jimbo_uk

James50

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to JP, Mathijs and kalizzi for their comments. Here's a bit of a summary of the numbers, starting with the spreadsheet:

Please login to display this image.

Which I hope is legible.

A total of 33 legs flown, 31 in the Dash and 2 in the B767 across the Pacific and then across the Atlantic (did I hear someone say cheat!)

14,639nm in the Dash with a total flight time of 50hrs 5mins. Average speed of 292.2knots and average 1hr 37mins per leg.

7,371nm in the B767 with a flight time of 15hrs 5mins.

Giving a grand total of 22,010nm and 65hrs 10mins.

The initial point to point across the legs was 20,541nm, so SIDs and STARs and flying designated airways added 1469nm.

I recall back in November getting a route across to Shanghai from Taipei was a particular problem with 200nm added on that leg alone.

I used two Dash aircraft; Flybe G-FLBC from Biggin Hill to Tokyo and then from Cork via Dublin and Liverpool back to Biggin and United Express N328NG across the US from San Francisco to Newark NJ.

The two aircraft burned 106,675lbs fuel for the 50hrs 5mins flight time (excluding taxi and waiting on ground time) giving an average 2,130lbs per hour (292nm).

Can't see anything online on the Bombardier website for fuel burn rates, but fuelplanner.com comes up with figures of 2050 to 2100lbs per hour depending on flight length. So it looks like Majestic have done a pretty good job modelling this. I was initially flying the cruise at FL270, which the Q400 is cleared for, and then opted back to FL250.

This has been a great experience, doing the planning and the flying and writing up the log afterwards and sharing some of the other logs as well.

My appreciation to Mathijs and Aerosoft for hosting the adventure (and the drink in the bar at the end of it)

Looks like the spreadsheet wasn't readable, so here it is again, better now missing out the rest days,

And the final map,

Archived