Breitling 2

robertorizzo

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leg#12 Calcutta-Rangoon,

leaving India for Burma. Busy wet and hot Calcutta atmosphere is behind our shoulders, flooded lands slip slowly below our wings.

Rangoon airport (nowadays Yangoon) with its gold old buildings welcome us at the Far East borders.

Please login to display this image.

Inflight we planned the fourth part of the ATW: il will take three legs from Calcutta to Hong Kong (Kai Tak), via Rangoon and Bangkok (old iconic Don Muang VTBD airport).

Leg#13 Rangoon-Bangkok

From Burma to Siam, reaching the hard-core of the Far East. My choice fell on Don Muang Airport as the previous International Airport, well before Suvarnabhumi entered in service. Almost all the world airlines in the old 60s, 70s, and 80,s landed there, from Alitalia to Swissair. I was there in 1978, then 79 and 81, I remember the intensive fragrance of flowers and spices of Thailand almost everywhere, that took me in Dom Muang. I remember as well the first time i ate pineapple with salt on its first floor lounge, my first and last 1st class SQ B747/200 flight back to Rome, since my economy class ticket was overbooked and last, but not least, the enchanting smile of a young lady on the ground floor. Memories, they call it memories.

"Nothing is ever really lost to us, as long as we remember it"

"That's why we have a modern GPS onboard, sir?"

"That's why I told you to switch it off and head to the second star to the right then straight till morning"

Sawasdee.

Next step...Hong Kong, Kai Tak International Airport. The Dragon.

" We have not missed you and I, we have not missed that many splendored thing"

Stay in touch with Breitling 2.

And here Leg#14 comes. BKK-HKG in old IATA codes means Bangkok-Hong Kong.

The weather is expected to be fine along all our path, visibility in Kai Tak is more than 10nm, just a moderate crosswind from the left blowing on runway 13.

As usual an early morning departure from Bangkok to catch the best light of the dawn with the sky still full of stars

The IGS13 still remains one of the most fascinating approaches, togeter with Canarsie in JFK, Expressway in LGA and few others.

"Ring for a taxi!"

"Straight to old Mandarin Hotel, sir?"

"Not straight, first I have to climb the hill on the back of the hospital and reach the tree; there's someone waiting there to wave. It will not take much time."

13 hours ago, Jeff W said:

Great shots of the approach and landing at Kai Tak.  Terrific camera angles and framing.  

Thanks Jeff for your kind words. There's some little work behind every picture and it is gratifying when someone notices it.

Safe landings.

8 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Superb landing shots.

You are way ahead of me:D

Windswept

Thanks Wind. And you are well ahead on storytelling. So next time I take my Nikon and come with Lambert&Roger&Maxwell. BUT I fear I might not stand the strain.actually, I'm sure. You all have a beer paid in Nathan Road Pub in Kowloon.

From the 101st floor of Mandarin Hotel, delighted by the beauty of Kowloon Bay.

The Breitling 2 flightplan to Yokohama is ready. The choosen airport is Tokio Haneda, the closest to Yokohama.

First leg will be Taipei, then Nagasaki, Osaka and finally, Haneda TYO.

So, as usual, stay in touch with Breitling 2 flying to the Rising Sun Land!.

Rest time in HKG is over, more than half a world ia still ahead us to get back to London, new adventures are waiting, so, it's time now for Leg#15 HKG-TPE.

"Sad to leave this oriental gem, isn'it?"

"Not properly sir, we're not leaving anything, on the contrary we're taking with us part of the soul of Hong Kong".

"Bye Kai Tak".

TPE Chang Kai Shek

Leg#16 Taipei-Nagasaki

Following the North West coastal line, then straight to Nagasaki.

Just on time for a shower.

Leg#17 Osaka-Yokoama (Tokio Haneda).

Slowly climbing out of Osaka Kansai International Airport.

"17. Is 17 an unlucky number? I never seem to remember that".

When reaching FL110 the answer comes with the abrubt engine four extinguishing. Despite many attempts, no way to restart it.

"Engine 1,2 and 3 running, FL110 levelled, metar is favourable, let's go ahead".

At last, throughout a magnificent sight of Mount Fuji on our left, Breitling 2 lands safely in Tokio with its 4th engine still feathered.

17 hours ago, Jeff W said:

Good Airmanship bringing it safely in to Tokyo.  The Lockheed Constellation was fondly known by its pilots as “the world's best tri-motor

...and triple engine is better than triple seven as said by fdx md11 pilots:D 

Taking advantage of the bad wheater in Haneda, this is Breitling 2 next section plan.

Yokoama-Petropavlosk-Unalaska-Anchorage-Vancouver-San Francisco

Here Leg#18 comes and we're on the road again.

A six hours track to Petropavlosk, Khamkhatka Peninsula, very very far to the east of Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik CCCP.

Six propliner hours from the crazy busy Tokyo to the lost and forgotten land of vulcanoes. From pachinco players among the neon lights to the cold iced naked land.

Archived