Breitling 2

robertorizzo

Hi captains, I'm in (if still on time).

This should be my first around the world tour in P3D v4.

London Southend will be my departure and arriving airport, I ported it from v3 and it works.

My aircraft choice is historic, A2A Constellation in Breitling Livery.

Safe flights and favourable winds.

FlightPlan and pics coming.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

London: one day before the departure.

It has been a hurry morning. We read the Mail from Mathijs last evening and it took us one night to take our decision. Breitling 2, the restored Constellation, deserved an iconic flight and here it was. Early sunday morning everithing was ready to cross the Channel and get to London Southend, ready to take part to the 80 days round the world tour. The lazy sunday was spent between the Reform Club, to place our inscription to the tour in the hands of Mr Kok, and the old Victorian hotel, sending some mails to Air France, Wideroe and Air Tahiti, our virtual airlines asking for our leave of vacancies. In the meantime in the airfield ramp, mechanics worked hard on those four smoky engines, filling oil and other lubricants. Time to talk and to know our fellows durino the party.

Site: a dark tipical london pub, very close to Tower Bridge.

When: today October the  2nd, looking at the void glass of the 2nd pint of IPA.

"So, we're in."

"it seems so, sir. But we'll be out of this in a minute if you do not make up your mind you're going to fly sober ".

"If I weren't drunk of beer I've never bought a new gtx 1070 videocard on Amazon like I did just now from my mobile".

"I've to notice you'e right, sir; no more stutters around the world let's hope."

"Take me to Southend, Connie is waiting, Gentlemen like us should never make old  wonderful ladies to wait for us."

"you can't fly like this, sir "

" take me onboard, tell the policemen you'll be the pilot, I'll take a nap before takeoff". She knows me and my touch on the yoke as much as I know her, she'll forgive me"

Please login to display this image.

"It seems we have a long path ahead, sir".

"It's the one we have behind I'm afraid of"

"Should we forget it, sir?"

"On the contrary, it's our fuel".

3,2,1 Now! Full Throttle!

Time to say goodbye to England greenest hills, out of Southend, today, Leg#1 LON-GVA.

"Geneve..., any Genevieve in your life, sir?"

"I'm lacking as much I can remember"

"Never say never, they say, maybe this evening"

"Let's start hitting the centerline of runway 05"

"First item accomplished, sir".

Great bird, great pictures. Had some doubts to use the "Connie" myself for this event. Decided after all to use the DC-6B and keep the "Connie" for VA flights.

Puk

"I feel sad, you didn't introduce me, sir"

"you're right, my fault: ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to introduce you my FO, engineer and mechanic, Mr Be (name) There (surname). Great worker, even in p3d4, reached the cruise altitude, he takes care of the plane and he places gently in my hands at the distance from the arrival I set before. He attends the neighbours of avsim."

Leg#2 Geneve-Naples

"Is that a cuckoo clock on the left side of the cockpit, Mr There?"

"It's hand made here in Geneve, sir. It should remind us time is far more important than speed or distance in a propliner, sir."

"It's what we learned many years ago with Tom from www.calclassic.com".

"Let's load the coil spring, and let Leg#2 to start".

"The Mont Blanc, crossing the Alps. The Vesuvio is waiting for us"

"Turin, elegant city, former italian capital, a bridge lauched through France to Spain".

"Genoa, ships, my first virtual airline, Air Cargo Express, how many flights to and from that runway along the sealine: the rwy 11 approach, terrifing in strong winds".

"Elba island, Napoleon's house".

"Naples coming"

Leg#3 Naples-Kerkira

Slowly climbing out of Naples; as once an old man, in an airport (LIRF) said to me, you'll love Naples or you'll hate Naples, but she never will be indifferent to you. That's right.

"Mt Vesuvio in the background, may you see Magica's house, sir?"

"Magika? The enchanting sorceress? It's a looong time I don't hear of her, does she still live on the slopes of Vesuvio?".

"She'll do forever, for us, kids of the sixties, sir".

"We ARE sixties now".

"You see? Again, time makes the difference, not speed or distance, as for propliners".

"Silent that cookoo".

"What an enchanting Mediterranean sunset, isn't it?"

"It's the time that makes the desire and softens the heart of the sailor"

"What's this music that seems to arise from far away, sir?".

"Mr. There, sometime I fear you can listen to my thoughts as you were me".

"It's something like...mermaids singing."

"Mermaids...singing...Mediterranean Sea...Ionic Islands? Mr There, lower the gear, we're approaching Kerkira".

Leg#3 Naples-Kerkira was nice and smooth, technicians of AtiTech in Capodichino modified something of the carburetors, engines spool up sooner with much more spectacular white smoke and flames get out the exhaust pipes when full throttle is open. We'll take some good pics maybe during night flights.

The new videocard is on its way, ETA is in a couple of days, maybe it will be installed in Port Said. Anxious to take some videos too, particularly the Dubai and Hong Kong landings. Guess this last airport? BTW

"Nobody choose old Kai Tak, says the Around The World Tour in 80 Days Herald, sir"

"Who wants to land on a golf course, a commercial center and a parking, nowadays? CLK is the present and the future".

"Maybe who is flying on a past plane like us should land in the past too, sir."

"Get those IGS13 landing charts out of the dust, paths to glory are paved with recklesness".

Legs #4 and #, 5 as planned, were Kerkira-Iraklion and Iraklion- Port Said. Almost uneventful, we enjoyed the good weather with almost no cloud (AsNext+ASCA): both online on IVAO anyway with no ATC. During the taxi to the holding point of runway 27, in Iraklion, good the visibility was favourable, we sought the lights of a 737 on final without any communication on 122.80 frequency; he landed and, popped away. Things that happen from time to time. 

We really desired to complete the first part of the journey a couple of days earlier on the schedule, to have some rest and hopefully to install the videocard. At the moment Mr Be There has in charge the plane, during today second leg, FL 150, heading 121, IAS 179, GS256 a tailwind of 27 knots. In Port Said the wind is west and we expect a visual circle to land military approach. Old plane, but with gps facility and Internet access; noblesse oblige. Pictures will come when on ground.  

To see saw seen, to see saw seen, to see saw seen, to see saw seen, to see saw seen, to see saw seen. Grumpf. We saw the lights, the lights were seen by us. Write it down ten times.

"Time for a selfie"

"Leaving Iraklion 1&2"

"Port Said...OMG, terrible! The worst default airstrip since FS1, let's get out of here as soon as possible, sorry I can't take pictures!".

Wondering where to find the minimum runway lenght for takeoff at a given weight...an...insane idea for another fs iconic airfield to visit along the path is taking form...where all of this began...yeeesss.

Just an interim day today in Port Said, new videocard hasn't arrived yet, so we went for a brief journey to Giza site.

What a week! From the cold and wet mouth of the Thames, through the Alps, to the warm delta of Nilus. A sea of sand is waiting ahead of all of us, with its desert and dunes. People of the Tour and machines have already passed difficulties and they will face with hard and dangerous proofs in the coming two weeks to India. Let's take some rest and do some maintenance.

On 06/10/2017 at 11:42 AM, robertorizzo said:

Wondering where to find the minimum runway lenght for takeoff at a given weight...an...insane idea for another fs iconic airfield to visit along the path is taking form...where all of this began...yeeesss.

Hello Roberto, I fly also this wonderfull aircraft :wub: in this adventure :D

Regarding your question for "the minimum runway lenght for takeoff at a given weight.." I personnaly use the page 108/120 of the C069 POH which is the military version of the L049....

Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for Army C-69 Airplane (PDF, 13.3Mb)
http://justplaneprints.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/C69_POH.pdf

happy landings :)

Archived