Vote up, features and pinned

• Aerosoft

The real contest in our trip is of course the way you make your diary. The better your images, stories and logbook the higher the chance of getting free product.

As absolute master of this event it will be up to me to decide (drunk on power for days, my wife hates me). The diaries that impress me most are pinned, those that are pretty damned cool are featured. But if you vote posts up it shows that you like what you see. And I promise to respect that. So vote anything you see and like up. Don't vote down unless it is obviously spam or an idiot trying to mess with us.

The voting is cool!  I never expected to be a contender as a favorite.  I'm not a freelance writer. I'm just an old Marine who flies with a computer because after over 1,000 RW flight hours, most of them in combat, I can barely walk, much less pass another flight physical!  And to date I haven't discovered how to include screenshots in your site although I've posted screen shots in other sites for years.. 

Having said that, I really am enjoying flying to and observing scenery from places I'd probably have never "flown" to otherwise.  However I have to say I'm hugely disappointed with some of the latest rule announcements!  I won't say changes because they may have been there all along and not announced!  Especially the Spreadsheet Logbook entry Instructions I just saw!!  Does that mean at some point if I don't fill out your spreadsheet as well as do your daily diary logs I'm no longer entered?  Also I wonder why this spreadsheet wasn't mentioned before the event began?

I admit at 71 I'm not anywhere up to date on how to do logbooks in the fashion you are now requesting!  I certainly have all my hours, weather, etc. logged into the diary, which is what I was given to understand was the standard!  But, and it's a big but, I don't know how to log flight hours etc. into your spreadsheet "system."   Suddenly this thing comes up and says you need to enter your hours there as well as the aforementioned diary to be considered on time! 

Although I'm no writer like "Windswept" who is writing about Lambert and Manwell, I have tried my best to make diary entries for every flight.  Now several days into the mission I'm supposed to make entries into a feeble at best spreadsheet to keep myself current!!?? I am currently stopped at HEPS awaiting the next leg on 10 October.   But in this leg I have flown a lot more hours and admired a lot of the scenery of Greece and other places before getting there.  IS THERE A WAY TO ACHIEVE CREDIT FOR MY OTHER TRIPS?  I'm waiting to hear a ruling on that.  If not, THAT'S OK I have and will continue to enjoy flying in this part of the world I've never flown in RW.  However based upon this posting concerning the spreadsheet, I can't help but feel the goal posts, sidelines, length of field, etc. are being changed even as we move along.

I truly appreciate the effort going into providing this challenge!  And though I'll never be a "contender" I hope to be allowed to be a end to end part of the experience.  And by flying a "hot rod" plane' whenever I get the chance I will take various side trips. I just wish more had been decided and published before we began!

Rupert

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your service Sir! I am not staff (am a Vet) just another virtual pilot, but I believe this really is just for enjoyment. So have fun with it. Aerosoft.com also sells some pretty cool flight sim stuff to aid in the enjoyment as well as you probably already know.  I believe they will give some software away to the person who can write up the best funny stuff but its still for enjoyment purposes. If you have a question regarding the process, feel free to ask me as I will answer to best of my ability to help ya out. Hope you have a great day and keep the shiny side up!

On 10/19/2017 at 12:00 PM, nmetheny said:

Thank you for your service Sir! I am not staff (am a Vet) just another virtual pilot, but I believe this really is just for enjoyment. So have fun with it. Aerosoft.com also sells some pretty cool flight sim stuff to aid in the enjoyment as well as you probably already know.  I believe they will give some software away to the person who can write up the best funny stuff but its still for enjoyment purposes. If you have a question regarding the process, feel free to ask me as I will answer to best of my ability to help ya out. Hope you have a great day and keep the shiny side up!

nmetheny,  Thank you so much for your service Sir!!  As to the issues I was concerned with in the early days of this fun trip, that was truly early days.  I now feel confident that I have a better understanding and appreciation of this event!  And I've managed, as far as I know, to get up to date on the logbook requirements as well.

I too am just a virtual pilot, these days.  I was discharged from the Marine Corps when I could no longer pass a physical and found a non-military career from which I am now retired and am very satisfied with.  Having said that, I owe my enjoyment of being a virtual pilot to my, now also retired, VA shrink.  As head of his department he got all the "hard cases."  Which you won't be surprised to note, I was one of those he had to deal with. 

My doctor said a whole lot of my issues had to do with my feelings of guilt.  As in, while fighting a war I realized how many innocent people lost their lives, their homes, and certainly their sources of income due to multiple happenings they had no control over.

He suggested as a former pilot, I get a flight simulator and "fly" over the areas I remembered flying over in combat.  WHAT A WONDERFUL SUGGESTION!!  I got Flight Sim 2004 and started flying over many areas in Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand where I had flown in combat.  As shown today these are normal parts of their local environment and I've never been shot at while flying there even once!!

And like long-term exposure to any other feel-good product, I'm well & truly hooked on "flying" again!  So I'm really enjoying this event, flying various aircraft using FSX as my current simulator.  I am especially enjoying reading of the escapes of others also on this trip!  And, I admit, my wife often walks into my office and asks what Lambert is up to today as well!!  How great is that!!??

Rupert

Archived