Rupert's in

rupert

SUNSET OVER THE CANYON!

We lucked out!  Someone wanted to look at the sunset.  So we took off at 16:00 and did some sightseeing.  Total time 1.2 hours.  Distance none.  1 flight.

Rupert

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After leaving the Grand Canyon we went over to see what all deal was about Moab (KVNY.)  We left Moab still wondering what the deal was!  All we saw was some desert and a few people bouncing around in off-road vehicles.

So went over to Crested Butte (KGVC) hoping for a charter, no luck.  So we wandered over to Aspen (KASE) to visit friends. And of course hoped to get another charter.  What we discovered is it's a good thing the weather was perfect at KASE because the ILS on the GPS was a mess!  There were three (3) ILS Feathers shown for KASE.  But only one (1) actually even points in the general direction of a runway!!     (See the Screenshot)

After over-nighting in Aspen with friends we headed out to Eagle County this morning.  Again no luck getting a job.  So we just slid over to Centenial (KAPA) near Denver.

Screens shots are of climbing out.  The KASE ILS. Approaching Eagle Co. Co. Roll-out on the Eagle County duty.  A high mountain lake.  Tower view of our takeoff from KLVT.

Rupert

Bonus Day!!

Almost as soon as we landed at KRAP and signed in for charters a wealthy couple asked about seeing Devils Tower up close.  Luckily we know a Huey guy who operates out of HPDT (Devils Tower chopper base.)  Sadly there's no airport nearby to drop the Honda into to pickup the Huey.

So we jumped into a local rental Grand Caravan and made the trip to Hulett airfield (W43).  From there we'll take the tour bus down into the town and meet my buddy with his Huey.  Apparently my pal Mike and the FBO at Hulett had a falling out so he's not allowed to land there anymore.  Of course after the chopper flight we'll have to take the bus back to pick up the Caravan. :wacko:

Total of 3 hours flown.  156 miles counting out and back to Hulett.  Screen shots include Tower from the Caravan before we landed at Hulett.  Hulett hangers, Hulett tour sign.  Huey Idling The village right after taking off and going out to get some altitude built up & a view coming from the backside of the Tower.

After gobbling turkey and then flying to the Devils Tower yesterday we were pretty tuckered out.

So after a late brunch and time in the sauna we finally left Rapid City at 14:50 bound for Pierre SD. (KPIR), to Huron Regional (KHON) and by the time we got to Burkins SD. (KBKX) we were done end so we set down there for the night.  Total time on the Watts 2.3 hours.  Distance traveled in 3 flights 272 miles.  The weather was temperate at 35F calm winds and qlmost 50 mile visibility with a light haze.  But as the sun was going down approaching Brukins we decided rather than going to sleep in the air, we'd call it a day!

The only screen shot I had the energy to take today will traveling to our overnight stop at Burkins (KBKX)

Rupert

What a difference a day makes!!  Woke in a pretty Sunday morning and decided to do a day of jumping from spot to spot and sight see.  On takeoff just before noon the wind was calm to occasional gusts from 007.  Visibility was more than 50 miles with a few light clouds.  37*F and 29.44"  Seven flights later we ended up in Anoka Community Airport (Kane), which is a nearby suburb of Minneapolis at 19:10.  Total flight time 3.5 hours.  Miles flown was 466. 

I took a few shots today.  The first one was when a haze layer came in and spoiled our clear sky for a while.  At that time we were heading to Pierre Regional. (KPIR) The next was a view of us from the Huron Tower. (KHON)  A finally view of downtown Minneapolis from the plane just before we turned to KANE.

Rupert

Yes, when you're on a long journey, there are days when you are a Slug a Bed!

It was 12:10 Before we lifted off from KANE heading towards Chipper Valley (KEAU)  Weather wasn't the greatest!!  Winds from 150 @10-16, 5,000' ceiling, Light snow and 33*F.   So icing was definitely an issue.  However after landing at KEAU our other legs were quite pleasant.  After 5 landings and over 1.3 Watts Meter Hours we landed at 8W1.  Also known as Antonneau Memorial Airport in the suburbs of Green Bay Wisconsin for the night. 

It was a very enjoyable day including our first taste of snow in North America this year.  However both FSX and ORBX Global have hugely fumbled the ball! 

I have attended several National Football League games at Lambeau Field In Green Bay.  In fact on more than one memorable occasion I was thrilled to be the guest of a Kentucky legend you might have heard of, PAUL HOURNING!!  Hourning and my brother went to high school together at Flaget High in Kentucky.  And on more than a few occasions, Paul ate dinner at my home while still in high school.   So whenever I was going to a Green Bay Packers game I always tried to contact the then recently retired Paul Hourning and often stood by his side on the sidelines during games.  But "flying" into Green Bay I could find no representation on Lambeau Field!!!!  Title Town USA is all about the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field!!  What happened to the chance to show the throne of National Football League Football by leaving Lambeau out!!??

This is so upsetting that I'm not even going to bother to include screenshots I took today of places not nearly as interesting as Lambeau!!

I did find one screenshot from yesterday that I really feel I should share.  It's on the duty at KANE (Anoka County-Blaine Airport, Minnesota.)  And yes, it did snow yesterday, at KANE.  Once we left there we didn't see additional snow falling but there was some snow on the ground.  Which having spent several Thanksgiving weekends in Wisconsin doesn't surprise me at all.  

The close observer might also notice the OAT is showing 1C in this cockpit view.  So yes, I did turn the anti-icing on just in case.  Again as I mentioned, once we left KANE the snow etc. quickly went away.

Rupert

So now it's the 29th and we're ready to leave the Green Bay area from 8W1 to KDTW is the first leg of 250 miles.  Weather is great Wind 179* at 3 Visibility 50+ miles 31*F temp and 30.01" on the barometer.  Not exactly lifting off early at 11:00 but we're only going to Erie Pa. today by way of a couple of doglegs.  Approaching Lake Erie the snow cover is much less prominent as well.

We made routine stops in Lansing Michigan and at Willow Road near Detroit.  Plans were to land at KDTW (Detroit International) but the overcast was very heavy and their ILS system for 23 Right was down. Not wanting to be stacked up for a hour or more like everyone on IFR approaches we continued on to London, yes but that's London Ontario Canada, not London England.  And finally called it a day at Erie Pa. too tired to even take a screen shot there.  So it's 4 flights, 3.2 hours and 433 miles.

Screenies are of us on top near Green Bay, approaching Lake Erie, lots of lakes in Michigan, Downtown Detroit, and last on final for CYXU (London Ont.)  BTW: Looking at downtown Detroit in that shot might make you wonder why we didn't land at KDTW.  As you'll notice Detroit itself is right on the water.  I'm assuming the temperature difference compared to KDTW which is much more inland is why the overcast is much less in Detroit.  In fact it way way too haze for even a chance to land unaided by ILS.

Rupert

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"  Those are truly words to live by!!  Today was a perfect example of how it felt to be the bug!!:o:o

Last night after arrival in Erie Pa. we did our normal sign in for anyone who desired a charter anywhere close by along our route of travel.  About 21:00 we received a message that if we would meet a party at Buffalo International around 15:00 on the 30th, what is now today, they'd charter a flight for four to view Niagara Falls!  Since KBUF was our next planned stop we could pick up some much needed funds by flying people to a place we wanted to view ourselves.  HOW COOL IS THAT!!!???;)

So this morning, we slept in and finally took off from Erie at exactly noon for the short 82 mile trip to KBUF.  The weather was very good.  With winds from 170* @11, 50 mile visibility, an overcast at 9,700' and temperature of 41*F.  Considering where we were we'd probably be happy with that weather forecast almost all year long!

Arriving at KBUF after flying a total of 82 miles in .6 hours and well before 13:00 we took our first meal of the day, lunch, there and refueled and awaited our 15:00 charter.  About 16:45 we got a call saying they couldn't spring free today.  But if we'd be there tomorrow morning at 11:00 we'd fly the flight.:o

So here we are at KBUF spending the night and hoping our "guests" will show up tomorrow morning!!

I am including screenies of leaving Erie, setting up to approach to KBUF, on final at KBUF, and waiting for the charter that never arrived in the parking area of KBUF.  One can only hope tomorrow turns out better!!

Rupert

Sabretooth78,

I'm happy to say your right at least this time!  While I still had a job I had to come up this way to Erie fairly often in winter.  For a Kentucky boy you folks sure get a lot of snow!!!!  :o:o

Thanks so much for your greeting!!

Rupert

This morning we were notified that two of our four sightseeing passengers couldn't make it today either.  Then the two that were left said they couldn't afford charter rates on a jet by themselves.  Thankfully there is a local flying club in Buffalo that will rent out a Beech Baron for the day, so that's what I did.  Though to be honest, they probably will get a better view fro the Beech cockpit than from the cabin of the Honda.  But sadly renting another plane sure cuts into our margin!!

So the plan was to fly over to Niagara International and pick the couple up.  Fly them around, then return them to Niagara Intl. 

Sue Ling decided the Beech would be less crowded if she didn't come. (Actually that's just an excuse so she can do Christmas Shopping!  Since she insists I not be with her while she shops, that might be good news for me!;)

So at 13:00 I departed KBUF for KIAG with a wind of 141*@4 Vis 50 with a ceiling of 2,900'.  I picked them up and we flew around.  It's quite pretty this time of the year.  Then dropped them back off at KIAG and returned the plane to KBUF.  4 Flights, 50 miles, and 2.3 hours.

Screens are of waiting at KIAG, plus shots of The Niagara Falls area.

As always, I have a few of my horns with me in case I have a chance to play a gig for cash.  And luckily for me, there is a convention group visiting at the local Holiday Inn. 

The convention has a dinner-dance planned for tonight and the local four boy band is way too young to suit these oldies, who are about my age.  So they' were thinking about cancelling the band and doing kareoke.  Like every other live musician hat it when that happens.  So I got with the boys a while ago and with my alto & tenor sax plus cornet and trombone I'm pretty sure I can work with the kids enough to make it sound more like what old folks want to hear. 

Sue Ling can sing a killer Patsy Kline and even Mama Cass.  Plus she dresses up pretty nice as well!  So as long as I can keep the band boys on the beat, the crowd probably won't know the rest of us are even there.:rolleyes: 

The Holiday Inn manager says if we're successful Friday he'd also like us to play tomorrow night and Sunday night as well.  So If all goes well we'll pick up enough money this weekend to make up for the missed charter chances! 

As I said, thanks Sabretooth78, we're always thrilled to have a local welcome us!  Come on over to the Holiday Inn tonight after 20:00 and I'll get you and your date in for the convention dance!!  From the way the guests acting already, you'll probably be their long-lost best friend by then!

Rupert

Monday 4 December:

After a truly righteous three nights of playing music at the Niagara Holiday Inn it was a late and tough start this morning. We finally took off @11:45heading for KELM (Elmira Ny.), In Elmira we discovered a distributor of Maple Syrup in Wilkes Barre Pa. (KAVP) needed a few extra cases to meet a shipment & neither the provider in Romulus nor Penn Yan could provide enough to fill the need. !!  We went to KSSN (Romulus) and KPEC (Penn Yan) New York. to fill his needs  So we got a double charter hop to carry Maple Syrup to someplace we were scheduled to fly over already!!;):P  Now that's the way to start your work week.

So after 4 flights covering 222 miles and taking 1.7 hours we're ensconced in Wilkes Barre overnight.  If our luck holds out, we might get to do a similar charter tomorrow!

Screenshots below are of the Finger Lakes,  Approaching Elmira, Rain at Penn Yan, Crossing the river again and again, & finally on route to Wilkes Bar-Scranton.

Rupert

It's a Super Moon!  What do you do when you feel flush for a change?  You go out and blow some money!!

Sue Ling read that last night was a Super Moon night.  And we won't have another till next month and the month after.  So with a clear sky and pleasant weather lets take a little hop to see it.  We started and ended at KAVP but in the interim flew about 40 miles in .6 hours.

Shots are of the Super Moon, Approach back to KAVP, and final from under the plane.

Rupert

Off today to KLGA.  A short flight of only .8 hours and 90 miles.  First screenshot is of the roll to take-off from KAVP.

After landing at KLGA we of course signed up as available for charters.  Right away a couple contacted us about a sightseeing tour and letting them of at Newark airport.  If they'd called a half hour later we'd have been out shopping.

So Sue Ling left on an unaccompanied shopping trip over to Manhattan!!??  While I lined up a Maule Orion for sightseeing duty.  The folks had plenty of money so I flew around for about a hour before landing at Newark and dropping them off.  Then I returned to KLGA. Total time 1.3 hours and two landings.

Other screenshots include the Brookland Bridge, Varrazano Narrows Bridge, Statue of Liberty, over Manhattan, a Cruise Ship on the Hudson, and an ILS approach to KLGA.  As you can see, the ILS Appr. is great for altitude but is way off line for runway 13.  So I called in a Go Around and came back for a visual landing.

Rupert

Happy St. Nickolas Day!!  During one Christmas season I spent in Bavaria, St. Nickolas Day was probably the highlight of all of Advent.

A strange start to the day today.  We got an urgent call from Mrs. Dolly Gallagher Levi.  She was visiting the Statue of Liberty when she received a text from a kid named Barnaby.  He texted that the famous Half a Billionaire Bachelor Horace VanderGelder of Yonkers  planned to ask for her hand in marriage as soon as possible.

Obviously Dolly had been working on this match for months so she didn't want to miss the instant lest he change his mind and ask the hat-maker he was also seeing!! So she wanted to be picked up at the Statue rather than wait for the ferry to drop her off.  So, being type certified in the only Gruman Goose currently at KLGA, I volunteered to land in the river and taxi up to the Statue so Dolly could board.

Being Dolly, she was still taking last moment selfies so I had to wait for a while then she rushed down as if it were my fault we weren't already in Yonkers!  The weather cooperated for the pickup at least.  It was out of 144*@8 with a temperature of 50f, and a clear sky with a 4,100' ceiling.

Oh there was another complication.  Dolly wanted to stop by her condo on the Harlem River just North of the UN Building.  So I had to contact approach and finagle another water landing, this time to 6N6 a listed water landing spot.  Seems Dolly wanted to make sure she looked appropriate to be proposed to yet again.

After Dolly made it to the condo and back, we departed upstream over the Hudson.  Luckily Horace operates the VanderGelder Hay and Feed Store right on the riverbank there in Yonkers and had a boat launch ramp I could taxi up.  So after three water landings, I'm still waiting at the Hay and Feed to hear if I can claim another charter in the Goose today.  So it's three (water) landings, 25 miles, and .7 hours so far.

Rupert

Shots are Takeoff KLGA, turning south bound over the Harlem River, approach to landing near the SOL, Touch down, waiting at the Statue, Heading North over the Hudson, and taxiing to the Vander Gelder  Hay and Feed Store.

Late night last night!  So I didn't update my diary.

After waiting around for a while in Yonkers I got truly bored.  Doesn't everyone who isn't husband chasing quickly get bored in Yonkers!?  I mean when the VanderGelder Feed and Seed Store is the high point of the water front?  Well, you get the idea.

So I fired up the Goose and headed back to KLGA.  The weather was still holding so I made the 10 mile trip plus circle to land etc. in .3 hrs.  If you travel anywhere in .3hrs. that's not much of a trip!  Having said that.  All the things you've heard about landing a taildragger are magnified when that tail-dragger is a Goose!  On final the wind totally calmed so now the lift versus speed issue common in tail-draggers ramped up quickly!  But I got her down with barely a chirp and taxiied to parking.

There I discovered a hugely bored Sue Ling who really wanted to get out of Dodge, or in the case KLGA, so we filed a plan to fly to Providence R.I. (KPVD Green State) and took off in the dusk at 16:02.  .6 hours and 125 miles later we landed at KPVD and called it a day.

Screen shots included Dusk at KLGA, Straight and Level at 4,500', A tower view of us passing KBHB at sunset (We're the white dot in dark clouds),  Final to KPVD.

Rupert

OK, We flew to Boston on the 7th via a stop at KNHZ NAS New Brunswick to pick up a catching  flight out of Logan (KBOS).  And frankly got so busy I lost some of the log details to record here.  Thankfully I did log them into the official Diary Log that night!!

But I did find a few screenshots I took then.  They are of the moon while climbing out from KPVD.  A shot approaching the city of Boston.  And a picture just parked at KBOS.

Saturday 9 December,

A 12:40 take off from KBOS in heavy snow with visibility of 2 miles.  A ceiling of 3,100' and 32F 29.91"  We headed to Portsmouth NH (KPSM) to pick up a guy wanting to tour Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor Maine.  From there we stopped at Rockland Maine (KRKD) to pick up a couple also going to Bar Harbor.  Then on to Bar Harbor KBHB.

TBTG after only several miles flying atop the ceiling at 4,500' the clouds cleared and we were able to cancel our IFR flight plan and refile VFR!  So after 3 flights covering 174 miles we landed at Bar Harbor in almost sunshine.  Total flight time was 1.4 hrs. but FSX recorded only .1 of that as actual IFR.

Shots below include Logan in heavy snow, Flying VFR On Top heading towards KPSM.  A view of the airport at KRKD Aproaching Bar Harbor and lastly Refueled and parked at KBHB.

Rupert

11December 17:20 AST:

Takeoff from KBHB heading 151 miles to Greenwood (CYZX) for a mail pickup to carry on to Sydney.  Winds 187@4, Vis. 20+ miles in light snow, Temp. 1C, and 29.91" Barometer.

Pockets of snow came and went all through this and the next flight of 216 miles to (CYQY) Sydney. Shots will show that.  Takeoff going on to CYQY Total flight time 1.7hrs. and 367 miles with wind from 338@21 and temp of 14F.

Short day today.  Lots of time spent letting the A&P guys go over the Honda before we start getting serious over the Atlantic Ocean.  Take off didn't occur until 15:35 AST.  Winds weren't truly behind us but not bad.  Out of 300 @9knts.  Temp. 25F with 30.22" barometer.Overcast 2,000' to about 3,500' and visibility over 20 miles according to Wunderground.  (The normal in-flight link wasn't working so I had to manually access it via Wunderground.)

Very uneventful flight after a Touch and Go and check-ride after the work was done.   We covered 278 miles in 1.3 hours

Screenshots are Over The Water, Land Ho, Near Gander, and Parking at Gander.  Notice that big beautiful 747 parked nearby!!

Friday the 13th came on a Wednesday this month!  And boy was that the case with the weather in New Foundland!  We checked with Metro all morning hoping to see an improvement in the weather.  But it was not to be.  So we set out anyway a little after noon local time.  Temp. 37F, Vis 3 miles Winds from 131* at 16-24 knots. 

After filing a IFR plan to St. Johns at 5,000' we we taxied out for takeoff and took-off at 12:35.  After traveling 108 miles in .6 hours we called it a day!  It's not a lot of fun to be vectored all over the sky on IFR while indicating 315 knts. and having a true speed over ground of 293! 

Being far enough ahead time-wise, we're going to wait for more favorable conditions here at St. Johns!

Screen shots are on taxi at Gander and On Top heading for St. Johns.  We were far too busy and annoyed to take more!

Rupert

Time to Step Up Our Game!  There's too many things going on during the holidays to dawdle.  So rather than fight winds again today we departed CYTT at 08:05 local and headed for Flores Island Portugal (LPFL). 

Surface weather was winds from 60@8 40 mile visibility 23*F & 30.22" on the barometer.

The plan is to fly 1,057 miles at 15,000' unless the winds are bad.  Then we'll adjust.  Over 1,000 miles isn't out of our fuel window.  But it's close enough that we won't be fighting much in the way of headwinds,  On Top @15,000 we were showing about 390 S.O.G. with an indicated 300 Knts.  So that made everything doable.

So after flying 3.1 hours we landed at LPFL to find facilities there very limited according to FSX and ORBX Global.  Having used all the usual resources it appeared LPFL was a fairly modern airport with all the "mod cons."  But FSX considers it a minimum field with no furl or other facilities.  SO WE WAITED!  Thankfully the Portugal Air Force was kind enough to fly a tanker in to refuel those of us who are doing the Eighty Days Rally.  As we now have only 487# of fuel showing on the gauges, we'll wait for them to show up.

I hope they'll stay on stand by so other rallyists don't have to go through this!!

Shots are Leaving North America, "Boring" Straight at 15,000 and Level, plus waiting for the Air Force.  TERRIBLE SCENERY COVERAGE ON BOTH FSX AND ORBX'S PART!!!!

Rupert

Yes,

When the guys showed up yesterday to refuel us at Flores Island yesterday, they were pretty excited to see Sue Ling awaiting them!  It's probably a good thing FSX didn't put a bar on Flores Island!  I'm sure they'd want to buy her a drink or two!

This morning all the forecasts called for some pretty heavy favorable winds this afternoon so we didn't even take off till 12:25.  Boy were they right about the winds!!  We took off with winds out of 268* @ 31knts!!  Barometer was 30.40" so we knew things weren't likely to change soon!  2.8 hours later we had traveled 1,013 miles and were on the ground at LPCS, mainland Europe.  In fact I took a screen shot showing 292 knts IAS and 407 actual SOG!!  What a great ride for a change!!  And we ended up with 810# of fuel left on a leg we felt was almost a stretch for our little plane!  

We thought about heading on up to Limoges after re-fueling.  But as you can see in at least one screen shot, it's already dusk here!

Screen shots are lining up to leave, 292=407, That's Europe, and Clear To Land Runway 35.

Rupert

Dawn to Dark & Sun to Snow, all in one day three flights four hours flight time and 1,348 miles!

Sue Ling Got a call from her mom, Mae Ling last night.  I've told Sue for days she'd get in trouble answering her mom's calls.  Last night I was right.  Since I wasn't i on the call I don't know the details but!  Mae Ling got to Munich Bavaria in some fashion.  And she wants us to swing by and pick her up for the big rally finish at London City Airport!  Not that I think there will be a huge crowd to greet us.  But Mae Ling loves to be gushed over.  Even for things she didn't even do!!  The fact that Munich is almost exactly 180* and at least 1,500 miles from our planned direction of travel didn't matter to her a bit!

So at the break of dawn we headed out to Munich (EDDM).  Thankfully we got a call early on that might salvage some of our costs.  There is a couple at Zaragoza USAF base (LEZZ) who want to go to Innsbruck Austria (LOWI) for Fall Skiiing. So we re-filed to LEZZ to pick them up.  After a refuel, because this side trip would make us pretty iffy into EDDM, we headed out to LOWI to drop the happy couple off. 

Luck was with us and we only encountered a slight haze approaching Innsbruck!  I shot that approach several times before with a ILS approach and sadly, that's another approach FSX doesn't really do correctly.  The ILS part if it is OK.  But if you follow the instruction of the Instrument ATC exactly, you'll hit the mountains every time!!  

After the drop off at Innsbruck we headed out to Munich and right about sunset it started to snow.  Having shot ILS approaches several times at Munich I was happy to shoot one this time even though the field wasn't declared IFR.  I mean it's a 26L approach that works well.  Why not use it!

Sue Ling hasn't seen Munch be fore and I love their Christmas Markets.  So we're planning on staying here near EDDM at least through tomorrow night.  We might even take the train out to Freising, rent a car, and take her to the BMW Dingolfingen plant where I worked about 20 years ago.

Screen shots today are Dawn at LCPS.  Climbing out over the Lisbon Airport.  Approaching LEZZ.  A shot of the Med, which we flew by one corner of.  An Alps shot.  Approaching LOWI up the valley (TBTG it was still clear!!!!).  A shot of us about to take off from LOWI.  A shot from EDDM Tower of us on approach.  And finally a shot of us on final to EDDM using ILS.

Rupert

P.S.  Sorry the LPCS at dawn and Lisbon shots got out of order.  I don't know why?  Hopefully with the text above you can figure it all out.

Archived