• Aerosoft

Normally I don’t exhibit my own hardware but heck, I am rather proud of my 20th (!!) home built system, so I decided to show it off here. It not one of my standard builds that I always wanted to keep under 1000 euro because my tax adviser told me I had to make more expenses. Hell yeah! Please note this is not a system paid by Aerosoft (my colleagues should be so lucky), I buy my own hardware.

‘Stealthy Falcon’ is based around a AMD Ryzen 7 188X 8 core CPU and a Gigabit AX370 Gaming K7 motherboard. I decided to go for AMD because I really want competition to Intel in CPU’s. What we had the last 12 years is not healthy. I also liked to Ryzen because it has very good value for money and that it runs cool (more on that later). It’s a 3.6 GHz chip, but it runs 100% stable at 4 GHz without any overvolting. The motherboard was chosen because it offers a lot of memory tweaking options (memory compatibility is a weak point of the Ryzen chipset) but mainly because it has a dual network interface. I use two ISP’s for connection and do not like to add add-on NICs.  As it is a gaming motherboard it has loads of leds that can light up in a zillion colour. On my build, the colour matches the CPU load. <10% shows green, >80% load shows red colour.

Please login to display this image.

Sixteen gigabyte of G.Skill Ripjaws 3,2 GHz memory was recognized as 2.2 GHz and need to be told its own speed in the BIOS. It now runs at 3,4 GHz, will probably try 3,6 later. Memory speed is really of very limited importance these days.  A Be Quiet 650-watt power supply with modular cables is ample for the system.

My favorite bit of hardware is the Samsung 960 PRO SSD. That’s a NVMe drive (so not SATA but it plugs directly in the motherboard). This tiny 1 TB drive reads at 3500 MB/s and writes 2100 MB/s, now if you keep in mind a very fast standard SATA SSD does 540 MB/s read, 520 MB/s write you will understand it is seriously fast. Remember when you first started FSX after installing a SSD? How fast it was? You will have the same experience when you update from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD. It’s fast. I run an older 500 Gb SSD for my Steam library (of course the flightsims run of the fast drive) and a 10 TB hard disk for long term storage. As graphics card, I decided to stick with my 1070, I find it hard to justify a more expensive card for my use.

Because this is my 20th build I also decided to go for a special ‘case’. As I often fiddle with drives etc. a ‘show case’ where you do not have to open it every time you need to plug a cable seemed to make a lot of sense. I decided on a Thermaltake Core P5 that looks more like a coffee table then a computer case.  All your parts are fully visible under the glass cover and the side are completely open. The complete open structure was also inspired by my Dared amplifier that also shows its soft glowing vacuum tubes to the world. Sorry for the shitty picture, my phone is not very good at low light conditions.

As the completely open system would rest om my desk keeping it quiet was very important. As we all know P3D and X-Plane can push CPU’s easily to 100% the cooling needed to be very low noise. I decided to go for a 3-fan closed loop liquid cooling system from be quiet.  A bit of overkill but I intend to hook up the GPU to the waterloop later. But it is damned effective, after stress testing all 8 cores at 100% load for 30 minutes the GPU leveled out at 39 degrees (the correct Celsius kind) and the three fans that idle at 528 rpm sped up to 720 rpm. I can’t hear them. At one-meter distance the system is totally silent to my ears.

Contrary to what you might think a completely open case is NOT good for thermal management because there is not a lot of airflow over some components. While doing the stress testing part of the motherboard peaked at 85 degrees and I had to add a small fan aimed at that part. Excluding the graphics card, there is now no temperature sensor that goes over 40 degrees even when the system runs full load.  While being almost totally silent. The build is completed with some of my favourite bits from my previous main system, the Edifier speakers (the Dared of course has its own ELAC speakers), my LG super widescreen, Aukey mechanical keyboard, Logitech’s MX master mouse, Windows Hello compatible fingerprint reader, 28 port USB hub  and Microsoft Surface Dial.

So how much faster is this new system compared to my previous one? That one has a 6 core i7-5820k with 16 Gb of memory on an ASUS X99 motherboard. All running at stock speed. To test this I used my standard set of situations in P3d V4. These situations go from incredibly heavy to very low load. I was surprised about the results. All these are average fps over 10 minutes, after rebooting the system and using the test situations as startup situation.

Old: 12, 44, 126.

New 17, 51, 148.

Clearly the system helps more when the going gets tough. I think that is because of the two additional cores but I will need to look at this a bit more.  In the medium complexity setup, the gain was minimal. Clearly the superfast drive makes loading the sim a lot faster, something that really helps when you work with it as we do.

Not being a X-Plane expert I only did minimal testing but it seemed to me that X-Plane is as always better in using more hardware. All FPS were around 20% higher. Again, the faster disk made a hell of a difference. I am very happy with ‘Stealthy Falcon’. I build a new system every 18 month, but this was the first where I decided to spend time on the looks and ergonomics. I think I managed to pull it off. I spend an enjoyable week selecting and ordering the parts and trying to fit it all and make it look good.

Thanks to my tax adviser!

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't mention the video card, it looks like a MSI 1080.  Being more of an X-plane user just now.  I find that it doesn't push my processor very much, it is getting more GPU intensive ( I have a 1080TI, I have 4k monitor ).  However that isn't maxed out either.  I am waiting until further sim upgrades to arrive to know what to upgrade. I have a i7 4790 running at 4.6Ghz, which handles it all pretty well.

Wow,

Nice Rig Mathijs. Very noble looking in comparison to my boring black block ;-)

I agree with you on that with AMD and Intel. I hope they will catch up to Intel some day again because of healthy competition (I think the same for AMD and nVidia with graphics), though I have to admit, that I have the 2 Products from the "dark side". ;-) 

I have an intel i5 4670K @ 4.2 Ghz with an nVidia GTX 1070 which runs very fine with X Plane 11, Prepar3d 3 and 4, Aerofly FS2 anyway (no wonder for a sim without complex Weather models, Traffic and ATC. But lets see what it brings in the future) and also with DCS and FSW. 

Do you have good experiences with the AMD so far?

Greetings

• Aerosoft
18 hours ago, Dudley said:

You didn't mention the video card, it looks like a MSI 1080.  Being more of an X-plane user just now.  I find that it doesn't push my processor very much, it is getting more GPU intensive ( I have a 1080TI, I have 4k monitor ).  However that isn't maxed out either.  I am waiting until further sim upgrades to arrive to know what to upgrade. I have a i7 4790 running at 4.6Ghz, which handles it all pretty well.

It's a 1070.

• 2 months later...
vor 2 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Do consider an AMD CPU, simply better value for money at this moment.

Please excuse me for writing English in German forums, I do read and speak the language but when I write it people tend to look funny at me.\

:o-_-

Your machine seems to be great, but, written in english it´s really bad to read that (for me).

If written in german, it would be much easier to read, especially if you use specific technical terms or sayings and so.

As not every day speaking (and writing) english, I´m not very pleased, if I get an english answers on a german question.

Sorry, but so I feel.

Yours

Wolfgang

Nein, Mathijs, ich bin keinesfalls beleidigt und will gerne weiterhin Ihre Meinnung hören. Nur, wenn es geht, auf Deutsch, da tue ich mich viel leichter, speziell bei Fachausdrücken.

Aber ich habe da auch wohl was missverstanden und mich wohl vorschnell geäßert. Dafür entschuldige ich mich.  :mellow::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sie haben mir mit Ihrem Post schon sehr wichtige Hinweise gegeben, und, wie ich schrieb, Ihre Maschine ist bombig, Sie verstehen was "vom Fach", deshalb sind mir Ihre Äußerungen wichtig.

Also bitte weiter so.

Liebe Grüße

Wolfgang Drewes

• Aerosoft

No problem Wolfgang. None at all.  There is a new online translator online that in my not very humble opinion blows all others out of the water: https://www.deepl.com/translator. Here is major part of the text in German.

Normalerweise stelle ich keine eigene Hardware aus, aber ich bin ziemlich stolz auf mein 20. (!!!) selbstgebautes System, also habe ich mich entschlossen, es hier zu zeigen. Es gehört nicht zu meinen Standard-Builds, dass ich schon immer unter 1000 Euro bleiben wollte, weil mein Steuerberater mir sagte, ich müsse mehr Geld ausgeben. Zur Hölle, ja! Bitte beachten Sie, dass es sich hierbei nicht um ein System handelt, das von Aerosoft bezahlt wird (meine Kollegen sollten so viel Glück haben), ich kaufe meine eigene Hardware.

Stealthy Falcon' basiert auf einer AMD Ryzen 7 188X 8 Core CPU und einem Gigabit AX370 Gaming K7 Mainboard. Ich habe mich für AMD entschieden, weil ich wirklich Konkurrenz zu Intel in CPUs haben möchte. Was wir in den letzten 12 Jahren hatten, ist nicht gesund. Ich mochte auch Ryzen, weil es ein sehr gutes Preis-Leistungs-Verhältnis hat und dass es cool läuft (mehr dazu später). Es ist ein 3,6 GHz Chip, aber er läuft 100% stabil bei 4 GHz, ohne dass es zu Überspannungen kommt. Das Motherboard wurde gewählt, weil es viele Optionen zur Optimierung des Arbeitsspeichers bietet (Speicherkompatibilität ist ein Schwachpunkt des Ryzen-Chipsatzes), aber vor allem, weil es über eine duale Netzwerkschnittstelle verfügt. Ich verwende zwei ISPs für die Verbindung und möchte keine Add-on-Netzwerke hinzufügen.  Da es sich um ein Gaming-Motherboard handelt, verfügt es über eine Vielzahl von LEDs, die in einer Zillion Farben leuchten können. Auf meinem Build stimmt die Farbe mit der CPU-Last überein. <10% zeigt grün, >80% Last zeigt rote Farbe.

Sechzehn Gigabyte G.Skill Ripjaws 3,2 GHz Speicher wurden als 2,2 GHz erkannt und müssen im BIOS mit der eigenen Geschwindigkeit beschrieben werden. Er läuft jetzt mit 3,4 GHz, wird es wahrscheinlich später mit 3,6 versuchen. Die Speichergeschwindigkeit ist heutzutage wirklich von sehr begrenzter Bedeutung.  Ein Be Quiet 650-Watt-Netzteil mit modularen Kabeln ist ausreichend für das System.

Meine Lieblings-Hardware ist das Samsung 960 PRO SSD. Das ist ein NVMe-Laufwerk (also kein SATA-Laufwerk, sondern es wird direkt an das Motherboard angeschlossen). Dieses winzige 1 TB Laufwerk liest mit 3500 MB/s und schreibt 2100 MB/s, jetzt, wenn man bedenkt, dass eine sehr schnelle Standard-SATA-SSD 540 MB/s liest und 520 MB/s schreibt, wird man verstehen, dass es ernsthaft schnell ist. Erinnern Sie sich noch daran, wie Sie den FSX nach der Installation einer SSD zum ersten Mal gestartet haben? Wie schnell war es? Die gleiche Erfahrung haben Sie auch beim Update von SATA SSD auf NVMe SSD. Es ist schnell. Ich betreibe eine ältere 500 Gb SSD für meine Steam-Bibliothek (natürlich laufen die Flugsims des schnellen Laufwerks) und eine 10 TB Festplatte für die Langzeitspeicherung. Als Grafikkarte habe ich mich entschieden, bei meiner 1070 zu bleiben, ich finde es schwer, eine teurere Karte für meinen Gebrauch zu rechtfertigen.

Da dies mein 20. Build ist, habe ich mich auch für einen speziellen Fall entschieden. Da ich oft mit Laufwerken etc. herumfummle, erschien mir ein"Schaukasten", bei dem man ihn nicht jedes Mal öffnen muss, wenn man ein Kabel anschließen muss, sehr sinnvoll. Ich entschied mich für einen Thermaltake Core P5, der eher wie ein Couchtisch als wie ein Computergehäuse aussieht.  Alle Ihre Teile sind unter der Glasabdeckung vollständig sichtbar und die Seite ist komplett offen. Die komplette offene Struktur wurde auch von meinem Dared-Verstärker inspiriert, der auch seine weich glühenden Vakuumröhren der Welt zeigt. Sorry für das beschissene Bild, mein Handy ist bei schlechten Lichtverhältnissen nicht sehr gut.

Da das vollständig offene System auf meinem Schreibtisch ruhen würde, war es sehr wichtig, es ruhig zu halten. Wie wir alle wissen, können P3D und X-Plane CPU's leicht auf 100% bringen, so dass die Kühlung sehr leise sein muss. Ich entschied mich für ein geschlossenes 3-Lüfter-Flüssigkeitskühlsystem von be quiet.  Ein wenig Overkill, aber ich beabsichtige, die GPU später an den Wasserkreislauf anzuschließen. Aber es ist verdammt effektiv, nach einem Stresstest aller 8 Kerne bei 100% Last für 30 Minuten nivellierte sich der Grafikprozessor auf 39 Grad (die richtige Celsius-Art) und die drei Lüfter, die bei 528 U/min im Leerlauf laufen, beschleunigten auf 720 U/min. Ich kann sie nicht hören. In einem Meter Entfernung ist das System für meine Ohren völlig geräuschlos.

Im Gegensatz zu dem, was man meinen könnte, ist ein komplett offenes Gehäuse NICHT gut für das Thermomanagement, da es nicht viel Luftstrom über einige Komponenten gibt. Während des Stresstests erreichte der Teil des Motherboards einen Spitzenwert von 85 Grad und ich musste einen kleinen Lüfter hinzufügen, der auf diesen Teil ausgerichtet war. Ohne die Grafikkarte gibt es keinen Temperatursensor, der über 40 Grad hinausgeht, auch wenn das System voll ausgelastet ist.  Während ich fast völlig still war. Der Bau wird mit einigen meiner Lieblingsbits aus meinem vorherigen Hauptsystem, den Edifier-Lautsprechern (der Dared hat natürlich seine eigenen ELAC-Lautsprecher), meinem LG-Superbreitbild, der mechanischen Aukey-Tastatur, Logitechs MX-Master-Maus, dem Windows Hello-kompatiblen Fingerabdruckleser, dem 28-Port USB-Hub und dem Microsoft Surface Dial abgeschlossen.

Wie viel schneller ist dieses neue System im Vergleich zu meinem Vorgängersystem? Dieser hat einen 6-Core i7-5820k mit 16 Gb Speicher auf einem ASUS X99 Mainboard. Alle laufen mit Stockgeschwindigkeit. Um dies zu testen, habe ich meine Standard-Situationen in P3d V4 verwendet. Diese Situationen reichen von unglaublich schwer bis zu sehr geringer Belastung. Ich war über die Ergebnisse überrascht. All dies sind durchschnittliche fps über 10 Minuten, nach einem Neustart des Systems und der Verwendung der Testsituationen als Startsituation.

Alt: 12, 44, 126.
Neue 17, 51, 148.

Offensichtlich hilft das System mehr, wenn es hart auf hart kommt. Ich denke, das liegt an den beiden zusätzlichen Kernen, aber ich muss mir das etwas genauer ansehen.  In der mittleren Komplexität

Ja, Mathijs,

dein System sieht sehr gut aus.

Aufgrund meines beschränkten Budgerts (mein Finanzminister gestattet nicht mehr als max. 1500 Euronen) muss ich einige Einschränkungen in Kauf nehmen.

Meine Intention sieht so aus:

Ryzen 7, 1700X oder 1800X (wobei letzterer hart an der Grenze liegt) plus Radeon RX 580, 8GB GDDR5-RAM. ansonsten alles, wie schon geschrieben.

Frage:Besteht ein großer  Leistungsunterschied zwischen 1700X und 1800X? Oder ist das, vom Spielablauf her, vernachlässigbar, wie das zwischen Core i5 und i7 der Fall ist?

Der Preisunterschied zwischen beiden Prozessoren beträgt ca. 100 Euro, das ist in Bezug auf den kompletten Systempreis für mich schon bedeutend.

Weil, wie gesagt, mein PC überwiegend für andere Tätigkeiten (Büro, Foto, Video) verwendet wird.

Vielen Dank für die große Entscheidungshilfe.

Wolfgang

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Did you used AffinityMask with your AMD setup ? On some AMD user it gives an incredible fps boost. Also on my PC i had a great boost with my i5 4460 , while just switching the priority to "high" in task manager i manage to get more fps and less stutters.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Sixteen gigabyte of G.Skill Ripjaws 3,2 GHz memory was recognized as 2.2 GHz and need to be told its own speed in the BIOS. It now runs at 3,4 GHz, will probably try 3,6 later. Memory speed is really of very limited importance these days.  

You should read his original post.  :-)

• 7 months later...

Hi Mr Kok,

when I read through this topic very interested in your new system build I focused on one component to may be the solution of all trouble I got the past month of simming.

During the last hot summer temperatures of cpu and gpu grew up extremely and my system crashed quite offen. 

You mentionend to use a water cooling cycle for the cpu. So I am really thinking about improving my system by this component. Could this be a logical step or should I consider other reasons for system instability as well?

Also you said to add the gpu later to the cooling cycle. Do I need another component especially for the gpu in addition to the be quiet cooling system? E.g. I found some gpu water cooling components for the 1070 on some online stores for example.

Hope to hear from you and wish a nice evening

Dennis

mathijs..... now tell us the truth, have you had to scratch and get very deep in your pocket?

What makes it colder, in your home, air conditioning, refrigerator or PC?

:hi_s::lookatthat_s:

• Aerosoft
On 10/6/2018 at 7:08 PM, dennis1988 said:

You mentionend to use a water cooling cycle for the cpu. So I am really thinking about improving my system by this component. Could this be a logical step or should I consider other reasons for system instability as well?

Also you said to add the gpu later to the cooling cycle. Do I need another component especially for the gpu in addition to the be quiet cooling system? E.g. I found some gpu water cooling components for the 1070 on some online stores for example.

In my 'case' water cooling would not really be better than air cooling, I just prefer it because it is more stable. In a normal fully enclosed case I think it is alway better. See a air cooled fan moves the heat from the CPU to the air inside the case and you need additional fans to move it out of the case. A water cooler moves the heat directly to the outside.

If you do not have experience I would not go for a DYI solution, it is not trivial.

Indeed I have no practical experience with water cooled cycles in a pc but it seemed to be a promising alternative to the convective air cooling by using a fan I have currently placed just in front of the computer to transport heat to the outside.

Thank you very much for your answer :)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Another consideration in adding water cooling to your existing case is whether or not you have to mod the case to get the heat exchanger/fan shroud assembly in. I have a Koolance system that came with the exchanger already installed in a nice quality tower case. Being careful, I had no issues with making hose connections but I'd have second thoughts about moving to another case because cutting the required rectangular hole for the heat exchanger/fan shroud requires tools I'd only use once and probably aren't cheap. If I needed to change cases for some reason, I'd go with the "caseless" approach Mathijs used.

Archived