JP - 25 legs with the Majestic Q400

jpgmultimodal

Hello,

Just in time to register to take this challenge. Very interesting indeed. The longest that I did with the sim so far was to deliver a new Q400 from Toronto to Paro for DRUKAIR and I am going to fly with this nice livery.

I thought of doing it with a DC3 as I flew a good bit of them in the seventies but I could not find a real good one for the sim and a bit slow so I am going with the Majestic Q400 which is the only commercial plane that I fly now with the sim. Most of the time I'll be on my own but I would also have another pilot with me from time to time as my set up is with three screens and dual controls.

It took me about two days to plan everything with PFPX and JEPPESEN to have the routes flown in accordance with the rules of the air as much as possible.

I try to have reasonable distances for the legs, the longest being about 4 hours (in fact the last one from BIKF to EGMC). Most of the time it would be about 3 hours flying time which is long enough if you stay on your own in the cockpit all the time.

2 PAX from EGMC to VABB, then 3 for the rest of the journey. 300 Kg of cargo plus the bags.

Now the legs :

EGMC LFKJ HLLB HECA

HECA OKBK OIZI VABB

VABB VECC

VECC VLLB VHHH

VHHH ROAH RJTT

RJTT RJCM UHPP UHMA PANC PAKT KPAE KSFO

KSFO KCYS KPIA KEWR

KEWR CYYR BGBW BIKF EGMC

There may be some countries where we cannot legally fly to or fly over but I thought this did not apply to us as we are trying to replicate a fictional event and some countries did not even exist yet when Jules Verne wrote his book.

Looking forward to start at 2045 local time on the 2nd of October.

Best wishes to you all,

JP

Flight Plan for first leg filed and validated by Eurocontrol :

(FPL-CAC69YT-IS
-DH8D/M-Y/N
-EGMC1930
-N0315F250 DCT DET DCT LYD M189 HAWKE UL612 RESMI UM728 KOLON UM623 VAREK
-LFKJ0230 LFMN
-DOF/171002 REG/A5RGH
 EET/LFFF0025 LFMM0213 OPR/DRUK AIR
-E/0401)

At 18:30 (GMT) the crew will start the checks and wait for the two (not yet famous) passengers to board for this fantastic journey.

The weather looks OK with some turbulence on departure up to the French coast.

See you,

JP

We had to leave Ajaccio quite early as there was a forecast of heavy CBs around Malta developping with the daylight and we got there it was moderate icing and turbulence for about 20 minutes and no way to avoid them as we were at our maximum usable ceiling of 25000 Ft.

Anyway we arrived at Benghazi after 2:50 of flight time which was a bit faster than when I was doing this trip in the seventies with the old DC3.

Here is the details of the trip.

ATW #2 - LFKJ HLLB.pdf

Paro huh!!??  How'd you like that approach?? 

A friend of mine who is a private pilot herself flew into there as a passenger on a National Geo. trip.  She said they were told before takeoff the approach would freak them out and she laughed.  But she surely didn't laugh while it was happening!!!! 

She told me if they offered her another tour there for free she'd not go!  Too scary on approach!!

Rupert

Unloading in Benghazi

Please login to display this image.

We even thought changing aircraft

But finally, after some thoughts we decided to keep the Q400.

The forecast from Benghazi to Port Said was quite right with a tail wind slightly less than forecasted but all together a pleasant leg with the detail below.

Our next trip shall be Port Said to Kowait along the Suez canal.

ATW #3 - HLLB HEPS.pdf

Now we are getting ready for the leg from Port Said to Kuwait (HEPS - OKBK)

We decided to start early to avoid the warm of the desert and the brakes were released at 0437 (GMT).

As planned we were cleared to LONIR and SISIK to follow the Suez Canal all along.

Over Suez at 0447

Then Easterly course at FL250 with a strong tail wind giving us most of the time about 350 Kt GS.

Excellent forecast. AS16 perfect which matched the PFPX planning as usual.

Finally landed at Kuwait Airport and the chocks ON 2 minutes late on the schedule at 0743.

The handling staff very effective starting the unloading at 0750.

As usual enclosed OFP and all documents.

See you

JP

ATW #4 - HEPS OKBK.pdf

A new leg towards Mumbai: OKBK to OIZI.

We thought starting at 0430 GMT but we were ready one hour before so we changed our FPL accordingly.

Starting the climb and leaving Kowait

Turning point VOR SYZ

Over the Iranian desert

Descending on the outbound leg to land on Rwy 35 OIZI

Just arrived at OIZI

A bit boring since Benghazi, only deserts all the way with high temperatures but the good thing tail wind all the time.

As usual AS16, PFPX and RW matching exactly and the template made by Jon for the Q400 is just perfect.

Enclosed the complete Operational Flightplan with TOLD Cards and weather charts (RW).

Going to Mumbai next week.

Have a nice weekend,

JP

ATW #5 - OKBK OIZI.pdf

Arrived in Mumbai from Iran Shahr (OIZI) on the 18th.

Nothing special on the way. Again tailwind and no clouds.

Over the Iranian desert FL250

Then over Karachi

Apparently in Mumbai, it is so busy that everybody goes on a hold or even 360°, so we hold over POKON

Finally, Mumbai in sight, long final Rwy 27

A bit hazy on final, exactly what was on the METAR

Next week Mumbai to Kalkota and then the weather may not be so nice. A lot of CBs everyday.

Enclosed all the files for the flight.

JP

ATW #6 - OIZI VABB.pdf

It is good to know that there are quite few Dash pilots on this ATW trip. I think it would be interesting to share the results in term of fuel, speed, torque, FF, etc. on the Majestic forum when it is going to be over. So far very accurate between the planning and the flight. AS16 and PFPX spot on.

See you,

JP

Hi JP

Thanks for post. Yes, likewise, being new to this forum malarkey, I posted replies to other people who had commented in my diary rather than theirs. I arrived in Nagpur earlier today after opting to fly two legs across India. My fuel usage is spread across the log sheets for each flight. While this is still a manageable number I will try and bring this under control in a spreadsheet. This has been the most back to back flying I've done in FSX for years. Before this trip I hadn't flown at all for over a year. Really enjoying the Dash - bit of a refresher initially but good now. Managed to get a second monitor going to put Navigraph Charts on rather than just relying on the iPad app. I'm guessing AS16 is the newer version of ASN that I have, but I don't recognise PFPX?

Happy landings

Finally moved from Mumbai to Kolkata on the 26th as we had to wait for an extra PAX, Mrs Aouda. So now, up to London, we'll have 3 PAX on board with about 200 Kg of cargo on every flight.

Out of Mumbai climbing on the SID ALBA1B

The country side is much nicer than the desert

Passing over NNP VOR

Approaching Kolkata the weather is getting much cloudy

On short final in Kolkata, the rwy in sight just above the minima

Please note than in FSX the ILS rwy 19L is a bit out.

After landing we had to request the Follow Me

We thought we were going to be parked on the main apron

Wrong we were assigned to the far end of apron 3

Here enclosed the OFP and TOLD

See you en route to Hong Kong.

JP

ATW #7 - VABB VECC.pdf

Hi JP, thanks for info ref PFPX, I'll take a look at those. Turns out I had a simbrief account from ages ago as well as Aurasim. After a lengthy gap, I'd forgotten about these. I flew on from Kolkata to Yangon yesterday (but forgot to add 3rd passenger!) Hoping to continue to Phuket tomorrow.

Happy landings,

James

For our departure from Kolkata we managed to have a better stand near the Control TWR

Again very early departure in the morning to avoid the bad weather. Loading the plane and having the ground staff ready.

Soon after departure CBs start to show on the radar

Then visually on our starboard side

The more we are going towards the East the more CBs we encounter. It was starting to be a bit rough with some icing and the IAS dropping even with all the anti icing systems ON

At last the bad weather is being us

Reaching Laos with a near full moon

Starting our descent towards Luang Prabang (VLLB)

Outbound turn for the ILS Rwy 23

We were lucky to be visual as the ILS is completely OFF (in FSX)

It is confirmed on the map.

Afterwards we deplaced the aircraft on the head of Rwy 23 and it was confirmed that the ILS is OUT

Not a too pleasant flight wit this problems inside the FSX database and the bad weather for a good bit of the way.

Enclosed are the technical details of the flight.

Have a nice day,

JP

ATW #8 - VECC VLLB.pdf

I agree!  There are more than a few places where the ILS is far enough out of position that it could be very dangerous.  But all & all, I find things are portrayed a lot more accurately than I originally expected!

I'm enjoying your flights!

Rupert

Finally as there was a bit of spare time before reaching Hong Kong we decided to do a bit of sight seeing and planned a VFR flight between LUANG PHABANG (LAOS) and HAI PHONG (VIETNAM). Legally you should not do that but with the sim everything is permitted and you wont loose your licence!!!

We were planning to start at FL115 to be at a safe altitude but the conditions being IMC we had to fly for a while at FL130 in IFR

For that trip we decided to use only the raw means of navigation (NDBs and VORs), no FMC for the navigation, only to monitor the fuel and get the METARs.

The weather stating to clear a bit we cancelled the IFR FPL and started to go down to FL115 until the Vietnamese border (VVVV).

Then descending again to FL95 when passing the NAH VOR

A bit hazy at times but still maintaining VMC

Over the CBI VOR (HAI PHONG) at 3500 Ft going towards the HALONG Bayfor site seeing

We got very disapointed by the FSX and even the FTX rendering of this very nice place which is supposed to be one of the nicest bay in the World.

So we went back to land in HAI PHONG (VVCI) and supposed to be an international airport but no taxiway and no parking in FSX.

Our next would bring us to Hong Kong but we'll have to take a long detour through the Chinese airspace and fly in Metres instead of FL in Feet.

See you,

JP

Hey JP, good to hear from you again!

I'm not nearly as thrilled with some of the FSX or ORBX Southern Asia coverage either.  Having said that, other than near the Suez, most of Africa is portrayed even worse!!  I suppose they spend their money on scenery where their customers are most likely to fly?  Of course there are some sand crab companies that do add-ons in specific areas.  Having relatives still living in Scotland, where I visit about every other year, I really enjoy the ScotFlight For ORBYX series.  They are done as a side-gig by a couple of locals who teach at a university there  Some of their scenery almost looks like pictures I've taken RW there.  I've enjoyed flying in and out of Paro for some time.  So I got the PARO addon as well.  You wouldn't believe some of the aircraft I've tried to operate out of Paro!

A buddy of mine on a FlightSim forum and I on occasion pick a difficult airport and see how well we do landing various aircraft at various fuel loads, and PARO is one.  For example, we once spent about a week challenging each other using various aircraft, loads, and weather conditions in and out of Avalon.  You'd think that would be a piece of cake.  IT'S NOT ALWAYS AS EASY AS YOU'D IMAGINE!

As to the RTW RALLY, I'm intentionally flying some of my favorite little hot rods so I don't have long and slow flights.  This allows me to do a lot of "side trips" to airports and places I'd never heard of,  As an old chopper jockey, about a two hour hop is best suited for me.  RW I'd never make it flying commercial in today's auto-pilot long haul world!

If I stumble across some place that interests me more than I expected during this rally, I'll let you know.

Rupert  

Leaving VVCI for VHHH, starting on the runway as there is no taxiway or parking with FSX.

Starting the climb on a strange departure due to restrictions in the Chinese airspace where we have to steer towards the West and later on turning to the East.

When in the Chinese airspace we have to use metres instead of feet and adjust our FL accordingly.

Quite nice weather when on top at FL7500M (24600')

Flying over BHY in China

When entering the HONG KONG airspace, we are back in Feet to FL250

We have to descend quite steeply and fast due to restrictions in Hong Kong

A bit hazy in Hong Kong when on final

And finally parked there after an interesting flight with a quite nice weather

That's all for now with the FPL and various documents enclosed.

Have safe flights,

JP

ATW #9 - VVCI VHHH.pdf

We have decided to move from Hong Kong to Tokyo as soon as the weather looked quite all right with a stop in Okinawa (ROAH).

After take off to comply with the SID we had to maintain 5000 ft for quite few miles giving us an extra fuel consumption

Until RAMEN

Then we were cleared to climb to our cruise altitude FL250

The weather was fair at the beginning when we spotted few CBs on our right side

Then some cells visible on our radar

Getting worse with some lightning and we had to turn the storm light ON. Then quite severeicing and the IAS dropped to 160 kt and the GS 270.

Then it stated to be better over Taiwan

We left Taiwan through the APU VOR

Then the weather started to clear for the final part of that leg

We started our descent towards Okinawa

And the Okinawa island in sight

We were established on the ILS but we had the same problem before with FSX.  The ILS Rwy 36 was a bit OFF but as the weather was OK we finished hand flying the approach.

And finally we parked on stand 45 and we were met by the "GSX" people

Enclosed the flight documents.

See you very soon.

JP

ATW #11 - VHHH ROAH.pdf

The Hong Kong Yokohama was yesterday and this morning i was ready quite early to finish the trip to Tokyo (RJTT).

Lined up in ROAH (Yokohama) with the Dash 8 Q400 and ready for take off at 04h30 (GMT)

Cleared to FL 250 as we are quite light with only 3 PAX we reached FL 250 13 minutes after T Off

Nothing else than sea and clouds

Always on top of the clouds. No turbulence and no icing. A real pleasant flight as we like them.

After about two hours over the water, the Japanese coast is in sight

Over the KEC VOR

Then starting our descent to RJTT and cleared directly from KOUGA to ARLON. Arriving in Tokyo the traffic is very dense with the two international airports close to each other but ATC is very efficient there (see Flightradar24)

Intercepting the LOC RWY 34L

Nearly sunset and on final 34L

On final and as we are so light that the Vref is only 105 Kt

Exit via L6

A pity that GSX does not work always when we call so we arrived at the gate (151) without anybody to meet us.

Anyway we are at Tokyo now and have a few days to prepare ourselves before the North Pacific crossing that we plan in 8 legs :

RJTT  RJCM  UHPP  PADK  PACD  PANC  PAKT  KPAE  KSFO

Enclosed PLOG, FPL, weather charts and TOLD cards.

See you soon,

JP

ATW #12 - ROAH RJTT.pdf

Hi JP, interesting point about G-JEDU, but with only 3 passengers and myself, getting off wasn't going to be too  much of a problem!

I arrived at Haneda at sunset earlier this evening after fiddling round with time differences and sunset in Tokyo. Journey's end for my Flybe Dash. I decided at the outset to go for the boring 1 leg in a B777 across the Pacific to San Francisco. Real world stuff to catch up with over the next 2 weeks.

Happy landings

Archived