Jess B

Jess-b

I took a few days in Aden to try and get my right engine to cool correctly. The local mechanic hadn't ever seen a dove, and with a language barrier that made my German seem fluent by comparison, I got him to check Nellie over during my stay. All good things must come to an end though, and it's time to push on to Pakistan.

Please login to display this image.

I leave early in the morning, once again hoping to avoid the worst of the heat. Originally I'd planned a stop in Oman, but frankly I'm sick of sand and deserts, so It's gonna be a long day at the controls. It isn't long before I discover my oil temp issue is still with me. For now all is OK. It's starting to make me nervous though. 

Along the route, a few mountains appear in the distance, looking for all the world like they're hovering above the ground thanks to low mist. It's a welcome change from the sand. At least the water is crystal clear. 

A single Fuel stop at Salalah is all that's planned and it'll be a flying visit. No pun intended. After what seems like an age, it pops into existence like a mirage, or an oasis. 

The approach is fun, with a fair crosswind, but as usual, the Dove behaves impeccably. With the flaps fully deployed I decide to test the old Girls ability to fly at slow speeds. I touch down with a little over 50kts on the clock and taxi off the runway in what seems to be mere meters. Damn that's impressive. No time for relaxing though as its off again. From here the journey returns to the constant 'sand, sand, sand' motif of the last 1000 miles or so, with only my arrival overhead Oman to brighten the trip.

Now its just two way points between me and Pakistan. Nellie heads out toward Muscat and the coast, arriving there as the sun is starting to get low in the sky.

As dusk settles in, the 200nm trip to my overnight at Jiwani changes the sand for the open water. It's ok though and I'm happy for a change of pace. The sky is turning purple as I sight land. The approach is straight in and It can't come to soon. Cramp is setting in. 

Descending the right hand engine starts getting too hot again. In its defence, the outside temperature is 36 degrees, hotter than the rest of the trip. Opening the Cowl flaps doesn't even help. 

It's all for nothing though, as once on the ground the temps drop and I taxi to the parking bay for the night. Tomorrow I push on to VABB and a two day rest before Leg three kicks in. Phew. 

I'm up with the birds today, excited to finally put leg two to rest. In truth there's little to do around these parts and after travelling all through the Middle East and into Pakistan, I'm gasping for a beer. The air is already warm as I get Nellie ready for flight. As dawn becomes morning, we sail off into the blue yonder. Having arrived here at dusk last night, I hadn't noticed that my old friend, sand is still prevalent here. The dry landscape below only makes me want a beer even more.

Today I fly west to Karachi then down the coast before landing at Mumbai. The sand soon gives way to crisp clear oceans and I'm relieved to not see the desert for quite a while. 

Progress is swift on the first leg, with a nice 10kt tailwind helping push Nellie and I along. At Karachi though, things are not as nice as I would like. The weather is hazy, hot and humid. There's very little to see outside. Below the city pops in and out of focus. 

I hope the weather is better in Mumbai. Pushing on as ever, it's not to long before the pale sandy desert begins to give way to the greener pastures of India. despite the heat outside, I start to feel cooler in the cockpit. the lack of sand has much to answer for. Checking ahead, the Weather isn't all I hoped, and although approaching Mumbai seems clear, the airport reports just 3000m of visibility.

There's also now an added pressure, traffic. I haven't had to worry about traffic in the air for awhile, but Mumbai is busy. Sure enough, as the traffic increases, the visibility decreases and I'm vectored for an arrival on 27. Earlier in this trip I found out the Dove only has half an ILS system, localiser only. no glide slope. So in the haze I'm relying solely on instinct and hope, and more on the later than the former.

Spotting the runway I see an A320 on it's takeoff roll a mile ahead. It'll be clear before I land but the pressure is defiantly on. I land long but there's plenty of room to roll out. Turning onto the cross runway for the taxiway, behind me another A320 arrives.

I need a drink. I taxi to my parking spot, dodging the big aircraft as I go. Nellie breathes a sigh of relief as we both shut down. Tonight I can relax. It's the weekend, and that Tiger beer is calling me. 

Hi Jess, such a good diary and pictures. Me and my trusty Dash rolled into Mumbai on Wednesday, ASN had predicted fog which was a little pessimistic but it has certainly been hazy since. Your Dove is certainly nearer to flying basics than the Dash. I commend your effort. Might see you for a beer! Like you, I had grown weary of the sand all the way from Port Said, except for the surprising greenness at Salalah.

Early morning's aren't my thing, but I wanted to try and get going before the rush hour into Mumbai started. Sadly I may have screwed that up. I find Nellie surrounded by big aircraft and we've got a long taxi ahead. With everything stowed and ready to go, I get Nellie up and running and start my taxi to the active. It's 15 minutes before we reach the threshold and we still have to wait for an arriving aircraft.

with the all clear sounded, we make for skies and head out of town.  

The Early morning haze isn't helping visibility and my hopes for a clear view of Mumbai as we depart slip away in the murky skies below. Thankfully the skies clear as we leave Mumbai and the vast plains give way to a few hills ahead. at 8000 feet they're no trouble. 

This is one of the shortest legs in the whole route, and I could easily do in in just half a day. Instead I'm stopping for the night in Raipur. There's no sense in going around the world if you can't experience a bit of it now and again. So with a flight time of just over two hours, this is gonna be a piece of cake. I happen to be very fond of cake. I settle in and take in the scenery. At one point I spot a vast mountain out on the right hand side of the aircraft. Who knows what it is, but having never flown in India before, I can't tell. 

Approaching Aurangabad the view is taken from me as yet more smog and haze fill the cockpit screens. Like Mumbai, as I clear the city the air clears with it and I once again find the blue sky. 

At Nanpur, the weather is much better and I get my first glance at a large Indian city. The world's biggest democracy sits below and it's clear from the amount of sprawl the city has achieved, how India earned the title. 

Finally, as early morning catches up with me, I reach Raipur. There's not much to see at the airfield, but the cit sits a few miles way. This afternoon I'll be in search of the perfect curry. Tomorrow, well that's also a short 2 hour hop. Best enjoy India while I still can.

Archived