As a beginner flyer should I do this?

bwiemers

This looks like fun, but since I'm not sure if I should attempt this as I'm pretty much a total rookie and have not flown for a number of years (about 2) so there is a very high chance of me:

a. getting lost

b. ditching

c. all of the above. 

I've done a bit of IFR flying, but I'm not experienced enough to fly VATSIM or IVAO.

I did try flying my Cessna around Australia a few years back with real weather, but ended up ditching in the dessert in goodness knows where. :)

I'm not one for flying the big birds, so I will be looking to go low and slow. I usually fly a Cessna 172, but I'm not sure if  this would have the range to do this. Any suggestions on whether I should skip this event or choose a different plane. One that is suitable for a beginner. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

The flighplan you use is enough, and most flightplanning tolls allow you to safe the flighplan in a format which can be displayed in Google Earth/Maps like the kmz file format

For beginners?  Definitely!  It's good to have destinations and deadlines to aim for and if like me you intend to change aircraft as you go you will try out aircraft in your hangar that you rarely fly.  Also you can experiment with navigation; dead reckoning, VOR, GPS (cheating a little?) and good old VFR. You'll get to fly to places you may not have thought of visiting as it is often too tempting to 'fly around where you know'.  Mistakes and mishaps will be part of the experience just as they were in the original story.  It should be fun.

Sure, nothing wrong with not using official airways and navigation routes. Just use the built-in GPS and a direct-to route, maybe tweak it a bit to go around high mountains and things like that as you go.

Personally, apart from using an aircraft that's 100 years newer than anything that could fly in the era the book is set (there were no aircraft then) will assume there are no airspace restrictions, no navaids, just a compass (which the GPS will be for me).

Archived