Mathijs Kok

Douglas DC-8 preview (released)

Will the failures be simulated?

And, there will be ways to damage engines or airframe with incautious maneuvers?

Looking forward to this!! I know these things take years to develop but if there was a possibility of extending to the -20, -30, -40 and 60 series as an add-on for the future I'd buy that too! Thanks for including the CP Air livery too.

Looks amazing.  There is one aspect about this aircraft which absolutely must be modeled well and that is the sound.  I hope the team have access to good sound source files.

14 hours ago, LucG said:

If you need a beta tester for this beautiful bird just give a message;)

Drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com.  I am interested in more testers but only if you really know this aircraft. 

7 hours ago, ggi said:

Looking forward to this!! I know these things take years to develop but if there was a possibility of extending to the -20, -30, -40 and 60 series as an add-on for the future I'd buy that too! Thanks for including the CP Air livery too.

It would be nice, but not planned at present.  I would have liked to also do a 62, but there are different engines, longer fuselage, different wing, different glare shield, almost every gauge in the flight deck is subtly different. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ilgrillo said:

And, there will be ways to damage engines or airframe with incautious maneuvers?

Failures will not be simulated. 

Some damage may result from abuse of the airframe, engines and systems; no final decisions made on that yet.  But the airplane will not be so easy to damage as the default ones.  Bear in mind that Douglas deliberately broke the sound barrier with the DC-8 during testing.  Also, the wing flaps were designed to be pushed back with excessive speed. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, ErichB said:

Looks amazing.  There is one aspect about this aircraft which absolutely must be modeled well and that is the sound.  I hope the team have access to good sound source files.

TSS is doing the sound.  I'm sure there will be a video at some point to demonstrate the sound.

My very first flight as a passenger at 8 years of age was in DC8. Wow the memories Hope you will include this livery. 

download.jpg

1 hour ago, samwise7 said:

My very first flight as a passenger at 8 years of age was in DC8.

Same here - same age, too.  Eastern, KJFK-KMIA.

Actually not sure that it was a -50 - I seem to remember it as a -61, but that was a long time ago (and early in my plane-spotting days).

I'll be fine with an Eastern -50.. or any other -50.  Looking forward to this project.

Eastern Airlines DC-8

I'm sure departedflights will list plenty of historic real world destinations, complete with flight numbers and schedules, if you go looking.  It might be old, but no less 'real'.

Looking forward to this one.

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2017 at 8:09 AM, ilgrillo said:

Lol, it's not even out and people wanna break it already? :lol:

Joking aside, looking forward to seeing this, and like many others I'm sure, it will likely be an instant buy for me. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the other old bangers there are for FS, i.e. the CS 707 and the JF DC-8, although one presumes with limiting this latest one to the simulation of just one variant of the Greasy Eight will mean it can be a bit less of a shotgun approach to simulating the thing than the JF one, which is kind of fun in spite of the patching issues.

All we need now is a Convair 880, a Caravelle and a Mercure and I'll be happy.

13 hours ago, Chock said:

Lol, it's not even out and people wanna break it already? :lol:

:)

Ha!
Yes, I think a certain tense given by weightlessness and by the fragility of the real life makes the experience better. It makes you fly more responsibly, and it's tremendously fun! :)

In this three person cockpit with so many manual controls it is absolutely impossible for a single simmer to handle all tasks that appear when there is an emergency. Even in a modern three person cockpit that's almost impossible. We have done extensive tests with many add-ons to see how simmers handle emergencies and while they often survive, most of the time it has very little to do with realism for the simple reason it takes two highly trained persons to deal with that, not a single amateur and a PC. We should give pilots the credit they deserve!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

In this three person cockpit with so many manual controls it is absolutely impossible for a single simmer to handle all tasks that appear when there is an emergency. Even in a modern three person cockpit that's almost impossible. We have done extensive tests with many add-ons to see how simmers handle emergencies and while they often survive, most of the time it has very little to do with realism for the simple reason it takes two highly trained persons to deal with that, not a single amateur and a PC. We should give pilots the credit they deserve!

Yeah,  I honestly don't understand all the failure hoopla and what sense of achievement is actually gained.

• Upvote 1

Well the advantage of a sim as opposed to real life is that we have a pause button, so theoretically at least one could do all of the proper things necessary in an emergency all by oneself. So whilst I'm not bothered too much about flight sim stuff simulating failures myself, I can understand that it might appeal to some people.

What it can't simulate however, is what I call the 'oh sh** factor'. On the two or three occasions where I've had to deal with an out of the ordinary situation in an aeroplane I was flying for real, the thought: 'if you f*** this up Al Baby, you are going to die.' was most definitely the thing which popped into my head before any checklist acronyms did so lol.

• Upvote 1

Another feature: DC-8s cannot extend spoilers in flight.  They are only for landing and some of them will act as spoilerons when the landing gear is down.  To slow down in flight, the DC-8 uses the engine 2 & 3 thrust reversers.  In the sim, you can do this by clicking either the #2 or #3 reverser handles.  Similarly, when landing you can use the default key for all four reversers or click on the reverser handles for just engines 2 & 3, as was often done with the real aircraft.

1biHLgLPSetLlV2qZmviaXDsWlcpaqbnv

1xsMgBAczMGz53dBkGwPlraxuw7LGcua7

The pictures don't work here, there's just a bunch of weird text where they're supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

In short (and to keep clean the thread of DC-8), I'd like some little features. For example, in a renowned twin turboprops payware, due to a "macho" landing, the right tyre of the landing gear went out of the rim.

(End of OT)

Trying again with the livery first.  For some reason I can't upload any more, my Flickr ID is gone and I am now trying to link from Google DrivelAhDI

1biHLgLPSetLlV2qZmviaXDsWlcpaqbnv

• Upvote 2

Can't seem to edit my posts either, which is unfortunate as I make many typos.  Google Drivel should have been Google Drive.