VSM Diary

VSM

Love seeing all the old birds joining the event. I, however lame it may be, must stay true to my nature and will fly the routes with a CX 777-300ER. Fresh from the shop with a special livery to commemorate the event.

Callsign: Cathay 80

Aircraft: B777-367ER

Sim: P3Dv4

Please login to display this image.

Complete Route:

EGLL - HEPS

DVR6K DVR UL9 KONAN UL607 REMBA DCT LIRSU UZ210 KRH UQ310 NIPEL DCT ROLBA UY177 DOBOT UL603 RUGAS UN128 FSK UG18 MES UL609 RDS UL995 KAROL W11 LAKTO J863 PSD

HEPS - VABB

PSD V602 ISMLH DCT NWB DCT HFR DCT KFA DCT DOH UN300 NAMLA N300 BOXAK N685 LAKLU G216 MCT T503 TUMET L555 TOTOX P574 BISET KETO1A

VABB - VECC

ALBA1B AAU G450 JJS JATEN

VECC - VHHH

BASAT AVPOP L507 TEBOV DCT CANTO CANT2A

VHHH - RJTT

RASS3A RASSE V3 CONGA V2 ELATO DCT APU G587 LEKOS M750 MADOG Y753 JAKAL A1 KEC DCT XAC Y233 PQE Y108 KAIHO DARKS

RJTT - KSFO

PLUTO1 SYE Y11 JD Y88 GOC OTR3 PUTER A590 POXED DCT AGEDI DCT CUTEE G344 CARTO DCT N50 00 E180 00 N50 00 W170 00 N49 00 W160 00 N48 00 W150 00 N46 00 W140 00 N42 00 W130 00 DCT UNVER DCT REDWD DCT AMAKR DCT PYE GOLDN6

KSFO - KJFK

SHOR3 LIN J84 EKR DCT GLL DCT OBH DCT IOW DCT GIJ DCT DORET J190 SLT DCT LVZ LENDY6

KJFK - EGLL

MERIT3 PUT DCT ALLEX N126B YQX DCT KOBEV DCT N50 00 W050 00 N52 00 W040 00 N53 00 W030 00 DCT MALOT DCT GISTI DCT SLANY UL9 STU UP2 OKESI Y3 BEDEK OCK2F

See you all out there. Happy landings!

Regards,

Vincent

Just arrived in EGLL from foggy EHAM this morning to await the commencement of the event and complete final preparations.

EHAM Departure

Approach into EGLL

Landing in EGLL

Only just managed to depart EGLL for HEPS. Have been busy at work and flight training. Departed about 30mins ago with only 3 pax and the required (plus reserves) fuel for the leg. Now on the climb to 37,000ft and expect and ETE of about 5 hours. Luckily I'm flying a 777, so should be able to catch up fairly quickly...as long as nothing unexpected happens... :D

Just after pushback at EGLL

Take-off from EGLL

Climb out

Alrighty! Just landed to HEPS; I'm all caught up again. The 2 male (includes me) and 2 female-strong flight crew are now on our shuttle toward our hotel for the next few days, while our 3 VIP's head off on their exploration mission and will meet us back at the airport for the next flight. With that, I say goodnight to you all, and to those on their way here, may the winds be in your favor!

Route update:

Company has requested that we have a stop-over in Dubai and take on additional passengers and ferry them to Mumbai (Bombay) with us. At the moment we will rest at OMDB for 2 days before continuing to VABB, but have been advised that this may change to just 1 day depending on slot time and passenger capacity.

The new route is being built up as we speak and should be in our hands (and by extension: in this topic) by 1700UTC. 

We will keep you updated as we go.

Updated Route:

Got the new flight plan from base, and will have a sit down with the flight crew and discuss the details of the flight(s) as well as duties (who's doing what and when) over a nice evening tea/coffee at a local cafe by the Great Pyramids. Have a pleasant evening everyone! :) 

HEPS - OMDB

PSD V602 ISMLH DCT NWB DCT HFR DCT KFA DCT DESDI DESD6A

ETD: 10:00UTC

ETA: 13:20UTC

EET: 03:20

OMDB - VABB

RIKE4F RIKET M428 MUNGA A777 VAXIM P307 SETSI N881 RASKI L301 NOBAT L505 BIDIX POKO1B

ETD: 09:20UTC

ETA: 12:10UTC

EET: 02:50

Now arrived in Dubai for a short stopover until we continue on to Mumbai (Bombay). Stunning late-afternoon arrival into the city within the sands. Departure from HEPS was uneventful, the only notable thing was the short amount of time it took to reach Vr - this was due to how little fuel we had onboard for the flight and with only 3 pax and 4 crew members, this was ideal for the short runway at HEPS.

We are expecting a departure later on today, but if it is moved to a later date (tomorrow), we, as well as all our additional passengers that we're taking onboard have been promised accommodation in an exquisite hotel here in Dubai. We'll keep you updated as we receive information.

V1...Rotate...

Positive rate...Gear Up. Good bye Egypt aaaaand...

Helloooo Dubai!

Arrived at Gate F17. Unloading a couple of our containers and having the aircraft prepped for tonight's late-night departure. 

Hi everyone, relief crew Ena and Perran here for the flight update:

We departed OMDB about 40 minutes ago and are cruising through 37,000ft with the sun starting to make its first appearance for the day. Everything is going well - weather is fair, winds (at altitude) are nothing from the ordinary, and we are expecting to have an on-time arrival to VABB in just under 2 hours. The rest of the crew, as well as most of our passengers, are catching a few blinks and will join us in the cockpit for the arrival as the pilot's monitoring (PM's) in the 2 jumpseats. 

Catering services underway.

Waiting for the cargo containers to arrive while passengers are boarding - all 339 of them.

Lining up RWY 30L

Jumpseat view.

We hope everyone has been having great journey's so far! See you all in Mumbai/Bombay! :)

And we are now safely in the shuttle bus on our way to our hotel for a nap and a dip in the pool before heading out to explore Mumbai. The shuttle bus driver has recommended some great places to eat and some fun things to do during our stay. Now for a nice cold glass of lemonade and then to sleep. I hope there's good air con in our rooms... :D 

Closing in on VABB.

Descent 

\

Some spoiler action to help manage our speed.

Unloading in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone! We are now on board our beautiful bird that will take us to Kolkata (VECC). Vanessa is just setting up the FMC and preparing the flight while our VIP's sit at the gate for a few more minutes. Vincent just left to do the walk-around and Perran and is still inside the terminal mingling with our guests of honor. I'll be updating you as we go on this flight. Hope you all have had a great journey so far. Time to go make tonight's music playlist - it's my turn today! B)

And we're off! Climbing to our cruising altitude of 39,000ft, and expecting a generally smooth flight - slightly under an hour and a half still. We took off into a foggy night, but as we climbed on we punched through the fog and have very good visibility from up here. 

A quick snack now and then an episode of The Handmaid's Tale or Rick and Morty before we start descending again :D

We've arrived now safe and sound to Kolkata and have been instructed to park at a 'special' stand since the airport lacked a gate that could handle an aircraft of this size. Uneventful flight - if you leave out what happened in The Handmaid's Tale...damn...(don't worry, won't spoil it any further). Next, we'll be heading off to our hotel and will do some exploring of Kolkata tomorrow.

Good night everyone, and safe trips!

Ena out.

Cruising high over northern India

The city of Kolkata below

Onto final RWY 01R

Thank you so much kalizzi! I really appreciate your kind words. I'll get some more night shots for you then, either arriving to VHHH or departing VHHH. 

Have a great day/night, and a wonderful Around The World trip! :)

Best regards,

VSM

Awwwwwrighty! On our way to the aircraft again and have wonderful memories of Kolkata that we leave behind today. Our flight today will be commanded by Perran, while Ena will act as the co-pilot (not sure who will be PF and who will be PM). I've been tasked with updating you on our trip and will do so as well as I can. We should be arriving at the airport shortly, after which we'll do some last-minute souvenir shopping and sit down for a coffee as a team and start heading off to the gate. I will be sure to keep you posted as we go.

Pleasant evening everyone!

Vincent

Ok, quick update:

Thanks to the great spotting work of our push-back ground crew who were able to notice a small but noticeable amount of fuel leaking from our starboard engine, we avoided a potentially dangerous situation. We have been brought back to the gate and are awaiting news from the ground team on how serious the problem is. Visibility is decreasing constantly and we've all but missed our departure slot, so we'll see if departure will even happen anymore today (good thing we're not a scheduled passenger service huh?). We will be coordinating with ATC to try and get a new slot once we get news on the leakage. Will keep you updated.

Hello hello! Good news and bad news.

Good news is: the problem has been rectified and we should be all smiles to go.

The bad news is: we've missed all available arrival slots into Hong Kong for tonight and will have to delay the departure until tomorrow. 

All our preflight planning is set and everyone's looking forward to getting to vibrant and lively Hong Kong, so once we receive news on our next departure, we should be good to go quite quickly. 

I hope everyone else is having a good time and smooth flights/sailing. I'll be sure to inform you of our departure tomorrow as we get the info.

Until then, good night everyone!

Blue skies and favorable winds!

Regards,

Vincent

Good afternoon everyone! It's been a busy day so far, but we are finally back on course. We had a hectic departure (regardless of how well we had planned the flight last night) which meant 'all hands on deck' so I was busy aiding the team to prep for our flight. But now we are taxiing to the runway (RWY 19R) and should be wheels up in T -3 minutes. Everything looks to be in good working order (apart for the poor visibility) and expect to have another enjoyable flight now to Hong Kong - the home of Cathay Pacific!

I will update you again soon. Happy flying everyone! 

Vincent

Now on the climb to 37,000ft. A small crosswind gust just past Vr but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. Looking great from up here already and am just about to start an episode of 'Band of Brothers'. 

I'll get back to you as we progress.

Ended up watching a couple episodes of 'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver...

ANYWAY, we've commenced our descent into Hong Kong and are coming in on the CANT2A STAR to RWY 07R (VHHH 311530Z 08005KT CAVOK 22/14 Q1019 NOSIG).

Lovely evening and beautiful city to arrive to at night. We were hoping that the 25's were in use so that we could arrive over the city of HK, but for our departure from VHHH onwards to RJTT we have been approved for a special fly-over, so that should be exciting!

Stay tuned as we approach HK! :D

Arrived safe and sound now to HK. Great approach and landing by Ena who was PF this flight and was her first landing since the beginning of this journey. Visibility, weather, and traffic were all in our favor tonight and made the arrival that much easier for us after the major delay at Kolkata.

Now we're on our way to Cathay City, after which we'll take the MTR to Mong Kok for some dinner and Night Market exploring (you can always find something cool there even if you don't buy anything), and then to TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) for the rest of the evening until we head back home to Tung Chung for the night. Great to be back in Hong Kong, where the city's vibrancy exists night and day. Have an awesome evening everyone!

Bon voyage, or should I say: Yīlù shùnfēng! ^_^

PS: The music in the cabin on final if anyone is interested was: 'One' by DEPAPEPE - A wonderful and lively song for a wonderful and lively city!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, been really busy with the real World, so our progress from Hong Kong to Tokyo has been put on hold. I am happy to say now though, that we will be continuing our journey today, and will be back on track once we've arrived in Tokyo. Again, good thing we're in a Triple-7 so that translates into just one 4 and a half hour flight (plus/minus 15mins).

We are just arriving at the airport from our flight briefing at Cathay City, and will head straight to the aircraft. We expect to be engines running within the hour. Vincent and Vanessa will take us out today and are excited about the low flyover over Victoria Harbour that we've been approved to conduct! We'll then continue our climb on up and bank away from the beautiful city. I'll post some pictures and keep you updated on our progress as we go. Hope everyone's having fun!

Cheers,

Perran

Archived