P3DV4 APPCrash or aircraft won't load after installing Scenery Addons (like Heathrow - P3Dv4 or others)

ja4044

Hello

I have been a fan of many Aerosoft airports since early days of FSX, I am now with P3Dv4 after having spent a year or so with version 3.

Finally the Heathrow professional out for version 4, I just purchased and installed into my P3dv4.

Here is my problem.
With Heathrow installed, default Raptor loads OK at a default airport, changing location to Heathrow again no problem.
When I switch to Carenado A36, my sim crashes without any warning.
I then relaunch the sim, select Carenado A36 but at the default airport (same place as my Raptor above), the sim crashes.
I attempt the same with PMDG NGX at the default airport, the sim crashes.
(BTW, I was doing the flight in PMDG NGX immediately before I purchased/installed Heathrow without any problem.)
I then uninstall Heathrow and everything is back OK (Carenado A36 loads OK, PMDG NGX loads OK).

Thinking my attachment may give you some clue as to what may be the problem, my default B58 Baron loads OK
even with Heathrow installed, however, textures within the cockpit loads strangely. As you can see in my attachment,
radio stacks are in fact showing dial instruments, as well as cockpit window bars now switched to some instrument textures.

When I uninstall Heathrow, this same Baron loads OK with proper in-cockpit textures.

Since your Heathrow is quite nice, I'd hate to keep it unintalled just because my payware aircraft won't load.
I hope you can find a solution rather quickly.

Thank you in advace

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Can you please post a screenshot of the Scenery Library Menu.

I see no relation of your issue with a Addon Scenery, as Heathow.

But there is a known Bug in V4.0.28 where a mix of Addon.xml and standard entries will crash the sim on starttime.

Maybe in your case it is reacting different, and not directly crash. Maybe because you seams to start the Sim with the Startup screen and not directly with the default flight.

I have a similiar problem. When I am loading the deafault F22 everything is ok, but when I load a more complex aircraft like the Aerosoft CRJ or the PMDG 737 the sim has a CTD. It is also when I load a deafault aircraft first, but only with Heathrow installed. 

• Developer

What happens, when you simple uncheck the Heathrow Entry in the scenery Library?

Have just doublecheck the CRJ, nothing happens, no crash, no visual issues.

vor 19 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

What happens, when you simple uncheck the Heathrow Entry in the scenery Library?

When I uncheck it and let remove the entry from the scenery.cfg everything works fine, also all textures are loaded normally and so on.

vor 13 Minuten, Tom A320 sagte:

Please make sure you are not running into a known Windows Update problem:

I am not an expert, but it does not look so. In my opinion it has denfinitely something to do with EGLL. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

In the linked topic the topic opener was also sure that it was the CRJ that ruined his P3D ;) 

I am just saying that it's worth a try to check for the installed updates (taken you are on Windows 10) and revert that one for a test.

• Developer
vor 45 Minuten, luko0211 sagte:

When I uncheck it and let remove the entry from the scenery.cfg everything works fine, also all textures are loaded normally and so on.

I am not an expert, but it does not look so. In my opinion it has denfinitely something to do with EGLL. 

I did not talk about "remove" the Entry, only "uncheck" it.

Another Test should be done:

1.) Go in the folder C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and rename the file Scenery.cfg to scenery.org

2.) Start P3D V4 and add Heathrow with the folder <P3D>\Ecosystem\Aerosoft\Mega Airport London Heathrow

3.) Make a screenshop of the Library Menu and post it here

4.) Stop and restart P3D and check what happens with the Aircraft and report the result

After the Test stop P3D, delete the scenery.cfg and rename back the scenery.org to scenery.cfg

vor 2 Stunden , OPabst sagte:

Can you please post a screenshot of the Scenery Library Menu.

I see no relation of your issue with a Addon Scenery, as Heathow.

But there is a known Bug in V4.0.28 where a mix of Addon.xml and standard entries will crash the sim on starttime.

Maybe in your case it is reacting different, and not directly crash. Maybe because you seams to start the Sim with the Startup screen and not directly with the default flight.

Thank you for looking into this.
Attached are my screen grabs of the Scenery Library. I had to make multiple grabs to capture the entire Scenery library so please excuse me for the number of attachment.

Also just in case, I made a grab of "addon" screen that is under Options/Addons within P3D.

Of note, the immediate prior install I attempted with the same result as Heathrow (Before installing Navigraph and Simlink) was your Hamburg scenery.
It caused exactly the same problem as I am experiencing with Heathrow so I have it uninstalled for now (and all is working well once uninstalled).
Install before the attempted Hamburg was Stuttgart and that installed OK without any aircraft loading issues.
This problem did not occur with Stuttgart, only began with installs subsequent to (which were Hamburg, then today's Heathrow)

• Developer

Thanks, I remove some screens with only the default scenery.

But what you explain, that a other Addon (here Hamburg) generate the same issue, the addons you installed later are not scenery related, so don't count, and now Heathrow has the same issue, points to the situation reported as bug of the sim. Any scenery you will add now, will generate it.

Must tomorrow search for tips for the workaround.

I expact the issue will be fix with P3D V4.1 in two weeks anyway.

21 minutes ago, OPabst said:

I did not talk about "remove" the Entry, only "uncheck" it.

Another Test should be done:

1.) Go in the folder C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and rename the file Scenery.cfg to scenery.org

2.) Start P3D V4 and add Heathrow with the folder <P3D>\Ecosystem\Aerosoft\Mega Airport London Heathrow

3.) Make a screenshop of the Library Menu and post it here

4.) Stop and restart P3D and check what happens with the Aircraft and report the result

After the Test stop P3D, delete the scenery.cfg and rename back the scenery.org to scenery.cfg

I followed your test advice.
1) Done (I suppose this created a fresh scenery cfg file when launching P3D)
2) Done (Used add selection with the folder location as your instruction)
3) See attached
4) Done. Both default Raptor and Carenado A36, and PMDG NGX loads OK at Heathrow!
    (I selected default Raptor at default start airport upon opening screen, then moved to Heathrow. No problem.
     Then switched aircraft from Raptor to Carenado A36, loads OK. Then switched aircraft from A36 to PMDG NGX, loads OK)

deleted cfg and rename back org to cfg.

Out of curiosity, I did the following so just to share.

1) Launched P3D with the original (Heathrow installed) scenery cfg.
2) Raptor at default start airport - OK. 
    Relocated to Heathrow - OK
    Switched to A36 - problem (shut down)
3) Relaunched P3D
4) Raptor at default start airport - OK
5) Opened scenery library to uncheck Heathrow (not remove)
6) Relocate to Heathrow  - OK (default Heathrow now)
    Switched to A36 - OK

• Developer

Ok, but so we can say it is not the Heathrow Addon that generate the issue, it is only the last one, that "fill the barrel to overflow" and the P3D bug is start.

vor 5 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

Ok, but so we can say it is not the Heathrow Addon that generate the issue, it is only the last one, that "fill the barrel to overflow" and the P3D bug is start.

Ok, good to know. Hopefully it will be fixed with v4.1. Thanks for support.

Dear all, I had the same issue until i grouped the sceneries with the program "Scenery Config Editor" and unchecked some of the groups, which I currently do not need. I think, I had the max. allowed number of addons (in my case approx. 210 active sceneries) reached so with every new addon installed i could not load aircrafts like pmdg and hence the sim crashed (CTD). Since I made the said grouping and inactivated some of the regions, I installed EGLL and some other new sceneries like Varna and Aruba and the sim is doing like it should. See attached screenshot of Scenery Config Editor:

Screenshot 2017-10-01 15.00.23.pdf

Currently on the way from GCFV to EDDM with a PMDG 747 and all is fine.

Regards Roland

Of course, you can also uncheck the sceneries you do not need in the sim as well (perhaps easier and does not need to make the grouping first). Rgds Roland

• Developer

Just for Info: Have made some tests regarding the APPCRASH on loading, as I read that LM could not reproduce it, based on customer Infos they got in there Forum here

With my normal scenery.cfg, where around 30 Addons Areas are added beside the 126 defaults, I get the CTD when I add 3 Entry via add-on.xml files.

Then I use the default scenery.cfg without any addon, and add step by step more add-on.xml, when 19 add-on.xml was present, the P3D crashes, even with the only default entries in the scenery.cfg. With 18 xml all is fine.

The add-on.xml points to empty Scenery/Texture Folders, so now BGL Scenery code is involed. I must be in internal error in the handling of the folders/entries itself.

I send the info with the description to the Lockheed Martin developers, I hope they can now analyse the issue to fix it in 4.1, cross the finger ;)

• OPabst unlocked this topic
vor 39 Minuten, OPabst sagte:

Just for Info: Have made some tests regarding the APPCRASH on loading, as I read that LM could not reproduce it, based on customer Infos they got in there Forum here

With my normal scenery.cfg, where around 30 Addons Areas are added beside the 126 defaults, I get the CTD when I add 3 Entry via add-on.xml files.

Then I use the default scenery.cfg without any addon, and add step by step more add-on.xml, when 19 add-on.xml was present, the P3D crashes, even with the only default entries in the scenery.cfg. With 18 xml all is fine.

The add-on.xml points to empty Scenery/Texture Folders, so now BGL Scenery code is involed. I must be in internal error in the handling of the folders/entries itself.

I send the info with the description to the Lockheed Martin developers, I hope they can now analyse the issue to fix it in 4.1, cross the finger ;)

Thank you very much!

• Deputy Sheriffs
29 minutes ago, luko0211 said:

I have in total 345 entries in the scenery.cfg inkl. 16 Add-Ons items (14 sceneries and 2 aircarft) and have no CTD

• Developer
vor 18 Minuten, mopperle sagte:

I have in total 345 entries in the scenery.cfg inkl. 16 Add-Ons items (14 sceneries and 2 aircarft) and have no CTD

Ok,

It is possible, that there or other side conditions existing, but Thorsten from sim-wings has made the same test with same result. So I hope, LM see the same and have something to debug it.

• Developer
vor 3 Stunden , mopperle sagte:

@Otto 

are your entries in the cfg and addons list all active? Uncheck entries don't count here.

• Developer

I think I found the reason for the issue. It is a missunderstanding of some developers using the add-on.xml, how to build the xml to add sceneries.

I saw in the xml and that was the base for my test yesterday, that there where two componets added:

<AddOn.Component>
    <Name>Titel of the scenery</Name>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>Installationpath\SCENERY</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Texture</Category>
    <Path>Installationpath\TEXTURE</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

Correct will be, that only the component Scenery is used and points to the main Path of the Scenery addon. Texture is not needed here.

<AddOn.Component>
    <Name>Titel of the scenery</Name>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>Installationpath</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>

P3D V4 seams to get in trouble and crash, when more several add-on.xml files are using the Texture Component.

I correct my files from the test yesterday that way and have now no crashes anymore.

Whould be interesting, if someone who still have the crash issue can ZIP his ..\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and add it here, so we can doublecheck if this can found there too.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Checked the add-on.xml files on my system and all of them have multiple entries, even pointing to folders like effects and simobjects beside scenery and texture.

And according to the SDK docu this should be OK:
http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/add-ons/add-on_packages.html

Archived