Mathijs Kok

Aerosoft A318/A319/A320/A321/A330 Professional Preview (part 4)

Important Post
Normal Post
7 hours ago, Joan Alonso said:

Hi,

Looking the screenshots I see that some of the light knobs (flood, overhead...) are partially to the right.

Will the AS Airbus 2018 have gradual light knobs? I mean, not like old versions (On/Off). That's something I always missed on the AS bus.

Don't know the reason why has never been implemented, but now that we have 64 and DL options... 

Thanks!

As far as I know, there's no change regarding dimmable lights. The reason has nothing to do with 64-bits and DL, but mainly due to the fact, that it's rarely used by pilots. Usually they turn it to one setting and leave it there. You can find answers here from Mathijs and here from Tom. Also one here from Frank (from the old topic).

Anyway, that was the explanations given. Personally I think it's justified. Also given the price-range of the product.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Meyerflyer said:

I did understand before that there is no list yet. My question was, if you could create one to show us the new features of the 2018 Airbus. If you can't thats also okay. Would have been nice and I thought the other users would have been interested, too.

But as said, that list would be hundreds of items long, this is NOT an update but a full new build, a new product. When we get close to release I will make a list of the major things that have changed.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

will the FMGS have winds aloft inputs now for correct ETA's etc?

As far as predictions go, yes. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We are now testing RealLights and TrueGlass (from TFDi) and when that technology works without much impact on FPS it will change these issues.

Ah, thanks for the information, Mathijs. It was my impression, that you failed to reach an agreement with TFDi, regarding licensing their technology? Has this changed?

Just a Question: How hard is it to model/code separate on or off functions for the cockpit lights? because i remember that with the previous version it was just on or off where the knobs were linked to each other. and then via the config manager, you had the option for dark or bright VC lights.

• Downvote 1

Many thanks @Anders Bermann.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We are now testing RealLights and TrueGlass (from TFDi) and when that technology works without much impact on FPS it will change these issues.

Great great news. So is there a chance to see them with the first release? Or are we talking on a mid-term basis?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, phlpeo said:

Just a Question: How hard is it to model/code separate on or off functions for the cockpit lights? because i remember that with the previous version it was just on or off where the knobs were linked to each other. and then via the config manager, you had the option for dark or bright VC lights.

Mathijs just stated that a new lighting system (TFDi RealLight) is tested for the buses. Why do you ask such a question, if a new lighting system would completely replace the existing one?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Mathijs just stated that a new lighting system (TFDi RealLight) is tested for the buses. Why do you ask such a question, if a new lighting system would completely replace the existing one?

you might have misread my question. it is not about the lighting system but the interface between the user and the lights. the old system had on/off with only dark or bright option in the manager. but not on or off per knob only for all the cockpit lights.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, phlpeo said:

you might have misread my question. it is not about the lighting system but the interface between the user and the lights. the old system had on/off with only dark or bright option in the manager. but not on or off per knob only for all the cockpit lights.

In the P3d V4 version light should be almost completely modeled. Depends a bit on how our tests go, we still feel it is of relatively little importance because real

pilots tell us they really hardly use any dimming. Again, I do not know how often you change the light level in your car but my Merc has at least 20 settings for interior light and I used them once, to set it to my liking when we bought the car.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joan Alonso said:

Great great news. So is there a chance to see them with the first release? Or are we talking on a mid-term basis?

If we use them they will be in our initial release. For this release we do not 'plan' for Service Packs with new features. That probably means we need a bit longer but that does not really bother me. As said, this is a base for a whole project line so we better get it right. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

or this release we do not 'plan' for Service Packs with new features

So now we are getting closer to release, is there any chance to see 2d pop up display in the new bus?

58 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It's being discussed but we are still not fans of that. 

Mathijs you said this about it.

“Seeing the ND in 2D is seeing the ND with eyes in your crotch.  I see the attraction, I am just saying that is NOT how a pilot sees them. And as you know we rather not simulate the aircraft but the job of the pilot.”

Would you please consider this as constructive criticism of the statement above and why i think you should consider adding them.

I will do this under your philosophy of simulating the job of the pilot not simulating the aircraft.

Screenshots_NEWVC_20171110_001.png

I would guest most people have around a 28" monitor and this screenshot above could have been taken on one. The view above is a well used perspective as it takes in a lot. But when you sitting in one of them seat you're sitting considerably closer to the displays and I am sure you know the size of them IRL.  

Below, is a terrible photo taken of my setup. The top screen is 28" the bottom one is a 24" but the pop up screen are increased to match the size they are in the real cockpit also the screen is at an angle to mimic the angle of the panel IRL . Like they do, you have to look/glance down but the detail is there and clear to see. With that in mind now look and see how small the screens are in the VC in the screenshot above I don't think that represents a captain real pov at all. I know it a compromise with peripheral vision but hopefully you see the point how valuable pop up 2D screens are. IMO people would be better to set a far more realistic view out the window like below and another looking down at the screens with chase plane. But hey each to there own. The picture below shows how big the screens are and how small the cockpit is on a 28" screen.

iphone.jpg

• Like 2

With pop up display is possible to switch pfd nd and ecam on other monitors and make a prosumer home cockpit like this (737) for example...

20130222_193132.jpg

• Upvote 1

vor 1 hour , Nyxx sagte:

Mathijs you said this about it.

“Seeing the ND in 2D is seeing the ND with eyes in your crotch.  I see the attraction, I am just saying that is NOT how a pilot sees them. And as you know we rather not simulate the aircraft but the job of the pilot.”

Would you please consider this as constructive criticism of the statement above and why i think you should consider adding them.

I will do this under your philosophy of simulating the job of the pilot not simulating the aircraft.

Screenshots_NEWVC_20171110_001.png

"...With that in mind now look and see how small the screens are in the VC in the screenshot above I don't think that represents a captain real pov at all...."

Nyxx: To underfeed your arguments you used an image with the minimum zoom / wides angle. Of course the displays are MUCH LARGER in the default zoom view you get on startup. Thats like you should an image of the sky around sunset, and claim that the sky would be golden all over the day! There are a lot of images around with larger displays AND the same distance of the observer from the displays.... ;-) Check some pages back....

1 hour ago, klisura said:

With pop up display is possible to switch pfd nd and ecam on other monitors and make a prosumer home cockpit like this (737) for example...

And we have always said that we did not create this project for that use. That has not changed in six years.

• Upvote 4

Gents let's put the 2d panel issue to bed for now, we understand some people like it, some people have no need for it. We heard all arguments and as said will discuss it internally. Repeating what has been said makes no sense and will not change our decision.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Those are a very good top 3 for sure.  Real (in reality) is what I feel is the best deal.  Connected flight decks/shared cockpits have always been troublesome.  Will be cool to see what you have in store for us there. 

10 minutes ago, Pairbus said:

Hope we can get the Airbus for christmas ohdearsass_001.png.f9415d5e552c60402992fae93193affb.png

Let me comment on that. You will not unfortunately. 

As said earlier today we are experimenting with new modules for the windshield and lights. As the graphics are so incredibly important for us it was hard for us to accept the limitations of P3d V4 in these aspects. We think we can overcome these limitations now, but at the cost of some more time investment. Limited, say 10 days or so, but it drops me right into scheduling issues. Some of the team members have been working without any serious breaks for close to a year now, so we always said we would make sure December would be when some of the team members could be offline. That moves the release to early 2018. Personally we are not too bothered about that because as I explained, we do not want to mess this up. It's a big project, both for consumer use, but also for our professional department. We have a lot of educational accounts that need updating.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, RandyD59 said:

Connected flight decks/shared cockpits have always been troublesome. 

If you can reach a weather server from inside the sim, CFD should work.  Getting rid of the firewall and ports issue was the key reason we did not want peer to peer anymore.