Helikopeter - ERJ175

helikopeter

Hello everyone!

After finishing two long, intensive and interesting journeys - reading through the unreleased CRJ and A330 topics here - I have to keep up the excitement. I have chosen the modern aircraft class for this event because I feel safer in them, but I really look forward to follow all your diaries who will fly classic aircraft. I will use:

• Feelthere Embraer ERJ-175 as my main aircraft,
  • Carenado CSA Sportcruiser for shorter VFR hops,
  • Dino Cattaneo's F-35 or T-45 if I'm in the mood or want to save time. Or if I can think of a silly background story for a destination.

Here's my route. My goal was to find airports no more than 1000 nm apart, and the average distance should be around 500 nm. I don't like to sit more than 2 hours in front of the computer for one flight. If you click on the map, my Google Table will pop up with a more detailed itinerary. Feel free to copy this table for your own use if you find it practical! 

EGLC    LONDON
LOWI    Innsbruck
LHPR    Győr-Pér (I work here, I made a scenery for it)
LHPA    Pápa (my hometown)
LHSM    Sármellék
LGSK    Skiathos 
HEPS    SUEZ (Port Said)
HEGN    Hurghada
OEJN    Jeddah
OERK    Riyadh
OMDB    Dubai
OPKC    Karachi
VABB    BOMBAY
VERP    Raipur
VECC    CALCUTTA
VVNB    Hanoi
VHHX    HONG KONG
ZSPD    Shanghai
ZKPY    Phenjan
RKSS    Seoul
RJTT    YOKOHAMA (Tokyo)
RJCO    Sapporo
UHSS    Yuzhno
UHMM    Magadan
UHMA    Anadyr
PAOM    Nome
PANC    Anchorage
PAYA    Yakutat
CYVR    Vancouver
KPAE    Everett
KPDX    Portland
KSFO    SAN FRANCISCO
KLAS    Las Vegas
KDEN    Denver
KORD    Chicago
KLGA    NEW YORK
CYQB    Quebec
CYVP    Kuujjuaq
CYFB    Iqaluit
BGGH    Nuuk
BIKF    Rejkjavik
EIDW    Dublin
EGLC    LONDON

I look forward starting the event, all what's left is a quick reinstall of my computer and to find some sceneries for the flight. And maybe also custom liveries for the aircraft.

Peter

Good evening from Innsbruck, my first stop!

The painting of the ERJ-175 was finished over the weekend, but I've spent my day with preparations so I haven't seen it in sunlight yet. Passpartout says it's very nice, and seeing the tail with the logo light on, I believe him. We'll see tomorrow!

Please login to display this image.

I chose the registration HA-DUR: this was originally on Miklós Horthy's (Regent of the Kingdom of Hungary 1920-1944) Ju-52 and "hadúr" means warlord. We have a lot of funny Hungarian registrations (HA-MAR: quickly, HA-VAS: snowy etc.) but this was closest to me. 

It's been a while since I've flown the ERJ so I need some re-learning but everything went fine so far. The route was the following using AIRAC cycle 0610 (I know, don't laugh :) ):

EGLC SID DVR UL9 KONAN UL607 KOK (hmm, that sounds familiar...) UM150 TGO UL607 ALGOI STAR LOWI

Me, Passpartout and our crew of 13 took off at 20:22 from London City Airport runway 28 and turned immediately towards the channel and climbed to FL360. Fuel was the minimum needed + 60 minutes reserve since both EGLC and LOWI have shorter runways. We had a very nice tailwind of around 70 knots so we already managed to be ahead 30 minutes of the schedule on this uneventful night flight. From joining the downwind leg of runway 26 the landing was all manual. Flight time: 01:19, distance: around 1050 km. Details with proof here.

The "beautiful" view of London after take-off

Climbing over the channel

Over the valley of Innsbruck with RWY 26 in sight

Next leg: Innsbruck - Győr-Pér, tomorrow.

Just a quick post after arriving to Győr-Pér Airport, Hungary: the aircraft does look really nice, and Passpartout was kind enough to make me flag stickers for every county we land in! I already put on UK and Austria next to the door. I've got some EASA stuff to do at the aiport, but I will tell you about the trip from Innsbruck in the evening.

So, the trip from Innsbruck LOWI to Győr-Pér LHPR!

The weather was damp in the valley, actually it started raining just after we've got into the cockpit. Takeoff was to the west on runway 26, followed by a tight climbing turn to east. In just a few minutes, we were over the hills and the low clouds between them. Instead of flying over the Alps though, the route took us north of the hills, towards Wien, then Lake Fertő and finally the GYR VOR close to the airport. The route:

LOWI SID RTT Q101 LIMRA UL725 SNU Q110 KUNET DCT GYR LHPR

Rainy take-off

High performance climb - easy with only 15 souls onboard

Leaving the valley towards RTT

The flat city of Vienna through the clouds

The approach to Győr-Pér was a DME arc one which I messed up (turned in early) but in the end I could correct on the first try and land safely to my workplace of 1 year.

It is Hungary's 3rd most busy airport, but to tell the truth, Budapest has 98% of all traffic followed by Debrecen and Győr-Pér. We have two non-public flights every weekday from Ingolstadt for Audi workers to the factory in the city; a lot of general aviation and fortunately quite a lot of ad-hoc cargo aswell. We can handle all aircraft up to the A320fam or B737s but the infrastructure is most comfortable for mid-size turboprop aircraft (mostly Dornier 328 and 228, Saab 340, Twin Otters etc.). What we 'lack' in size, get back in experience - I love that I can talk to most crews and sometimes sit in their planes (An-12 and a Superjet 100 are my best memories so far). There is also a startup company called Trustair that uses the airport as a base with Piper Cheyenne IIIs for emergency and medical flights. We are really proud of them because they help people on a difficult market and they are getting stronger and more known in the region. They are constantly "on the road" through Europe. Really looking forward for the Carenado Cheyenne because of this.

The airport has a CAT I ILS on RWY30, two aprons for traffic and one mechanical apron for GA aircraft in the hangar. There is a really beautiful payware scenery but unfortunately it models the airport before an infrastructure upgrade in 2013 with shorter runway, only one apron and without ILS, so I made my own silly but correct scenery in ADEX. I recommend though the payware one, you will see some of their freeware work later on my trip.

For those interested, you can find some photos from the airport on my Flickr.

Turning away from RWY12 until 14 DME from GYR for the turn to RWY 30

Only 30 meters wide, but enough for the ERJ175. We've seen an AN-12 turn around on it...

This small turnpad was the end of the runway until a lengthening in 2013. The runway is now 2030 meters long. 

Taxiing to APRON 1, although APRON 3 to the right should be used for an aircraft this size. 

Later this week I will continue the trip with a CZAW Sportcruiser in Hungary to visit my family in Pápa and then spend time at Lake Balaton with some wine tasting.

Before hopping in the Sportcruiser to leave Pér, I'd like to show you this Piper Malibu (D-EXRE) that I caught at the airport last summer that actually flew around the world in real life. Their route was taped to one of the windows, I got some inspiration from it and will fly to some airports especially from Russia to Alaska.

So, out comes the Sportcruiser from the hangar, we won't need the Embraer for this short flight to Pápa, my hometown.

Silly recreation of one of my shots, where double sized Piper Cubs act as An-2s in the background.

Getting some fuel and then waiting while Passpartout files the flight plan in the tower.

Good bye Pér!

The flight was VFR, without any points between, took 35 minutes though I did a touch and go before landing. Cruise was at 3000 ft and 90 knots. 

Pápa is a military air base and after landing unfortunately they had me delete all the printscreens I took (and definitely not because I used an FS9 scenery that was messed up). Formerly a MiG-21 and MiG-23 squadron was stationed at the airbase but now it acts as the station for the NATO Heavy Airlift Wing with three C-17s. It's amazing to see my town's name on the tail of them. It's also amazing to search them on Airliners.net and see photos from all around the world - mostly they fly military operations, sometimes aid at natural catastrophes or other events. 

Welcome Pápa! The closest print screen I dare to upload :)

C-17 number 1 and all the MiGs rotting on a field next to the airbase.

Next stop: LHSM Sármellék near Lake Balaton.

Keeping up with writing my diary seems to be more difficult than flying the legs, but I have some time now to catch up :) 

I took off from Pápa the next evening in the Sportcruiser again. Strangely the scenery seemed okay this time. It was an uneventful trimmed flight at 5000 ft with some crosswind but LHSM has a runway with a width of 45 meters so not a real challange with an ultralight. Actually with a stall speed of 31 knots, landing and stopping is possible under 200 meters so I could leave the runway on the first taxiway after landing. The flight took 35 minutes for a distance of 43 nautical miles.

Lake Balaton in the distance. You can see the position of the airport on the next photo on the GPS screen.

LHSM short final with the ILS LOC tuned in for awareness

I really like the Sportcruiser for short VFR flights because it looks great, it is easy to handle and you still have the GPS and a HSI for practicing simple procedures. For 10 euros on a steam sale, it was very much worth it. The scenery is freeware, more photos in the next post but back in the Embraer. 

Next leg: LHSM Sármellék - LGSK Skiathos!

It was time to leave my home country for Greece. This has been the most fun leg so far.

Sármellék was a soviet military airport like LHPA, but it has been opened for public international flights which are seasonal or charter flights. The infrastructure is a bit old but the size is adequate for large aircraft (well, not all the taxiways, so backtrack may be needed just like in my case). The most common aircraft are turboprops though.

I really wanted to check out Lake Balaton from higher above (and in daytime) so after takeoff I did a little detour while climbing. Balaton is the largest lake in Central Europe (77 km long!) with a mountainous north region with great wines and a flat south region with some popular resorts. It's a great tourist spot all year long for us Hungarians but a lot of people arrive from neighbouring countries too. A lot of them have holiday houses in the major cities around the lake. There are great beaches to go to in the summer but it is also possible to ice skate close to the shores during winter. 

Reaching the middle of the lake, I turned to the south and joined my flight plan with the following route:

LHSM SID SUNOR Y586 BABIT N739 BEO M749 GONAR UN128 RAXAD UL617 TSL UN137 LEKPO B1 BAMOS DCT LGSK 

I quit the country to Serbia right at the meeting of the Hungarian, Croatian and Serbian borders and then flew above Macedonia and Greece. I had some really great views thanks to the clouds and water textures of REX.

Unfortunately I can't really use (highly detalied) sceneries because somehow the ERJ eats up around 10-15 fps when I move my joystick (sometimes landings can get quite messy because of this). 

Approaching Skiathos ("the Greek St. Maarten") I was a bit too fast so I decided to do a low pass above the runway and the beach at the end of it (unfortunately I had to use the "more boring" direction to land). With a quick circle I set up a stable second approach with the appropriate speeds and landed at the last destination before concluding the first part of the round the world trip.

Next destination: the fifth country to land in, and the end of part one, Port Suez!

The flight to Port Suez from Skiathos was even prettier than the flight to Skaithos thanks to the now shining sun and the popping blues of the sea around the islands. Take-off was from the beach so with the fence-riders in mind I stepped on the brakes and applied full thrust for a while. It was a good choice too because I reached Vr quite close to the other end (but I paid for the whole runway as they say...). The route was: 

LGSK SID DILOP B1 ATV L995 KEA N132 KUMBI G400 BLT DCT HEPS

The flight was uneventful. Flight time was 1:40 with a cruise height of FL400. VFR approach and landing.

And with arriving to Egypt, part 1 has been completed. Looking forward for the following destinations because I have never really flown outside of Europe (both in the sim and IRL).  The summary of part 1:

Total distance so far: 2 261 nm

Total time so far: 6 hrs 18 min

The first stop from Port Suez was Hurghada, HEGN. Turned out to be a cursed route (I hope the one and only)...

I departed on oct 10 as in the rules book but during cruise I had an overspeed damage 'game over' thanks to the wind gusts at high cruise speed. I always followed the "max cruise speed" fmc setting to save sime time but to be honest I didn't really fly with real weather before this event. So from now on I will always choose "long range cruise" speed setting and then adjust manually if able or needed. Lesson learned. 

The next day I flew the route again only to find out at the end that the freeware scenery is messed up: the original airport wasn't removed and the runway length, landing zones and PAPIs didn't match up. This was my mistake too since I check every scenery after installing but I thought they are just other runways :) Altough the flight was successful, I didn't like the feeling and photos so I flew it again today on oct 16. Finally, everything went OK.

The route: HEPS DCT SISIK V603 GIDID DCT HEGN

Next stop: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. 

The view of the terminal during takeoff roll

REX at its best

Joining the route

Cutting corners with a direct from ATC

ILS approach RWY34 short final at HEGN

I have spent the last few legs with experimenting with my settings, unfortunately the ERJ was becoming impossible to handfly in bigger airports due to some framerate drops while moving the controller. I turned off AA, lowered the resolution etc. but nothing helped. I tried to check the task manager, and it turns out windows defender gets a spike when I try to control the ERJ even with the mouse yoke. May be some custom code Feelthere is using because nothing else produces this. Turning off the real time protection seems to have solved the case (even FSX starts a lot quicker), and being such an old model, I can still set decent graphic settings on my old pc. I'm really happy about it because I like the E-jets but couldn't enjoy them to the max before. I'll try to review it during the journey, it's an interesting mix of Airbus and Boeing ideas.

So, leg 8 was from Hurghada to Jeddah. Flight time 1:05 with a nice sunrise. Spent a lot of time on taxiing too, ugh. 

HEGN DCT SILKA B418 WEJ UA411 SABRI DCT OEJN

I continued my journey the next day to Riyadh. Same uneventful flight, yellow sand below me and blue sky above me. Landed just before sunset with a flight time of 1:25.

OEJN SID ISLAM V40 TIF V43 DFN M628 UMRAN V33 KIA DCT OERK

From Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, I headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. I wanted to include Dubai International Airport in the journey as a tribute to Emirates and its fleet. Even though I don't have the scenery to show the A380s and 777s, it was nice to land there and feel the size of the airport. There is not much of the city in stock FSX so I didn't do a sightseeing. The flight took 1:20 at FL380. The sun went down during the flight, it was already dark in Dubai when I landed. REX generated a really nice lighting effect for the runway lights, didn't see this one before, I almost messed up a landing because I was focused on them. 

OERK SID AKRAM B418 KFA R219 TUGOS A791 DESDI STAR OMDB

My last destination before Mumbai was Karachi, Pakistan. I think - hopefully - this was the last leg with so much sand below me :) nice color but so boring. I flew on FL400 because this was a longer leg, my longest so far with almost 700 nm. The route:

OMDB SID MAXMO A419 SHJ A791 LOTAT STAR OPKC

Leaving Dubai, some skyscrapers in the background

Mountains or sand dunes near the Gulf of Oman

The number of the flags is constantly growing

Low cloud base at Karachi while on downwind leg

Visibility was OK once under the clouds. Some discrepancy between the PAPI (too high) and the ILS (too low) though.

View from the terminal in Karachi

I decided to fly the last leg of part 2 before the weekend as I won't be near my computer till the deadline. The weather was nice in Karachi but the closer I got to Mumbai the more the clouds and fog I encountered. Approach was in IMC down until 150 ft RA but I let the autoland handle it all the way to touchdown. Flight time was 1:28, cruise at FL360. Route:

OPKC SID MINAR M638 EXOLU DCT VABB

A Dash Q200 landing just as I start take-off roll

Clouds starting to creep in from the front

Sea of clouds

Downwind leg totally blind

Short final, autoland armed

A real printed LIDO chart I happen to have of the Middle East

And that concludes part 2. Details (click for google docs):

The originally planned destination from Bombay/Mumbai was Raipur, but in FSX it was just a runway and I didn't find any scenery to it. There was also some confusion about its ICAO codes, seems as they have changed it from VARP to VERP so it was easier to just find a new location. I chose Nagpur which "lies precisely at the center of India with the Zero Mile Marker indicating the geographical center of India". This resulted in a shorter leg than planned, so it was only at FL340 and took 1:10. It was enough to arrive in the dark though. The route was:

VABB SID AAU G450 TAMID DCT VANP

Busy day at Mumbai

And a cloudy day too

The golden light of the setting sun

Short final to Nagpur

As I started steam to fly the second and already last leg of part 3, I got the notification that the REX Texture Direct Enhanced Edition update has finally arrived. I can see the new textures but to be honest I can't tell the difference from the older ones as to me they already looked really great. So I quickly generated a theme to Calcutta's weather and jumped in the cockpit of the ERJ. This was the first time that I had to do an IFR plan in FSX to take off because of the visibility (I don't rely on FSX ATC but I alwas use it to find out the active runways in use). The controlling was actually fun and it was great to set up the approach because lately I didn't have any STARs to use to my destinations.

The flight took 1:23 at FL380. The route: VANP DCT DOSAT G450 JJS DCT VECC

And that concludes part 3. Next destination: Hanoi, Vietnam!

• 2 weeks later...

Starting part 4, I flew Calcutta - Hanoi on 10.26. and I should have written the diary post soon after because I don't remember anything now :) That is also because the next leg was to Hong Kong and I was really looking forward to do the IGS approach to Kai Tak. My logbook says this leg was the longest so far with 2:25 hours and 1043 nm at FL400. Route was:

VECC SID SUMAG B465 MC STAR VVNB

Busy day in Calcutta

Leaving VECC

Cloudy sunset

Mountains in Vietnam

The night lights of Hanoi and VVNB

It was finally time for leg 16 to Hong Kong. Although now closed and destroyed, it was obvious that I had to do the infamous checkerboard approach to Kai Tak. First I wanted to land there as a stop but rfinder and my Embraer didn't have VHHX in their databases, so I decided to just do a touch and go and then land at VHHH. I cheated a bit: since we had some time from the previous leg, I flew the approach many times with different aircraft to learn it and be confident for the real tour. 

From Hanoi I flew at FL340. It took 1:25. The route was: VVNB TEBAK GYA POU TAMOT VHHX TD VHHH

Black and white departure from Hanoi

Macau with rivers like snakes

The localizer of the Kai Tak instrument guidance system lines up with the new airport, VHHH. From waypoint TAMOT, I continued direct towards the airport and let the autopilot capture the IGS LOC (to the left). 

The cloud base was low but once the glide plath took me under it, visibility was great so I continued the approach while gradually slowing down to 125 knots. I turned off the autopilot at the outer marker.

You have to get quite close to the checkerboard before turning towards the runway. The turn is at the middle marker and the lead in lights also help a lot. There was a big crosswind from the right that I needed to compensate and I got out from the turn a little high, but since the ERJ is not a large aircraft there was room to play and correct small mistakes.

After a gentle touchdown I applied goaround thrust and rocketed to 6000 ft for the TD transition approach to VHHH runway 25R. For this I had to turn left and circle back above the city instead of the bay transition that would lead for the opposite runways (07L/R). 

Circling back to VHHX, I had to clear the mountains and then turn left again and descend to land at VHHH.

Parked proudly at a gate with the tower in the backround. Great success, great fun. 

And with that part 4 is completed. Next stop: Shanghai.

I took off from Hong Kong a few days later in the sunrise and reached Shanghai in 1:42 flying 756 nm. Uneventful flight other than that I turned from downwind leg too soon and I was too high on final. Fortunately the runway was long enough to stop even with toucing down long after the landing zone. The route was:

VHHH SID BEKOL A461 SHL G471 KOW A599 SX STAR ZSPD

I wanted to include North Korea in the world trip as I find it a strange place to exist in our time. And what a fortunate event that I did! After taxiing to the gates, I saw a military jet that looked like an F35. I could not believe my eyes so I asked Passpartout to distract the ramp personnel while I checked it out from closer and indeed it was a Lightning - or just a replica. I waved Passpartout our secret emergency hand signal so he knew I wanted to leave immediately - me in the F35, him in the ERJ. I hid in the cockpit and examined the instruments until he taxied back to the runway and took off - after that, it was time for me to leave. This seemed like the conventional type of the F35 so I couldn't take off vertically. Which is good, because that would mean an easy target for anti-air. Instead I just chose the closest taxiway and took off on that with full afterburner. It handled very well, although a bit sensitive. First I rushed through Phongyang at a low altitude to wake up everyone then I climbed to 50000 feet in less then a minute. The view was spectacular, but the HUD started acting up so I guess this was just a copied or 3d printed jet after all. I started to glide towards Seoul with idle power because fuel was only 15% at this point but I reached the airport safe and sound, just like Passpartout did. I left the jet for the South Korean personnel to do whatever they want with it - it was fun but I like the ERJ better. 

Route: ZSPD SID AKARA A326 SANKO B332 BODOK STAR ZKPY DCT RKSS

• 2 weeks later...

From Seoul I headed to Tokyo, Japan, Haneda Airport. We drank some kid champagne with Passpartout in the cockpit because this was the 20th leg, and at the same time we reached 10,000 nm and 24:00 flight hours in the journey. It started off a bit cloudy but pretty above South-Korea, but after reaching the Japan islands it cleared up so that I could be surprised how mountainous the Tokyo region really is. The flight took 1:30 at FL400. Route:

RKSS SID ENKAS G597 XAC V17 SPENS Y211 WESTN STAR RJTT

Lot of traffic in Seoul. Started from the bottom, now I am above all of them!

Cloudy views

Mount Fuji and its region 

Some skyscrapers and the red radio tower in Tokyo Downtown

Crosswind during landing

And with this, Part 5 is completed!

After spending some time searching after Japanese airports, I realised that they seem to have some sample blueprint for smaller regional airports. I really like this idea, and also some of them have full yellow markings which is also interesting. I wanted to fly to a small island in the northeast of Honshu but the scenery didn't work so in the end I chose to fly to Nakashibetsu in Hokkaido. I had to fly it three times because of some crashes but finally I managed to land safely and taxi to the apron with the strange lead-in lines. I think I messed up parking because the next time when I got back from the hotel, the ERJ was moved a bit. The flight took 1:20 at FL340. Route:

RJTT SID SNE Y11 NZE V11 YTE V36 HPE V34 MQE V35 KSE V2 MASHU DCT RJCN

The view after take-off and in cruise

Before the procedure turn and on short final in light rain

Where is the marshaller when you need one?

After two Japanese destinations, three Russian airports followed. The first of them was in Yuzhno, in pitch dark up until approach. It was a short and uneventful flight of 45 minutes at FL300. Route:

RJCN SID NSE 3E40 TBE V7 AWE B337 ANIMO R446 ODEKO STAR UHSS

Taxiing after pushback at Nakashibetsu

Line up with the runway

Gears down and locked, Moon in transition

The lack of PAPI lights disturbed me a bit but I landed safely

My second Russian destination was Magadan. I took off in a beautiful sunrise joined by the Moon. Cruise was uneventful other than a strange bug in FSX which never occured before: the screen went all black but the menus showed and the sound also marked that it was running somehow in the background. Fortunately I could save and load back immediately above the Okhotsk Sea. Approaching Magadan, it was very cloudy between the hills but I wanted to try to land visually because I could see the airport from above. As soon as I started to turn for line up and descent, the fog got much thicker and I had to go around. The wind was calm so I tried the ILS approach from the opposite direction but there was another traffic that I had to wait for with a circle. After that, I captured the localizer, performed an autoland and parked next to some Antonovs. The flight took 2:18 at FL400. Route:

UHSS SID LIKON B223 UHSK B233 ODORA G806 BA STAR UHMM

The third and last Russian destination took me so far east you could say it's almost already west! Takeoff was in the same conditions as landing the day before, but once above the clouds, I got a great view of the snowy steppes. Interestingly, the route consisted of just a few waypoints, and because of that (I think, and maybe my northly position too) the lines on the navigation display showed curvy. Never seen that before. Landing was easier this time but it got dark when I arrived to Anadyr. The flight took 2:00 at FL400. Route:

UHMM G370 TA B337 UHMG G212 UHMA

Now comes the big US and A!

I left Asia on 28th of November, my first North American destination was Unalakleet. The original plan was Nome but the stock airport was boring and I couldn't find  a nice freeware. I took off in a heavy crosswind from Anadyr and headed straigth to and above the Bering sea. The flight took 1:38 at FL400 with not much too see up until I reached the small village in Alaska with a population of around 700 and a 45 m wide runway - strange combination. The route was direct with FSX IFR because PAUN wasn't in the ERJ's FMS database (it was actually as I arrived close enough to see it on the ND but as PANK).

Archived