Around the World in 80 Days (with DC-3)

mvesterholm

OK, I try to pass this trip with my old and faithful (?) DC-3. I'm just doing the planning and it does not look very good. It rather looks like many takeoffs and landings along the route. Anyway, I'll put my plan here  a.s.a.p.

vor 21 Stunden , mvesterholm sagte:

OK, I try to pass this trip with my old and faithful (?) DC-3. I'm just doing the planning and it does not look very good. It rather looks like many takeoffs and landings along the route. Anyway, I'll put my plan here  a.s.a.p.

So here are my 70 legs with DC 3. I can be almost sure that I won't make it in time But it's fun to try anyway. Good luck to all other flyers.

London City airport EGLC  
Darois LFGI  
Campo Dell' Oro LFKJ  
 Punta Raisi LICJ  
Tripoli Intl HLLT  
Benina HLLB  
Mersa Matruh HEMM  
Cairo Intl HECA Suez
Bir Jifjafah HE36  
En Yahav LLEY  
Guriat OEGT  
Al Jouf OESK  
Rafha OERF  
Ali Al Salem AB OKAS  
 Fasa OISF  
Ras Al Khaimah Intl OMRK  
Gwadar Intl OPGD  
Jinnah Intl OPKC  
Porbandar VAPR  
Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl VABB Bombay (Mumbai)
Nagpur VANP  
Munda VERC  
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose In VECC Calcutta (Kolkata)
Bagan VYBG  
Oudomsay VLOS  
Wuxu ZGNN  
Hong Kong Intl VHHH Hong Kong
Changle ZSFZ  
Pudong ZSPD Shanghai
Jeju Intl RKPC  
Takamatsu RJOT  
Tokyo (Haneda) Intl RJTT Yokohama
Hakodate RJCH  
Khomutovo UHSS  
Nogliki UHSN  
AYAN-MUNUK UHNA  
Ust-Maya UEMU  
Oimyakon UEMJ  
Sokol UHMM  
Severo-Evensk UHMW  
Khailino UHPF  
Okrujnoy UHAO  
Provideniya Bay UHMD  
St Mary's PASM  
Kantishna 5Z5  
Beaver Creek CYXQ  
Teslin CYZW  
Ketchikan Intl PAKT  
Bella Coola CYBD  
Seattle-Tacoma Intl KSEA  
Klamath Falls KLMT  
San Francisco Intl KSFO San Francisco
Eureka 05U  
Meeker KEEO  
Kearney Mun KEAR  
Quad-City Intl. KMLI  
Coleman A Young Mun KDET  
Williamsport Rgnl KIPT  
Kennedy Intl KJFK New York
Quebec Lesage Intl CYQB  
Poste Montagnais CSF3  
Kuujjuaq CYVP  
Iqaluit CYFB  
Pangnirtung CYXP  
Nuuk BGGH  
Kulusuk BGKK  
Stykkisholmur BIST  
Egilsstadir BIEG  
Vagar EKVG  
Dundee EGPN  
London City EGLC  

First leg behind. Couldn't get any photos (well, it was dark anyway all the time) nor the route to be seen. I had to land to Longvic (LFSD) instead of

Darois (LFGI) because Darois does not have any lights, I noticed. Quite windy close to Paris. Now I have to find out how I can get some photos and to get a tracking app for FSX.  

Second leg behind me. Crossed the Alps without any problems but when closing Ajaccio I had several crashes (computer, not plane). I succeeded to get some pictures of the flight (means that I finally found the right folder). I'll put some of them here. Tomorrow I'll continue to the North-Africa.

2017-10-3_22-14-52-921.BMP

2017-10-4_23-22-12-227.BMP

2017-10-4_23-40-46-331.BMP

Two legs today after couple of days computer problems caused by Intel turbo boost. Anyway, the first leg was from Ajaccio to Palermo. Lot´s of sidewind in Palermo. Then the second leg was from Palermo to Tripoli. That was quite nice crossing of Mediterranean. Arrival at Tripoli only after sunset.

Flying to Tripoli.BMP

Leaving Ajaccio.BMP

Leaving Palermo.BMP

Sicily.BMP

Arrived to Gwadar Intl. From here I plan to fly directly to Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl in Bombay (Mumbay). The Gwadar Intl does not really look like Intl but who cares. As long as they have petrol and maintenance offered, it's good enough for me.

Bad moon rising over the Persian Gulf.BMP

Gwadar intl.BMP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that my last diary update on November 8th has not for some reason been recorded in my diary. Maybe I should try not to do the updates in the middle of the night. 

Anyway, despite of the fact that I might not be within the community event anymore because of the missing update, I'm leaving now Hong Kong and targeting next Shanghai.

So I left Yokohama (Tokyo Haneda) for San Francisco. It takes some time before it's time to put some flower in my hair. The first stop was Kastrikum (ZA55) on Urup Island in the Kuril Islands. Now I'm heading to Yelizovo (UHPP) Im Kamchatka.

There are also some pictures of my night flight to Kastrikum.

Kastrikum airport.BMP

Night flight at Kuril Islands.BMP

Today I reached Kodiak Mun (KDK) on Kodiak Island. Tomorrow I'll continue to Bella Bella (CYJQ) in British Columbia. KDK has a rather narrow and short runway. Some other airport might have been easier to land. Anyway, I made it in one piece but on the second trial only...

KDK.BMP

Kodiak Island.BMP

Sunrise over Bering sea.BMP

Bella Bella (CYJQ) reached. I had only 35-37 knots of sidewind when approaching. For a DC-3 that seemed to be a bit too much... or I have a bug in that plane because that's how it's always been. Fortunately the wind went to 3 knots at landing because otherwise I couldn't have landed, I think.

I'll check tomorrow the next target, which lies probably south from Vancouver. Some pics from the trip to Bella Bella are annexed.

Bella Bella at night.BMP

Storm on the other.BMP

Sunny on one side.BMP

So I left Bella Bella at dawn and took direction to the south. My guess of the next stop being south from Vancouver was not wrong, though, I got a lot further away than I thought. I stopped at Yuba Co (KMYV) for fuel and then continued to San Francisco Intl (KSFO). So I arrived at San Francisco very early and now I have to spend some time here by sightseeing the town. Any proposals where to go?
I'm happy that for the first time during this event, I really had time to fly and my arrival was not on the last minute.

Taxiing in KSFO.BMP

Frisco Bay.BMP

Yuba Co.BMP

• 4 weeks later...

Again, I have missed my diary update, this time in New York. So I think it's better to call it a day for this trip. I'll continue to London on my own pace. It's been a pleasure to participate. I'll try to pay more attentino to the diary updates on the next community event. I hope that everybody has have as much fun as I have and I hope to see you flying also next time. Over and out.

Keflavik approach.BMP

Greenland.BMP

Archived