jimbo_uk

James50

Aerosoft’s email last weekend for the Round the World in 80 Days reawakened an interest in Flight Simulator which has lain dormant for well over a year and led to a flurry of activity to work out a route. I used to flow with virtual airline Noble Air in the late 90s and remember doing a RTW with them using a B777. Plane of choice this time is the Majestic Dash8 – Q400 in Flybe livery, but switching to a B777 for the trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic legs, as allowed by the rules and to give some variety. Real world commitments limits time available, so I was trying to keep the legs under 2hrs (~580nm). I have 36 Q400 legs and 2 B777 legs.

Route starts at Biggin Hill. I felt London’s executive airport was a fitting start for a Reform Club member and his butler. Ridiculously short leg to Calais-Dunkirk, then on to Brindisi and Port Said (for Suez).

Down the Red Sea to Aden then across to Muscat (some concern here overflying Yemen) and on to Mumbai.

Three legs across India to Kolkata.

Long way round for the next leg to Kuala Lumpur, then Ho Chi Minh city and Sanya to Hong Kong.

I’ve opted to go to Shanghai for the next leg and then Tokyo-Haneda as the nearest to Yokohama.

B777 across the Pacific, and back into the Dash for four legs across the USA which are all right up on my time limit.

B777 across the Atlantic to Cork (for Cobh). With minimal fuel load and passengers I think there’s enough real estate to stop on! Dublin would be the alternate. Back into the Dash for the penultimate leg to Liverpool, then down to Biggin.

I’m flying on a standard version of FSX, with Active Sky Next for the weather.

Let’s see what happens.

Jimbo

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James, I am flying the Dash8 -Q400 as well in my virtual airlines colours (Canadian Xpress). Good luck to you - hope to see you in a few of the stops we have the same. And share a nice bottle of celebration at the end.

I toyed with Q400 as well, in Porter colours, but I just didn't want to switch out for the Pacific and didn't want to take the north route. Perhaps on my next run I'll try it. An-74 for me!

Good flying, gents!

First (and shortest!) leg completed. On time push at Biggin, departing on rwy 21, circling to the west to avoid overflying Biggin village then east, direct to DET.

Then VABIK, DIPKA, MK(OM) and straight into rwy 24 at LFAC. Light rain on arrival as we parked up for the night. 98 miles flown, 28 mins!

Still finding my way round the Dash cockpit after a long period of inactivity on FSX. Thanks to Mark and Luka for comments above and to Lem (quaxpilot) for link to planner I spotted in Jess B post. With limited time on weekday evenings, will explore that on my planned rest days at the weekend in Heraklion.

Enjoyable 1hr flight in the afternoon sun to Strasbourg. Having not flown FSX for over a year and with less than a week to prep for this, it's been a bit of a steep learning curve re-discovering the 'mighty' Dash. No major issues anyway. Rwy 24 departure from Calais, circling to the south to join UM150 south from KOK. Then DIK/LIMGO/UN852/GTQ/SAV and ILS approach onto rwy 23 at Strasbourg.

Over the Alps to Venice tomorrow.

1hr afternoon flight over the Alps from Strasbourg to Venice.

SUL1S departure from rwy 23, TRA/UP131/ADOSA/UL615/VIC/VIC3A - RWY 04R (ILS) with a slight tail wind.

After only taking on fuel at at the start at Biggin for the first two legs to Strasbourg plus reserve, with only the 2 passengers and their luggage plus essentials for an emergency, the Dash was very light. Took on max fuel at Strasbourg which could last to Port Said unless the winds favourable to date, back round. Part sun in Venice on arrival; forecast for tomorrow for run down the coast to Brindisi looks really good.

I had really good weather as well. Was expecting to fly alternating days, but i am a little gung-ho and did three straight days to take me into Cairo HECA

A few days off and then its across the big Saudi desert to Muscat to see my dad. I hope to see you in Bombay.

Blue skies!

Hi Mark, I'm flying every day, but having to limit to about 1 to 1.5hrs max. Fog in Venice this morning meant a delayed start; came out of the cloud with Rimini abeam, then clear all the way to Brindisi, where it was 24 degrees in the mid afternoon sun. Remembering different things about the Dash8 and its systems on each leg which is adding to the excitement!

Todays route was 04R departure from Venice on the CHI SID. UL612/VIE/BAR/FASAN1K for ILS rwy 31 at Brindisi. Heading on to Iraklion tomorrow. Looks to be sunny in the morning. Bombay seems a long way off!

Some unexpected free time on Friday allowed me to go for my longest leg yet and push on all the way to Port Said. 2hr 50min flight time from Brindisi. Five days on the bounce must be the most I've done on FSX in a couple of years. Clear and sunny all the way. 27 degrees in the sun at Port Said.

Rwy 5 departure from Brindisi. UL995/KRK/UN138/KOR/MIL/U613/SIT/UL607/OTIKO/BLT/PSD then VOR approach to Rwy 10 at Port Said.

Three days break now till start of next leg. Will take the opportunity to get some more practice in. Been a couple of close calls on the way so far which I've managed around given the generally benign conditions.

Continued good fortune to all other flyers.

Hello James,

Funny enough but I changed my routing and I'll go to port Said as well as I found out that going to Cairo would not permit to follow all the Suez canal. So I am doing this route now from Port Said (if I manage to get there tomorrow):

PSD V602 LONIR DCT SISIK DCT NWB DCT KITOT UL550 KFR to bring me to OKBK.

I am using the Q400 all the way and the Northern route Pacific and Atlantic at the end of the year shall not be a piece of cake when we'll get there.

Good luck,

JP

With my two passengers enjoying the delights of Port Said; the lighthouse opened in 1869 looks to be a top attraction along with the Ferdinand de Lesseps museum, I'm coming to terms with Plan-G and working it out for the next phase. Thanks to those who sent the link earlier in the week. I had problems with v3.1.3 and have now downloaded the test v3.2 from the forum on Tim Arnot's website. Images here show the stage 1 route just completed and the upcoming stage 2.

Sunday 8th Oct - rest day

After a day exploring Port Said, time for me and me two intrepid passengers to get back into the air ...... and go sightseeing.

Conveniently (!) a default  Cessna was available from the flying club at Port Said airport. So off we went.

Even mid morning the temperature was nudging toward the high 70s.

Headed east over the entrance to the Suez Canal.

Then followed the Canal south.

A ribbon of blue in the unremitting sand of the desert.

And then .... a miracle, well at least a ship. Well done Microsoft. Clearly canal traffic was significantly less back in FSX development time than now, as it was the only ship we was between Port Said

And Great Bitter Lake, before turning west toward Cairo

And the Pyramids. Well where else was there to go.

Monday is another rest day, before Tuesday's short hop down to Sharm el Sheikh.

Lovely dairy, good flying, I particularly love that you screenshot the stock FSX flight analyser! Your choice of ship is awesome, I love the dash 8. Godspeed and best of luck.

Hi kalizzi, thanks for comment. Seem to be a few of us flying the mighty Dash. Certainly loving it so far.

Anyway, Tuesday morning, the sun is up, it's getting hot, time to hit the trail.

Relatively short hop today, following Sunday's sightseeing route over the canal and Great Bitter Lake

Continued along the Gulf of Suez before turning east for direct approach onto 04L at Sharm el Sheikh,

Lovely afternoon for a bit of swimming!

Wednesday morning and reluctantly leaving the delights of Sharm el Sheikh, we push on southward, next stop Jeddah.

PASAM1 SID circles north round the airport (to avoid overflying Saudi on take-off?) before heading SE, just following the Red Sea coast to Jeddah.

Flew the NOMDA STAR into 16R. Given the Dash's current light loading with 2 passengers and 5600lbs fuel, 12000ft of asphalt was more than enough!

The scale of King Abdulaziz Int'l airport at Jeddah is breathtaking, spreading over 15km2. A further 2 runways, one at 10000ft, the other 12000 ft, yet only 30 million passengers last year, with a peak for the Haj festival at nearby Mecca. In comparison, our own Heathrow, with its two 12000ft runways, spreads over a more modest 12km2, yet handled 75 million passengers!

Thursday - another sunny, sandy, hot morning as we continue south east along the Red Sea coast. Today's destination is the regional airport at Jazan (or Gizan) otherwise known as Prince Abdullah bin Abdulaziz. Flew the RIBAM SID from Jeddah rwy 34L which includes an arc routing at 36D from the Jeddah JDW VOR.

Routine flight onward to Jazan. Jess-B noted in her diary the unremitting sand.

Overflew the GIZ VOR at Jazan at 2000 ft, continuing to BUDAD, making a procedural turn to join the ILS for rwy 33.

Tomorrow, onward to Yemen. Not enthralled with this!

Friday 13th, oh dear! For a couple of reasons, opted to avoid Aden and fly direct to Riyan on Yemen's Gulf of Aden coast. Another fine morning. Routing took me to the the Sana'a (SAA) VOR and then eastward to Riyan (al Mukallah). Overflying the airport at 3000ft, followed by a procedural turn onto the VOR DME 24 approach. Bit wobbly, but not too shabby in the light winds.

Was historically in Oman, before passing to Yemen. The intent is just a short stopover before flying onto Salalah in Oman this evening. Haven't flown in the evening since the first leg from Biggin to Calais.

Heading inland today there was sand wherever I looked. At least the last few days I had the sea on one side. But I did have mountains today reaching to 11000ft.

Learning opportunity on Plan-G to sort out a profile for the Dash-8 and start using altitudes.

After an uneventful day exploring Riyan, with the sun setting and the shadows lengthening, time for evening flight over the border to Salalah, capital city of Oman's Dhofar province.

Departing on rwy 06 and heading direct to the GDA NDB, night quickly fell.

With light winds, flew the KAPET 1F STAR into rwy 07.

The old runway with its link to the military apron can be seen to the right of the main runway, which opened with the new terminal in 2015.

Salalah appears to be more green and lush compared with the dry, arid stops of the last few days.

We will have 1 or 2 days break here before going onto Muscat.

Sat 14th

Real world constraints for next week forced a need to move on. Described as a subtropical city we at least had the morning to explore Salalah before getting away in the afternoon. Many consider it to be the second city of the sultanate.

Flightplan filed, OOSA/DAXIM1P/B400/OOMS ILS 08L approach via BOXUR.

Salalah takeoff and view from the tower of my trusty Dash.

Salalah's subtropical nature and the general greenery become more evident climbing away to the east.

But once over the low range of hills normal desert service is resumed.

Crossing over a range of substantial sand dunes/hills/mountains (?) to the SW of Muscat we turned initially west and then east onto the approach.

Expanding Seeb International at Muscat is obviously a work in progress. The scenery I was using had the new northerly runway 08L/26R in place but not the new terminal or gates.

Just a large open expanse of tarmac. It's a long taxi over to the south apron and original terminal building. The old 08/26 runway is now taxiway F.

Flight time was 1hr 40mins; bit of a headwind most of the way. Oman Air flight is approx. 90 mins, so not too shabby.

Hot and sunny and Muscat and looks like more of the same in Karachi when we move on.

Sun 15th

Trying to get ahead, opted to fly again today, rather than tomorrow as planned.

Bit of time in Muscat in the morning, with a planned take off after lunch heading across the Gulf of Oman/Arabian Sea to Karachi.

Taking the SODEB1S SID from rwy 08L/SODEB/G216/LOTAT/LOTAT 2A STAR/ILS 25L OPKC.

Work in progress at Muscat, taking off from 08L, no new terminal and gates yet. The old terminal and tower is in the distance.

Good enroute conditions yet again

Having forgotten there was a time zone change, dusk was rapidly turning to night coming over the Pakistan coast

Landing at 1340Z (1740 local) after a 1hr 53min flight.

Tuesday

early morning fog at Karachi scotched any plans of an early getaway and the chance for some sunrise photos (inspired by other logs!)

Eventually pushed back at 11.30 local time.

Flightplan filed: OPKC 07R/DANGI 3B SID/A791/TELEM/G210/BOFIN/POKON 1C/ILS 14.

Uneventful flight following the coast. ASN suggested it was going to be foggy on arrival at Mumbai/Bombay, so time to prep the HGS for the first time this trip.

In the event, ASN had been unduly pessimistic and there were no problems with the approach.

Parked up and secured my trusty Dash while we have five days break before setting off again across India to Kolkata.

Friday

Update from Mumbai (or Bombay as it was in Fogg's day). Three days into a five day break. Cloudy again today with the temp in the low 30s.

Reflecting on the journey so far

Getting to Mumbai took Fogg and Passepartout 20 days.

In our version I've had 13 flying days to cover nearly 5500 nm in just under 19hrs flying time.

Average speed 290kts, average leg about 1.5hrs which was the target I had at the outset. Circumstances allowed me to fit in one long leg across the Med from Brindisi to Port Said avoiding the planned stop in Iraklion. Planning today, I now aim to cross India in 2 legs rather than the original 3, just stopping over in Nagpur.

Good flying to everybody else still out there, see you in Kolkata next week.

Sorry James but I posted my reply in my own post:

It is good to know that there are quite few Dash pilots on this ATW trip. I think it would be interesting to share the results in term of fuel, speed, torque, FF, etc. on the Majestic forum when it is going to be over. So far very accurate between the planning and the flight. AS16 and PFPX spot on.

See you,

JP

Archived