

extra from this aerosoft  release. ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Do you think it would be compatible with a add on FMC or a gps like F1 gtn760?      

Totally will be buying this as well!! 

What I meant with question 3 is that just a simple INS might give problems with airspace regulations for those people who fly on networks such as IVAO. I have been a long time user of the aerosiM DC-8 merged with HJG panel and some custom made xml gauges. In order to comply with RNAV and other navigational requirements I retrofitted the panel with ISG (integrated simavionics) which allowed me to have a more modern FMS like system and an EADI and EHSI with map function. What I wanted to know now is if you plan on developing the modernised cockpit or if you would allow an easy retrofit with gauges of ISG for instance

Dear Mr. Cependa, 

It's with great happiness that I hear this news. Being a classic jetliner lover, your DC-8 will be an instant buy for me.  

I think Jessy S. has asked you, is the following: By looking at the screenshots, the plane seems to be fitted with the basic IFR navigational equipment ( 2 VORs and 2 ADFs) along with an INS system, right?  He wants to know if the plane will also feature some GPS system (default P3d/FSX GPS or third-party, albeit in a separate 2D  window) along with capability to link the GPS to the autopilot system. A basic GPS capability would be greatly appreciated by several users, in order to make it compatible with modern ATC online flying. For me, I will stick with the old VOR to VOR and NDB flying, using the INS for those looooong overwater flights!

Regarding the "other" DC-8, its systems modelling and flight model are below basic freeware-level, It's heavy on frames and more than 2 years after its release , still has several uncorrected bugs  Don' even be worried about that.  

Will it be released for FSX ,  P3D V3 or V4? 

Good luck and thanks for developing this wonderful bird!!

10 minutes ago, DC-8 Jet Trader (Jessy S.) said:

What I meant with question 3 is that just a simple INS might give problems with airspace regulations for those people who fly on networks such as IVAO. I have been a long time user of the aerosiM DC-8 merged with HJG panel and some custom made xml gauges. In order to comply with RNAV and other navigational requirements I retrofitted the panel with ISG (integrated simavionics) which allowed me to have a more modern FMS like system and an EADI and EHSI with map function. What I wanted to know now is if you plan on developing the modernised cockpit or if you would allow an easy retrofit with gauges of ISG for instance

As for integrating anythign like that into the VC, I am not planning anything like that at present.  However,  you can load standard FSX flightplans including your SIDS and STARS into the INS just by loading the flightplan into FSX/P3D.  The HSI will also show graphically the deviation from your track when switched to INS mode.  I guess the problem arises if you don't know you your SID or STAR in advance. If there add on FMC or GPS systems that act as 2D pop ups I guess you could add one, but I am speculating and have no knowledge of what's available or possible really.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PMSoares said:

I think Jessy S. has asked you, is the following: By looking at the screenshots, the plane seems to be fitted with the basic IFR navigational equipment ( 2 VORs and 2 ADFs) along with an INS system, right?

That's what it comes with, yes.  

It will work in FSX, P3D V3 and V4.  Some features may be unique to V4.

Really  looking forward to this one! 

May I make a suggestion? 
Include some very basic 2D panels. Just the autopilot and important gauges, because I found myself struggling really hard in controlling the DC-8, while having the view switched to the throttle quadrant to enable the AP in the...competitor product. That way, I can undock it and place it on another screen. 

Wingflex? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DrStrangepool said:

Really  looking forward to this one! 

May I make a suggestion? 
Include some very basic 2D panels. Just the autopilot and important gauges, because I found myself struggling really hard in controlling the DC-8, while having the view switched to the throttle quadrant to enable the AP in the...competitor product. That way, I can undock it and place it on another screen. 

Wingflex? 

That's a very good idea! An Autopilot / radio frequency 2D pop up panel is extremely useful when dealing alone with a complex SID/STAR , in a plane originally designed to be flow by a crew of three. 

• Upvote 1

I just came here to support this project - I've included it on my wish list. What a great suprise.

Probably this is not the place but I didn't expect Aerosoft to be paying attention to these old time jets. Old time props, yes (I know Mathijs Kok likes them). But jets? Mathijs, perhaps you could consider the venerable 707 sometime in the future? :) 

An INS with FS flightplan capability is a great idea. Let the "copilot" do all that tedious waypoint insertion work. 

Looking forward to this!

Edit: also great to know about the performance charts! I hate so much to have to guess those numbers or search the net for some available info...

I’m assuming this is for fsx/P3D?  The project looks phenomenal......and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Medium complexity is more than enough in this bird.....especially when you figure the original DC8 was flown with a flight crew of 3!  Keep up the great work....and you can count on my money come release!