Twin Otter ground friction.

DarrenHowie

G'day,

I am finding there is large amounts of breakaway power being needed to get the Twotter moving and continuing to move.

Is there anything i can adjust to fix this situation in the cfg?

I have seen one or two posts about it so dont believe it is happening to everyone.

Any ideas?

thanks

Darren Howie

Hi,

It's not only ground friction influencing the taxi operation. Take care for the wind. Make an experiment and taxi in wind direction and against it. You will see a big difference.

Rgds

Reinhard

• 3 weeks later...

Ground friction is not something Yu "Just" can tweak, since it´s hardcoded in bothe FSX and P3D.

With P3D V4.1 there has been some fixes to the ground behaviour, but I have not tested what influence this has on the Twin Otter.

If You have a registrated version of FSUIPC, thn there are some entries in it´s ini file that can tweak ground friction.

Personally I would not keep away from an addon just because this 2 second of excessive requirement of power to break free, also because most other addons doesn´t behave right either.

With FSX/P3D turboprops this is somewhat more exaggregated, due to the slow spool up time.

next time try to give less power and be patient to see the power actually build up and get the aircraft start rolling.

FinnJ

Hi Finnj,

The problem is that the power you need to break away ie start moving is quite large, then even ifyou only reduce the power a little the aircraft comes to a stop rapidly.

in short if you leave the power at the breakaway setting the aurcraft rapidly accelerates to very high speed, if you reduce it only a little it rapidly stops.

There is no happy middle ground you either find yourself stopping or rapidly accelerating.

it becomes very frustrating very rapidly to the point you just give up as the power on the ground is totally broken compared to any of my other turboprops. This is sad as it is a brilliant Twotter in every other respect in every other way.

in its current state it doesnt get used im sorry and im at a loss as to why this is the only aircraft which has this very prominent issue.

Thanks for the response but it sounds like it wont be fixed and will remain parked in my hangar unused.

cheers

Darren

It doesn't seem that bad to me. Yes, it needs big bursts of power to break away but my experience is it continues to taxi even with the power reduced to idle. This is on runway and taxiway surfaces - other surfaces are a different matter.

• Aerosoft

While we were doing this project I discussed that with a pilot of the Twin Otter. I asked him how much throttle was needed to make it move. 

Basically he said that when the aircraft had been standing for some time in cold weather the tires would have large flat spots (they are relative low pressure) and you would need serious power to start moving. When fully loaded even close to full power to avoid a very slow creep. 

22 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

While we were doing this project I discussed that with a pilot of the Twin Otter. I asked him how much throttle was needed to make it move. 

Basically he said that when the aircraft had been standing for some time in cold weather the tires would have large flat spots (they are relative low pressure) and you would need serious power to start moving. When fully loaded even close to full power to avoid a very slow creep. 

Hi Mathijs thanks for the input.

If we are talking about cold weather ops id fully agree but this issue is happening anywhere ie Sint Maarten. New Guinea etc.

The issue is in V3 the ground handling is perfect in V4 is where the issue lies.

If the ground handling was meant to be that way ie sticky needing gross amounts of power etc surely the power needed for breakaway thrust would be the same in both V3 and V4?

Something happened to the Twotter in V4 with the ground friction etc that drastically altered it from V3 needing large amounts of power etc that where never needed in V3.

Square wheel in cold weather ops is a well known trait but it doesnt happen in the tropics nor in temperate areas.

Hope to see it fixed in the future if you do a payware update with new features as right now there is no turboprop I have ever flown, been a passenger in exhibit the issues only seen in the V4 version of the Twin Otter.

Cheers

Darren

I'd agree, in v4.1 when running down the runway it seems its almost stuck to the runway and then leaps off tarmac almost uncontrollable in pitch up. It was 'ok' in v4 but v4.1 it's a different beast in my experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is a problem I often complained about.

I like the twin otter, but I DISLIKE this friction behavior very much.

Aerosoft, while so many people complain about that (not only in this tread), can't you please do us the favor and change it? It can't be so much effort!

It disreagards, if this is like in real or not. But its simply terrible and very annoying. No other aircraft taxy's so terrible, than the twin otter!

Mathijas or some other Aerosoft person, show me please a video, where you are taxiing the Twinotter in Lukla from the runway to a parking spot.

This is simply impossible, because a sensitive taxiing isn't possible.

Or, if you dont like to change that, please tell me, in which config-file or .air file I personally can change that for myself!

Archived