How to get started on a repaint

Most of the repainters rarely talk about tools and workflow, they just announce they started a repaint and post screenshots from FSX/P3D or some 3D modeling tool. I found I could open DDS files with tools like Paint .Net or Gimp, which I have because they are free, but I remember reading somewhere that they contain multiple copies of the livery in different resolutions. So do I have to paint multiple times? For the CRJ there is also a helpful composite file that combines several DDS files aligning the body, and has guidelines, but how to reconstruct the individual files when you're done is not explained. Or at least, I wouldn't know where to find such information.

Way back, I posted a request for a (fictional) KLM livery. I know there are enough real liveries still lacking to keep the painters busy, so I wouldn't mind trying my hand. Now if I only knew how to do this...

Bert Laverman

PS

There is a real-world livery that I would like to get as well, but that is for the default Beech Baron, namely the KLM flightschool. I found one way back, but I'd almost say even I could do better. If I open the dds file I can see lots of blue going beyond the boudaries of the body. If I knew how to do this properly, I could tackle that one as well...

• Deputy Sheriffs

When I use this search string "fsx aircraft repainting tutorial" in Google I find tons of informations about repainting.

Did you try this?

Most of those articles are from 2012 or older. Are they still good? Also, the default Baron has low-res textues. Is it difficult to provide a higher resolution? How about that composite image for the CRJ? If I use that, how does that work back into the separate ones?

Archived