P3DV4 APPCrash or aircraft won't load after installing Scenery Addons (like Heathrow - P3Dv4 or others)

ja4044

• Developer
vor 23 Minuten, mopperle sagte:

Checked the add-on.xml files on my system and all of them have multiple entries, even pointing to folders like effects and simobjects beside scenery and texture.

And according to the SDK docu this should be OK:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_packages.html

Yes, multi Components are normal, for example to add a scenery specific Effects folder, located in the Addos Subdirectory structure.

Addons like FSDT using the Addonmanager will also add the Simobjects folder where the objects are, which the Addonmanager/couatl.exe will place.

It is also possible, a add-on.xml has two Scenery Components, for example when there is a Terrain and a Airport Subentry normally add to the scenery Library in the old system.

But, to add a Scenery to the Scenery Library via this addon.xml it is only needed to add the Scenery Component pointing to the Main Folder of the Addon, not also a Texture component pointing to the TEXTURE Subfolder.

P3D will use the Scenery Component to add this to the Scenery List, same as if you add the Folder to the Scenery.cfg, which also only points to the Mainfolder. The Sim knows, that a Scenery has a local Texture Folder, that not needs to register seperate.

The Texture Component seams only be needed for global addons, like a Landclass addon, so that they don't need to place the Textures into the <P3D>\Texture default folder.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ok, if this is th case then it should be clarified by LM.

Looking at my environment, currently 2 devs are doing it "wrong" by pointing to the scenery AND texture folder.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I found one among my add-ons which use the add-on.xml. But I have completely removed all add-ons from the add-on.xml structure and added them manually into the scenery library, so I never encountered any CTDs.

On 10/5/2017 at 3:40 AM, OPabst said:

I think I found the reason for the issue. It is a missunderstanding of some developers using the add-on.xml, how to build the xml to add sceneries.

I saw in the xml and that was the base for my test yesterday, that there where two componets added:

<AddOn.Component>
    <Name>Titel of the scenery</Name>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>Installationpath\SCENERY</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Texture</Category>
    <Path>Installationpath\TEXTURE</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

Correct will be, that only the component Scenery is used and points to the main Path of the Scenery addon. Texture is not needed here.

<AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Installationpath</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

P3D V4 seams to get in trouble and crash, when more several add-on.xml files are using the Texture Component.

I correct my files from the test yesterday that way and have now no crashes anymore.

Whould be interesting, if someone who still have the crash issue can ZIP his ..\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and add it here, so we can doublecheck if this can found there too.

Can we expect this to be corrected with an update?  And is this a suitable workaround in the mean time?  I got lucky and randomly caught V4 heathrow release within seconds of it being placed online, and still yet to enjoy it.

THX 

• Deputy Sheriffs
1 hour ago, Shane Walker said:

Can we expect this to be corrected with an update?  And is this a suitable workaround in the mean time?

You have to ask the scenery developer who is doing it like this. Heathrow doesn't use the add-on.xml registration method at all, but instead the old scenery.cfg one. Like ALL OTHER AS airports still do, exactly because of problems with the new method.

Take a look into all the add-on.xml files on your system and you will find the add-on/developer quickly.

• Developer
1 hour ago, Shane Walker said:

Can we expect this to be corrected with an update?  And is this a suitable workaround in the mean time?  I got lucky and randomly caught V4 heathrow release within seconds of it being placed online, and still yet to enjoy it.

THX 

That is a question to the developer/distributors of the Addon using the add-on.xml system. The Aerosoft Professional Addon don't use it yet.

As workaround you can check all add-on.xml of you sceneries and remove the bold parts, if present:

<AddOn.Component>
  </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
  </AddOn.Component>

11 minutes ago, OPabst said:

That is a question to the developer/distributors of the Addon using the add-on.xml system. The Aerosoft Professional Addon don't use it yet.

As workaround you can check all add-on.xml of you sceneries and remove the bold parts, if present:

<AddOn.Component>
  </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
  </AddOn.Component>

Great... Thank you

It would appear to me that, P3Dv4.1 alone seemed to solve this issue. I never ended up getting around to editing my add-on.xmls, figured I'd wait to see if 4.1 did anything for this. 

I updated P3d, installed several sceneries and no longer got CTDs as I did with 4.0 when attempting the same scenery installs.  

Cheers

• Developer

Yes, after I send them a demo to reproduce the issue mid last week, they stated in there forum that the issue is fixed with next update (4.1).

vor 18 Stunden , Shane Walker sagte:

I updated P3d, installed several sceneries and no longer got CTDs as I did with 4.0 when attempting the same scenery installs.

I can affirm this :) 

• OPabst unpinned this topic

Archived