Kalizzi's photo diary

kalizzi

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last segment, Glasgow Prestwick to Shoreham.

Please login to display this image.

21 December 2017, 09:50 taking off from R/W 13 PIK, conditions are good, wind 114 at 2 Kts., visibility 80km, scattered clouds, high pressure with a QNH of 1034, which means good weather to be expected generally.

Airborne from Prestwick, all going well.

Turning towards Glasgow from Prestwick, to have an overflight tribute to this great city.

Climbing abeam Troon on the Clyde estuary, or the Firth of the Clyde.

Glasgow international airport in sight, at Renfrew.

Making a right turn over the Clyde, with the Erskine bridge to my left, to head into downtown Glasgow.

Overhead the Science Centre in Govan and the river Clyde. This is where the shipyard of what is arguably the best ships in the world were built. A Clyde-built ship is the equivalent of a Swiss-made watch. Many famous ships in history rolled out of here, including the beautiful QE2 (now a hotel in Dubai).

The Glasgow skyline with the Clyde and its numerous bridges. At one time Glasgow was the 2nd largest city in the British Empire, after London!

Heading south towards London, at 10:30 I am over Dumfries, a very beautiful town in southern Scotland. It is the resting place of Robert Burns.

10 minutes later, at 10:40 I am abeam Carlisle, in Cumberland (England).

Flying alongside Manchester 11:05

11:10 Over the beautiful village of Marsden in West Yorkshire.

11:20 finds me above the Ladybower reservoir, in the beautiful Peak District, near Sheffield.

11:35 I am over the Robin Hood territory, Nottingham. Its in the UK Midlands and a very scenic place.

Mid-day I am abeam Luton airport, to the north of London, the end of its runway is barely discernible in the picture from the co-pilot's window. 

Minutes later I am flying over the spectacular 66,000 capacity London Stadium that was built for the 2012 London Olympics.

12:15 I am overhead my last waypoint in this journey, the London City airport. You can see the Thames flood gates in the picture.

The Millennium Dome and the high buildings of Canary Wharf are clearly visible in this screenshot.

12:20 Biggin Hill on my 9 O'clock. This is a historical airport and played a major part in the battle of Britain in WW2.

12:25 I am just off the east side of Gatwick, still ploughing south.

Five minutes later I made contact with Shoreham!  full of excitement at the prospect of getting back to my starting point!

12:35 Landed at Shoreham.

Some sight for sore eyes from that cockpit!

Home Sweet Home...  Boy, that was some journey! I dismounted and patted the old girl lovingly, she sure was a worthy mount.

Hi kalizzi, thanks for your comments, likewise to you, great log, great pictures, including one of Biggin Hill where I rocked up yesterday in foggy conditions. Hope you enjoyed the drink.

Good flying, cheers, James

Hey Brother!  I'm glad you made it!!  Though I do wonder why you'd decide to show up so far out of town!!  Here in the Docklands there is at least a pub per 100' of street frontage!  Not 100 yards!  I truly wish you'd have stayed longer!  I'd have offered you more than a pint!  And Lambert and I are still trying to find out where Augistine's long hidden 1845 Vintage Port is.  Hell!  I'm pretty happy with the case of 1958 I bought in Islington in 1986!  

Sue Ling, for obvious reasons.  And I, because I'm buying more than a few rounds, are having a hugely happy time here right in the Docklands right next to EGLC!  Come on up!!  We've been here long enough that people enjoy my southern accent and Sue Ling's attributes!! So we've been hosted for a few drinks as well!

Rupert

Welcome to London!

Now, hop a cab and get to the Reform Club before we drink the place dry!  Who would have though all these adventurers would be such big drinkers!

SeanG

kalizzi, thanks for the wonderful diary. A great pleasure to join you in this venture. And will lift a glass to you at the bar.

(The staff have become more gracious in the last few hours...)

Hi Kalizzi,

As I mentioned earlier, I was really curious about your choice of Shoreham.  It is a beautiful place that I hadn't flown to in quite some time. 

At the risk of being told "We Already Knew That!." I will report how happy I am with the Alan Blencowe rendition of Shoreham!  Boy what a great job and it's FREEWARE!!

Below are three screens I took with this software.

Best Regards!!

Rupert

4 hours ago, rupert said:

Hi Kalizzi,

As I mentioned earlier, I was really curious about your choice of Shoreham.  It is a beautiful place that I hadn't flown to in quite some time. 

At the risk of being told "We Already Knew That!." I will report how happy I am with the Alan Blencowe rendition of Shoreham!  Boy what a great job and it's FREEWARE!!

Below are three screens I took with this software.

Best Regards!!

Rupert

Hi Rupert.

Thank you for the lovely Alan Blencowe software and the beautiful screenshots. I will most definitely download  it and give it a go. I also have another super authentic Shoreham scenery made by Just Flight in their package (Flying Club) . 

Why Shoreham? it has a special place in my heart: As a teenager, I took my first ever flying lesson in Shoreham. I hopped into a blue 1967 Cessna 150 with the registration G-AVAA (Recently G-AVAA was acquired by Doncaster's Aeroventure Museum for museum display!) with my instructor "Ron" and we flew a familiarisation flight, telling me the effects of the controls and how to fly straight and level. I learned to fly in Shoreham before learning to drive.  Propriety of this airport to this adventure? If you start from London, Shoreham is the official airport of the City of Brighton and Hove. Brighton's nickname is "London on sea," a mere 47 miles to the south. Technically it is as good as flying from London, given the tribute I wanted to pay Shoreham.  

Best wishes and cheers. :cheers_s:

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Ah there he is, Sit down ol'chap, let me get you a drink!

Well Mathijs your good health, and many thanks. I reiterate what I said at the beginning of this adventure: the idea is quite original. Thank you for holding and hosting it. To all of you people who participated, it was an honour, a true privilege, and a pleasure to have brushed wingtips with you! I absolutely loved every mile flown. Love your company. This experience changed my outlook to the world: It is much larger and more varied than I have ever imagined.

I got to the office this morning, and was getting ready to start up the flightplanner prior to take off, when it struck me...

ATW80 is over...

Damn... it was fun 

...albeit somewhat time consuming...

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, kalizzi said:

Hi Rupert,

Hope all is well with you. Sadly I am away from my simulator so my wings are clipped. I will most definitely fly to Pembrey after the Journey. As for your KY bourbon suggestion, I followed and bought a bottle of this:

It is nice, to say the least.

True Dave. It is dangerous goods that is not allowed on board. I had to drink it all.

Cheers to all and safe flying.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:43 AM, rupert said:

Hey There!  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! 

.Here in Kentucky we've not  seen this product!!  Having said that, it does look good!!

I just grilled a rack of lamb on my grill and served it with steamed fresh asparagus and home made mashed potatoes.  In Kentucky it's 69*F tonight.  But the forecasts are for much colder weather starting tomorrow, so I felt I'd best do what I could when I could!

After the bottle of Chateau Lafron-Rochet 1996 with dinner, we made do with a dram or two of Elijah Craig bourbon and good strong black coffee to end our evening.

Rupert

Hello Again Rupert,

I promised to show you the back of the bottle, after you remarked "Here in Kentucky we've not  seen this product!!"

Spot on, it it seems like it is a product for the UK market, as you see on the bottle back. Its a super smoky super dark Jim Beam bourbon.

And the TV commercial that is currently running in the UK is on you tube:

13 hours ago, DaveLTB said:

I got to the office this morning, and was getting ready to start up the flightplanner prior to take off, when it struck me...

ATW80 is over...

Damn... it was fun 

...albeit somewhat time consuming...

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Yes it was very demanding, but I miss it too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived