nmetheny: RTW80

nmetheny

Greetings fellow flight simmer pilots. Nice to be meeting you all. I got the invite email sort of late for this event so its a late start for me. I jammed out a route to be flown by the only piston pounder I can find capable of doing it. Thanks to Amelia Earhart for cluing me in. (RIP Amelia). I'm going to use the Lockheed L-10E Electra, strip it down and turn it into a flying gas can. (604 gal, supposedly 2800 mile range, I'll believe it if I survive the dunk in the pool) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Model_10_Electra ) The route I planned is all AVGAS stops. Some airports don't stock it but I should have enough to carry over to the next one that does.That took some doing but somehow I made it work. All my legs are true to accurate as best of my knowledge. My route is 39 total legs trying to use a consistency of 500 NM per leg. Needless to say it didn't always work out that way but every leg is within the ability of my plane. Hope its within my ability to fly straight and keep the shiny side up! The software being used is FSX Steam with various addons and Little Navmap flight planning. I welcome any corrections as I am not a pilot, just a flight simmer enthusiast. The route is below. 

Oct 2-9:

EGLL- LIMF London, United Kingdom - Torino, Italy

LIMF - LICA Torino, Italy - Lamezia, Italy

LICA - LGSA Lamezia, Italy - Chania, Greece

LGSA - HECA Chania, Greece - Cairo, Egypt (Suez)

Oct 10-23:

HECA - OETB Cairo, Egypt (Suez) - Tabuk, Saudi Arabia

OETB - OERK Tabuk, Saudi Arabia - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

OERK - OMFJ Rivadh, Saudia Arabia - Fujairah, United Arab Emirates

OMFJ - OPKC Fujairah, United Arab Emirates - Karachi, Pakistan

OPKC - VABB Karachi, Pakistan - Mumbai, India (Bombay)

Oct 24-26: 

VABB - VARP Mumbai, India (Bombay) - Raipur, India (No AVGAS here so I'm just stopping to grab a very out of place taco or ten :)

VARP - VECC Raipur, India - Kolkata, India (Calcutta) 

Oct 27-Nov 8:

VECC - VGEG Kolkata, India (Calcutta) - Chittagong, Bangladesh

VGEG - ZPJH Chittagong, Bangladesh - Xishuangbanna, China (no AVGAS, guess I"m going higher)

ZPJH - ZGNN Xishuangbanna, China - Nanning, China (come on, no AVGAS again!)

ZGNN - VHHH Nanning, China - Hongkong, China

Nov 8-14:

VHHH - VSAM Hongkong, China - Xiamen, China (Ugh, no AVGAS)

VSAM - ROAH Xiamen, China - Naha, Japan

ROAH - RJFY Naha, Japan - Kenoya, Japan

RJFY - RJAA Kenoya, Japan - Tokoyo, Japan (Yokohama)

Nov 15 - Dec 5:

RJAA - RJEC Toyoko, Japan (Yokohama) - Asahikauna, Japan

RJEC - PACD Asahikuana, Japan - Cold Bay, Alaska (Looooong leg for a piston pounder, is why I had to use Electra)

PACD - PANC Cold Bay, Alaska - Anchorage Alaska

PANC - PAJN Anchorage Alaska - Juneau, Alaska

PAJN - PAKT Juneau, Alaska - Ketchikan, Alaska 

PAKT - CYVR Ketchikan, Alaska - Vancouver, Canada

CYVR - KLMT Vancouver, Canada - Klamath, Oregon

KLMT - KSFO Klamath, Oregon - San Francisco, California

Dec 6-12:

KSFO - KPVU San Franacisco, California - Provo, Utah

KPVU - KAIA Provo, Utah - Alliance, Nebraska

KAIA - KCID Alliance, Nebraska - Ceder Rapids, Iowa

KCID - KYNG Ceder Rapids, Iowa - Youngstown/Warren, Ohio

KYNG - KJFK Youngstown/Warren Ohio - New York City, New York

Dec 13-21:

KJFK - CYQB New York City, New York - Quebec, Canada

CYQB - CYYR Quebec, Canada - Goose Bay, Newfoundland

CYYR - CYFB Goose Bay, Newfoundland - Iqaluit, Newfoundland

CYFB - BGSF Iqaluit, Newfoundland - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland

BGSF - BIKF Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Keflavik, Iceland

BIKF - EGEC Keflavik, Iceland - Campbeltown, United Kingdom

EGEC - EGLL Campbeltown, United Kingdom - London, United Kingdom

I arrived at Heathrow early evening for start of the event tomorrow and was treated to a nice twilight sky as I was landing. Thought I would share. Wish all pilots involved a great journey. 

Please login to display this image.

I love it as well. This one has some bugs in it I'm gonna have to work out. My fav plane is Douglas DC-3. I may strip that and turn it into a flying gas can as well. 

Greetings to my fellow virtual comrades. Today we flew from Heathrow to Turin. Was a very early flight as I wanted to see the sunrise after last nights sunset. I was almost dusting the tops of the alps due to lack of needed performance but I made it over......barely.  My flight took 4 hrs 42 minutes which was approx 1.5 hours longer than the flight plan stated. This is due to only being able to achieve 135 knots max instead of 165 knots cruising that is advertised with the plane. The fuel burn was 1056 lbs or 167 gallons, not bad for an old bird. Noticed that one of my prop spinners was damaged. This is why one of my engines was running hot. Have to get that fixed. If I need another plane to continue, I noticed a Douglas DC-3 near by. Posted a cpl pics that came out decent of today's leg. Posted a couple real pics of the cityscape as well. Let me know if anyone thinks I should include any other info or photos. Hope all had a safe flight for those who flew today!

Hello comrades. Today we flew our 2nd part of our first leg from (LIMF) Caselle Italy to (LICA) Lamezia Italy.

Got a thumping virtual headache as  I was bounced around by wind shear quite a bit, especially around the Rome area mountains near the ocean.

My Electra was in repair today being fixed by my mechanic "Wrong way". Hoping Wrongway can get me my Electra by time I fly the next part. In place of it, I flew the McDonald Douglas DC-3 FSX version.

I have Just Fights D-3 planes but since I haven't mastered them yet so took the easy way out today. I departed the gates at 11:40 a.m. and the flight lasted 6 hrs and 15 min. ( There was a 45 min delay while sitting at the departure runway )

I burnt 444 gallons of AVGAS over 558 NM not counting the the STAR route. Being that I had some seats to fill, thought I would get some passengers to help offset the cost of fuel. I had 26 passengers and 600 lbs of cargo totaling 5360 lbs in weight. That accounts for the larger amount of fuel used. Here are a couple real pics of the Terme airport. 

I'm gonna go find some taco's to nurse this headache with. ( There is Taco's in Italy, right? ) Whats with the red and white color scheme? 

Well, Wrongway got me my Electric back. The new spinner was installed and working great. 

As usual, Wrongway took it upon himself to "lighten the aircraft" to get better fuel mileage across the oceans. Ugh! He took all the

rivets out. Really?!?! Guess I need another aircraft. This one needs serious repair! 

I just bailed........Glad I had a silly looking parachute and a wet suit. Got picked up by a 

Russian trawler. The crew was having Taco's  :D

Lucky for me that I bought a new DC3 last week and even though I haven't done a full check out on it yet, I'm off departing from

LICA Terme Airport in Lemezia Italy and heading to LGSA Loannis Daskalogiannis Airport in Chania Greece.

Flying direct into early morning sun. I'm pretty sure I got a retina scan from some aliens during this blinding event. I couldn't see

anything normal for an hour. 

This plane comes with a nice panel. Too bad ya have to rely on the old 2D panel to fly the thing. Maybe its a bug. Will see later. :(

The weather today was like......very crystal clear. Wonder what the retina scan did to me. Approaching Loannis Daskalogiannis

Airport. 

Full landing configuration, she just glides in!!! Had to share the eye candy.

One of my best landings considering it was one of my worst flights ever. At least I got fed!

No real pics this time. There is nothing at this airport but a shack and some trees (and some AVGAS). I'm gonna qualify my new DC3 in my down time

here, fly a few circuits. :cheers_s:

**Still having DirectX 10 issues messing with my planes and scenery. Both FSX and FSX Steam. Oh well. Guess that's what default planes are for** 

Using my trusty backup DC-3 Today. No clue where Wrongway is. That may be a good thing! Weather was windy and skies

were choppy. Who has more sand, Greece or Egypt. I thought I knew that answer as well. Flying from LGSA Ioannis

Daskaloglannis Airport in Chania Greece to HECA Cairo Intl in Cairo Egypt. This will finish our first leg to Suez. 

TaTaTaTURBULANCE!!!!! Got bounced around quite a bit at FLT 100......and FLT 110.....and FLT 120.....

.....FLT 130 smoothed out some. Oh goodie, more water!

......and sand.....

.....and Pyramids. Wow, how cool! The Spinx is staring at me.....hmm. Located west of the airport. 

A DC-3 of course is not equipped with an ILS system. May be a good thing as someone built a building right smack dab in front of

RNWY 5L. It appears to be where the ILS signal would lie.

Wild weather today, full left rudder crosswind landing. Just call me Lefty! They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. 

Wondering who is "they"? (yes the still props ghost pilot are the DX issue, ugh!)

Wrongway.......is that you??? What on earth are you doing walking on water? 

Cpl more pics......

Going to go get Wrongway and get my planes fixed for the 2nd Leg.

All set to fly the first part of the 2nd Leg from Cairo, Egypt to an Tabuk Egypt. Found that my Nav info was out dated as it had

the airport labeled wrong. Instead of King Faisac Bin Abdulaziz Airport, it is now called Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz. Guess the

latest Nav updates are a little behind.

These are the gauges that Wrongway set up for me as my new DC-3 just doesn't have all the function in the virtual cockpit as the

2-D cockpit. Its not a bug, its just not there. The plane flies like a dream though!

There was absolutely, nope, nadda, zero things to see out the window but sand.................

.........except a small patch of some sort of grass looking stuff just outside the destination airport. I was in full landing configuration early 

so I could fly over it slowly and savior the only inflight view. 

Its a good looking plane but Wrongway doesn't help the image much in the co-pilot seat in his co-pilot jammies. At least I know 

where he is! His coveralls were wet from walking on water......

......and a nice easy glide into QETB Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Airport. Glad I don't have to type that airport name often. 

Its amazing how many pics are not available for this area. So only a couple real pics this time. 

Its a nice airport. They even have AVGAS. Wish they had cold bottled water, its only 122 out

today. 

Wrongway and I wish ya all a safe journey on this leg!

Today we flew the 2nd part of the 2nd Leg from Tubek Saudi Arabia (OETB) to Ryladh Saudi Arabia (OERK). Wrongway got the

Electra working again but while taking off, discovered it still has some weight distribution issues.

Flying over Saudia Arabia warrents pretty much the same view everywhere. Major sand and Oil Refineries. Leads one's mind to 

wonder.........

Wow, look at that view, more sand...............hmmmm...............pretty sky..............cloud looks like a taco!

Yep, sand........................................wonder what I would do without Wrongway?..............................

After a fairly long leg, calm winds aloft, no excitement what so ever, we found the airport. It was right there right smack dab in the 

middle of the sand. 

Upon parking, leaving to hit up a motel, look at what I saw...........................where is the sand!?!? Of course I had to see this in 

daylight. 

This has to be one of the nicest airports in the country.....on the inside. Made out of sand I guess.

........the next morning.......I saw this out the porch window......ugh....hmm....oh man!......Wrongway, bring

back my Electra! What are you doing? You're supposed to be tuning it.  That's not what I meant when I asked

you to  test it! Aghhh....that plane can't do that!!!.....can it?

16 minutes ago, PeSt said:

i send you my "electra help file" with pm, maybe you can use one of the tips and tricks. all the things inside i found in the web.

Thank you Sir! I will review little later on today. I wish you a Great Day in mean time! 

The Electra L-10 E has had a DX11 meltdown. When we figured out what to do, Wrongway had a brother Whichway, and he could get us our

DC-3 to King Khaled Intl airport where we were for a few days, as we had no plane. Well in comes Whichway with our.....um DC-3???.

No he brought a B-29 Super Fortress!?!?! Ugh! I'll be darned. Where in the heck did he get that? Oh how cool! Another piston

pounder of the WWII era. I'm hoping our airports have a LOT of AVGAS. After checking this not so small bird out, it was kind of

cool actually. I MUST FLY! So I took a bank loan out, filled the tank, sent a check to the person Whichway grabbed this ol bird

from, and proceeded to check er out! 

Lovin this bird! Good thing Wrongway's brother joined us and this ol bird needs 3 people to fly. Did a check out right to our next

destination, part 3 of the 2nd leg to (OMJF) Fujairah Intl in Fujairah United Emerates. Great view out the cockpit and Whichway

even cleaned the windows! 25 degrees flaps and she lifts off by herself at 105 mph indicated, even with full tanks. 

Not a bad looking plane. FLT250 and what used to be a long leg, wasn't so bad, she moves for a piston pounder! A shot of the 

Co-pilot area......

Flying over Dubai, I was looking for all those man made islands. Didn't see a thing. Darn!

This pic is what I missed the most. Probably the coolest new piece of architecture on the planet today! (Wish I had a couple extra

bucks, Whichway put me into the poor house with bringing the wrong plane).

All lined up for what I hope to be a smooth landing......

Just as I was coming in, there was some sort of fog, glare, who knows what and all the sudden I was doing almost a blind VFR

landing. I had no time to grab a pic, just the stick! ( It wasn't pretty! ) Once on the ground after a hop .......or two.......:wacko:

I saw.......................??????????..... In Italy, there is the Leaning Tower of Pizza (ya I know I spelled it wrong, I was hungry). Here we 

have the Floating (Lack of) Control Tower! (I swear I was not drinking on this flight!) :cheers_s:

Parked! I need another drink! ........Oops, I need a drink I mean! Cheers! 

Kind of cool.....

Really cool! A wooden carving of a falcon (best guess). Right down the street from the airport. 

Today, Wrongway, Whichway, and myself took off from Fujairah Intl (OMFJ) in Fujairah United Emirates

and heading to Jinnah Intl (OPKC) in Karachi Pakistan. We are using our newly acquired B-29 Super

Fortress. This beast is already a flying gas can due to the original reason it was built, long range bombing.

From the previous flight, I can say without a doubt it flies and handles like a garbage can! Ugh, Wrong way

forgot to lube the right rear wheels as seen here a smokin on take off. I wondered why the propeller torque

was less this take off this time.

She's a beautiful bird isn't she........

Mid flight at FLT250 just a crusin along........

When Boom!!!! All the clouds appear. (Note to self, turn on Active Sky next time dingy!)

Now the fun starts. Even though its FSX real time weather, we seem to have a situation building. This almost never happens. In mean

time, we are in full landing configuration.....

While Wrongway and I are trying to see the airport. Whats going on!?!? There cant be fog here this time of day . Oh crap. Whichway

figured it out. We are now flying through a sand storm. Oh crap! This never happens to me. I ask my babbling associates if they can

see the airport. Whichway is now focusing on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Wrongway iwent to the back of the plane doing who

knows what.I CAAAAN'T SEE THE AIRPOOORT! AGHHHH! 

This is a real time sand storm happening in Pakastan at the exact time I was flying this Leg. Whowah!!! (Personally, I think this

is cool but I'm to stupid to be scared). 

Well, without anyone on board's help, (found out Wrongway is napping)  I managed to land this bird on part of the runway, the left

half of the runway!!. (Yep, any landing you survive is a good landing) 

.....and taxied to the gate that I couldn't see either. We bagged up the engines, closed er up and headed off for tacos and beer. 

What better thing to do in a sand storm! Probably have to put the paint back on in the morning. 

Hope the rest of ya have a smooooth flight! Later for now. 

Today was last part of Leg 2 Jinnah Intl (OPKC) to Chhatrapati Shivajl Intl (VABB). Karachi Pakistan to Mumbai India. Due to

traveling this weekend, not virtually, this will be a quick post. Starting to love this new bird the B-29A the more I get used to

flying it. Its different that most modern planes as it just falls out of the sky on final and ya wind up those piston pounderes and

whaaam, too fast. Well, finally made my own set of references for the way she flies out of the factory and now lands like a dream. 

When time allows, will adjust the center of gravity and fix this lead sled! 

Taxing .......

Taking off, sort of leaving this flight up to Whichway as he brings a little luck in the scheme of things, even though he gets hungry

when things get tough.

Finally more than one terrain type while in flight. Sand, grass, tundra, rock, water, instead of just saaaaaaand!

Slow delayed turning but when the sun catches this bird right...........

My view out of the co-pilots seat...........

Whichway puts er in landing configuration much earlier than I do.......(making note to self) Nice n slow, take your time.............

Whichway lines up, bet he is too high!.................Um well, uh, hmmmm..............

Well bet Whichway bounces and lands crooked.........hmm ahh.......did he touch down yet??? (Very smooth landing right down the

center, so smooth that it didn't even jar the plane)

Pouting my way to motel.....need tacos! Until next time,......we three wish all ya the best. Leg a 3 is a comin! :cheers_s: 

(insert taco gif here if I could find one)

Today we depart Mumbai India Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl (VABB) on our way over India to Raipur India at Raipur Airport(VARP).

Wrongway has the place tuned and ready to go. Whichway is hiding in one of the turrit's eating another Peanut Butter Sandwich. He

must of had a great view of our takeoff. Here we are climbing at 195 IAS with these powerful Wright R-3350 Duples-Cyclone

piston pounding delight, with the throttle settings about 1/2 cause you just don't need any more power than that!

Climbing out heading for FLT130

Ta Ta Ta turbulence setting in. I still cant find my active sky addon, Whichway must of ate it I guess.....or Steam just up and

swallowed it. I swear there is more maintenance to FSX than the actual B-29 Super Fortress needs on a regular basis. I need 

XPlane!

Along with the turblance, which disturbed Whichway's nap. (Hmm, that means Wrongway is in the Co-pilots seat. Gulp!) We went 

through a thermal pocket at FLT250 when leaving the desert area into some tundra/grassland type area. Like magic, POOF.....

.....contrails from our Jet simulating piston pounding engines. Got to love FSX!

On final to Raipur Airport(VARP), lined up to the 6,000 foot runway. I thought about getting nervous but this bird practically floats. 

90mph stall speed full flaps. Plenty of room to brake. 

.....honestly I lost the pic of the touchdown. It was little left of center but smooth. 

Cpl pics of the area: This airport is just finished being built. FSX doesn't even have scenery of it but the runway. No jets here. 

.....an office building in Raipur. Colorful

And Wrongway and Whichway out on a boat (middle left) invading some peoples Buda time. Hoping they come back!

Till next time........cheers! :cheers_s:

Today we fly the 2nd part of the 3rd leg. (VARP) Raipur Airport Raipur, India to (VECC) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Intl. (Calcutta)

Kolkata, India.

Gonna do it a little different today. Since a short leg, we are gonna qualify this ol bird on a low altitude slow

speed flight (Low n slow at 9000 ft that is). While we are doing that, we are gonna showcase this ol bird in case any of ya want to go grab

one for your self on the Steam FSX version of flight sim.

• Full virtual cockpit with gauges and controls 
  • Accurate and functional Engineer's Station 
  • Bare-metal bump-mapped 2048-pixel texture sets 
  • Animated doors and togglable bomb load 
  • Custom engine start-up smoke (note: engines should be started individually) 
  • Togglable animated crew figures with period flight gear 
  • Illustrated user manual PDF 
  • Soundset by Sonic Solutions. 
  • Paintkit files provided.

**Note – this aircraft does not features a 2D panel

Time to bring this bird to life...1st pic shows the vertical speed gauge lifting as the nose comes up off the runway. Nice touch!

This runway is 6,000 feet in length. This bird handles it very well with plenty to spare. You could launch this B-29 off an aircraft

carrier and I am guessing it would take off. (Maybe not with full armament) Definitely not in real life!

Rolling down the runway, in our situation being a short flight with 7197 lbs of fuel (approx 30%) and 25 degrees of flaps, this bird

lifts off on her own taking off like a tail dragger! Nice level steady climb just like its trimmed out, but has no trim controls.  (Its nice,

but is it realistic? I have no idea! Anyone out there ever flown a B-29?)

Just showing end of 6000 foot runway. We could of increased her angle of attack and climbed quicker if we needed to but it just

wasn't necessary here. 

During climb out, Wrongway was flying a drone outside from inside the B-29 and got a selfie of Whichway and I piloting this ol

bird.

A view from Whichway's seat, the co-pilot seat.......(just needed to make sure Whichway knew his position in this adventure)

A view from the bombardier seat with the scope forward (yes it retracts so you can sit down easier). Nice touch as well!

Some inside views while we are leveled off at 9,000 feet. Low enough that ground speed is same as airspeed. Not sure if that is 

realistic as well. Settings on the engineers panel are: manifold 22, (that's almost at idle throttle setting) mixture is set at auto, and

the props are set to 2100 RPM's for crusie which gives us 220 IAS. This is taken care of by the flight engineer in this bird. 

Looking back from pilots area.......

Looking forward from aft of stations by ladders to go through the crawl spaces to rear turrets. 

The radioman's station and part of the navigators station to the right.....

If the armament was loaded, you would see this. If the armament was not loaded, you would see this also.....hmmm! I had no 

ordinance loaded! Dont need all the extra weight. 

Back to the flight, turning final, 150 mph, full flaps, gear down, prop rpm 2100, 18 degrees manifold pressure. 

Correcting EVERYTHING for a crosswind landing..........

Look at that rudder, was stepping on it pretty hard! 

Wind sheeeeeeer, THUMP! Actually landed like a helicopter. Oh well, we walked away!

Narrow taxi ways at this airport, guessing not many bigger planes!

Parked, bomb doors open. Wonder why its on the checklist to open them when parked?  

No extras this time, post was long enough! Hope all are having a great time! Heading off towards Hong Kong tomorrow. We be 

heading for tacos now! :cheers_s:

I cannot edit this misplaced pic out of here. Delete it and it comes right back. Ugh!    ;)

Today we fly the 1st part of the 4th leg. (VECC) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Intl. Kolkata, India (Calcutta) to (VGEG) Shah Amanat Intl.

Chittagong Bangladesh. We are gonna do a night flight today. Wrongway changed a bulb in the dash last night

and wants to see if it works. Whichway is Co-Pilot and Wrongway is the Engineer on this trip. 

9R

We take off on Runway 19R , power up and check that bulb...... Is it me or is my landing lights emitting from no where? 

Lifting off, this ol bird just climbs all by itself with 25 degrees of flaps. Ya don't even have to pull back on the yoke. Bulb works..

Nice!

Cruising along, still can't figure out what happened to my Active Sky. 

Bulb still works........

Ooooh, cruising over a watershed at FLT170. 

We are coming up on Runway 23 at Shah Amanat Int. (VGEG)

I, not Whichway, but I set her down dead center! ( Whichway laughs as he says I hit the rear skid plate as I had just a touch to 

much flair) I don't think so! Not me! (Is that sparks I see in the back of the plane?)

Lets check out another view....looks good to me!

Trying to keep from looking at Whichway, I cruise to..ahh....hmm........I guess the tower,  the only building at this location?!? Then 

we tie her down for the remainder of the night. 

Some photos of the airport and the area.....

........a boating town from what I can tell. 

What the heck is this??? Open for any answers from ya all. Its just down the road from the airport Hey Wrongway, ya know what 

this is? Wrongway, where did ya go? 

.....he didn't say he was going to play golf with Whichway. Looks like that first drive went 10 feet to the left! Hehe He plays like

he flies!

(shhhh, don't tell Whichway I scraped the tail on the landing, fortunately Wrongway has some extra rivets  :)

:cheers_s: Time for this ol captain to hit up the local beer and taco joint! Wish ya all a safe flight!

Today we fly the 2nd part of the 4th leg. (VGEG) Shah Amanat Intl in Chittagong Bangladesh to (ZPJH) Gasa Airport Xshuangbanna

China. Whichway is Pilot and Wrongway is the C0-Pilot on this trip. I'm gonna kick back and slack just like Whichway likes to do at

the most unusual times. Finished our inspection and check out, ready to taxi....

Not a lot to see here. Hmm is that haze? Oh yea, Wrongway and I took a few days off and redid everything in this virtual world. 

(formatted the flight sim computer and reloaded everything) We got tired of all the oddities and constant repairs. Whichway of 

course slept. Entering Runway 34...

We get a rolling start.....nothing exciting here.....but.....more haze???

Which way will probably overshoot the runway. He doesn't have much experience with shorter runways...........hmm......oh crap....

a smooth lift off......he got lucky! Whats that I see in the back ground? Wow!!!:grouprespect_s:My active sky is back!!  I found it.

(okay..,..Wrongway found it)  I'm really not bowing to Wrongway.....well he cant see me doing it behind his back. (Wrongway also

loaded X-Plane 11 Steam ed. into the computer this time as well, currently no piston pounders available in it though)

Just checkin out the Active Sky.....I missed it!

Climbing out to......

FLT250......(Hello Active Sky, no more stock clouds with right angles in them) 

We are almost at Gasa Airport. All configured for landing, Airport is 5 miles ahead.......ugh.....DME and GPS says so. Maybe I

should switch seats with Whichway, He seems awful close to the trees. What airport!!!! Wrongway, do you see the airport?? Oh

my gosh, now he is snoring. Whats with these two? (Obviously Wrongway isn't worried about anything with Whichway at the 

controls)

Did we pass it???? Whichway, you are really close to those trees. No reason to fly nap of the earth here. (The plane is lined up

perfectly on the approach glidescope) 

Wow, looking over Wrongways head, there is Gasa Airport........all the way dow

w

w

w

n there?? Its at the bottom of that steep hill 

which ends at the threshold. Whichway,........go to the alternate......anywhere but here.....please.....(I'm getting in crash a position!) 

Too high, too high.....but trimming the trees......the glidescope is well below at this point. (I'm hiding and praying!)

(Whichway speaking here) Neal, its simple, its like flying down a 1000 meter ski jump......ya just have to fly 1/2 mile an hour above

stall speed (94 1/2 mph) let the plane sink like a rock while keeping the nose pointed to the sky. At the bottom of the hill, speed up

the plane to landing speed (120), undo the drastic flare slow back down to stall speed and gently set this bird down nice and

smooth, no need for VASI or glidescope here! ..........( I say " ya right" as I am hiding on the floor behind the snoring co-pilot)

My famous last words......." Show off".... I say after the landing and while I'm climbing back into the engineers chair. (I had faith in

his flying the whole time, really!)

Thinking to myself.......How the heck did Whichway do that?

I'm pretty sure Whichway just defied the laws of gravity! He comments that "he never studied law!" Ugh, now he hears my thoughts?

(This B-29 is an amazing plane!) 

I need a beer, and tacos to calm the nerves! Cheers! (leaving Wrongway to sleep right where he is)

Quick post today, playing catch up as life got in way. Trying to keep on schedule. Today we fly the 3rd part of the 4th leg (ZPJH)

Gasa Airport Xshuangbanna China to (ZGNN) Wuxu Airport Nanning China. Early morning start, going through checklist and

firing up this beast!

Wow, it was pouring! :unsure: This is taxing to runway 34 Gaso airport is so small there are no taxi ways. Definitely had a noticeable

difference hitting take off speed. I never knew FSX was that precise. Could of been the hangover I got from the Chinese tacos

last night!

Climbing out and still just a few feet over the ground.....

Threading the mountainous needle! 

What can I say, every now and then I manage to capture what I think is a good pic. This is one of those times......

Oh boy, hit some of those thunderheads.......ta-ta-ta-turbulance again!

Leveled off at FLT250.... 

Not much in the middle of the flight so fast forwarding to the final approach.....wow look, flat land.

Lined up and good for touchdown.....

Well it was a nice smooth, right down the center touchdown. I have no pics of the landing. I think Whichway snagged them so I 

couldn't show them. He gets jealous ya know! It wasn't Wrongway as he is still asleep in co-pilot's chair being no help at all. (In

reality, the screen shots from the landing replay never captured for what ever reason and I exited the flight before I realized it. 

I'd much rather blame Whichway, it gives me joy). Hope all are having a great time. See ya next leg! 

Today we fly the 4th part of the 4th leg(ZGNN) Wuxu Airport Nanning China to (VHHH) Hong Kong Intl. Hong Kong China. Ya, 

another early morning flight. Its a military thing I never got over. Yes, we get more done by breakfast time than most people 

do all day! The older I get, the less this is true. But, I knew of some early morning weather along this leg. Had to see. 

Taxing out to runway 5......

Full power lift off.......

And wow.....(Active weather).......look at that morning sky! Early thunderstorms and.......

there it is, lightning! Its rare in the early mornings in general but I got a weather report for the area and was expecting it. 

No interior lighting here, this was a lightning flash, I wonder if it hit the plane itself?  :blink: Had no issues though. :P

one last shot.......

and on we go. Here we are leveled off at FLT250. Seems to be my fav altitude. This big ol bird sips AVGAS at that altitude at 

220 kn speed. 

Approaching Hong Kong Intl for runway 7L.

All lined up, looks decent so far.

The area scenery is more than I expected for FSX. 25 yrs flying Microsoft Flight Sim and I have 

never been to Hong Kong. 

.........and THUMP! She just dropped all the sudden. Micro burst??? Ya, that's it! It wasn't the pilot at all. Whichway begs to differ. 

If ya look close on pic below, the dust is flying from the part of the runway that most people glide over, the threshold that is. Once

again, never expected that from FSX.

(I have figured out that the flaring technique I use with the view I use is causing excessive flaring and possible tail dragging.

Correcting the view on landing on next flight should correct this moon watching thing I seem to be doing. Yes Whichway told me

about this...hmm...) 

Taxing to gate 49 Sierra. Wonder how I would type that in Chinese? Loving the scenery. 

Another shot while taxing to gates....engines all just stalled! Ut oh! 

Wrongway, ya think you could check out those engines? They seem......well.....ugh....hot! 

Glad to meet ya all here. Chinese taco's for all pilots on me! (I'll get Whichway to pay for them hopefully!) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived