CRJ HYD

Garyo

With all HYD pumps in the off position, I am still able to do a control check and run the flaps.  I don't there should be any movement on the FLT CONT synoptic page. 

GaryO

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

The CRJ is true fly-by-wire (= cables with hydraulic support) so you can move the controls without hydraulics, it just requires a bit more strengh. The flaps and slats have electrical motors and are not connected to the hydraulic system at all.

Respectfully that is not correct only the flaps and stab trim run off electric motors. The alierons rudder and elevators are moved by hydraulic power control units which receive inputs from the cables but with no hydraulic power moving the cables will cause no move to control surfaces. The multi function spoilers and ground lift dump are electro hydraulic. The SSCU receives input from various systems and sends electrical signals the the power control units to use hydraulic pressure to extend the surface however hydraulic power is still needed to move the controls. 

You are so correct on the Slats/Flaps.  They are electrically powered.  I don't think I should get any control surface movement without HYD power.

Can a CRJ pilot confirm that with NO HYD power,you will get NO HYD powered contro surface movememnt.  I.E., on the ground doing a control check.  Should you,or should you not get any control movement and what type of indication would you see on the FLT. CTRL synoptic page?

Thanks,

GaryO

Yes. I can and I will. With the engines off and no ACMP operating you will not be able to move any alierons, rudder, elevator or any of the multi function spoilers or ground spoilers. The rudder alierons and elevators are moved by moving the control wheel which through cables moves a valve body to direct hydraulic pressure to the actuator to move the surface. With no hydraulic pressure you can move the controls all day long which will move the valve body but if there is no pressure then nothing will happen as there is no fluid for the valve to port to the actuator. On the spoiler side same kind of deal except the valve moves in response to electrical signals from the SSCU and not cables

• Developer

This is what the FCOM says. I took the underlined part as "the control wheels mechanically control the control surfaces". I never asked a pilot or tech about it since it seemed very clear. But apparently the FCOM is in Canadian, not English, and the sentence means "we put wires all through the aircraft and don't connect them to the actual surfaces but to hydraulic actuators right next to them"... I'll change it.

So,,, if the yoke is moved with no HYD power on, there will be NO movement of the aileron, rudder, stab and MFS indications on the HYD synoptic page.  Is that correct?

GaryO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, Hans Hartmann said:

This is what the FCOM says. I took the underlined part as "the control wheels mechanically control the control surfaces". I never asked a pilot or tech about it since it seemed very clear. But apparently the FCOM is in Canadian, not English, and the sentence means "we put wires all through the aircraft and don't connect them to the actual surfaces but to hydraulic actuators right next to them"... I'll change it.

Just went through systems class on the CRJ 700/900. I can confirm that is correct wires to a pcu then HYD to move the surfaces.

• 1 month later...

Archived