Adding missing data to NavDataPro

FlyingAxx

Hello guys,

From time to time it happens, that even bigger airports are not listed in FSX navigation data. To give an example, the Shigatse Peace Airport (ZURK) in Tibet, not included by default neither in FSX nor in P3D, is missing in both commercial AIRAC datasets I know about as well. The airport is added, I even dug out some data (even about commercial traffic - well, it's moderate), but I'm not sure whether it's sufficient to amend my navigation data base.

As it is no rocket science adding those data manually to PMDG's airport and navigation files, the structure is relatively simple, but fully sufficient, I wasn't able to decipher the meaning of all data fields being used by Aerosoft up to now - even after comparing lots of different sets of various regions. :(   Even if I think that I got most of the meanings (but probably not all being really required) I'm keen learning to understand the rest. Unfortunately it's not urgent enough, purchasing e.g. ARINC 424, as I know more or less how SIDs and STARs are defined and I think it's not worth the money specifically as I don't know whether the required entries are really defined. What I'm doing is just for my own private use and not available elsewhere outside the aviation industry.

What I'm doing is just running MakeRunways.exe, a little tool of Pete Dowson to get my FS data listed in XML format. It tracks all default airports and my add-ons, too (of course by respecting the priorities). A second tool, written by myself (with a little  help of my son) produces the required ISG1 and PMDG files, filtered by surface requirements and minimum runway length. This gives me the choice either using the produced files showing the state of my sim or just adding a growing set of elsewhere missing data, to be added manually each month (if required).

A snippet:

A,EDFH,FRANKFURT-HAHN,49.94867,7.26389,1649,5000,0,12400,0                                      (Transition ALT, I know, the first red one is an altitude as well, in the US it's set to TRANS ALT mostly, elsewhere different or even Zero)
R,03,31,12467,148,1,109.300,31,49.93940,7.25475,1649,3.00,56,0,0                                (no idea what's behind it, the rest is okay)
L,03,IHAE,EDFH 03 ILS CAT 1,109.300,49.96250,7.27754,31.00,1.5,49.94139,7.25878,1648,3.00,1     (no idea what's behind it, the rest is okay)
M,49.93072,7.24537,1649,2,IHAE,31.00                                                            (why is a localiser-course defined with a (NDB) marker?) 
L,21,IHAW,EDFH 21 ILS CAT 3,111.300,49.92871,7.24421,211.00,1.5,49.95641,7.26954,1595,3.00,3
(same as above)

Last remark: I don't bother about the empty entries following the parking spot's LAT/LON.

Is someone out there, who could help me about the missing definitions (including you guys of Aerosoft, of course)? :wub:

Thanks!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Axel,

this has already been discussed in the past. While you may add/alter the data on your own for your personal use, Aerosoft will not give any kind of support. No information about the datastructure and no support in case of any problems.

I've done this by myself long time ago, but it was simply not worth the effort, as you have to change it again and again with each new AIRAC. Additionally some addons do not use navdata in a simple text file, but use a db file format or need some special coding.

So do it on your own risk, but do not expect any kind of support.

8 hours ago, mopperle said:

this has already been discussed in the past.

Sorry Otto, I did a search here and didn't find related threads.

So do it on your own risk,

It works for me well with PMDG's data and it doesn't seem to be too difficult changing my already existent program code in order to meet at least the basic requirements. Of course I know that some additional birds can't take any benefit, however, due to to cycle changes I would never include all available changes into the virgin navdata files, but those that might be relevant for the area I'm planning to fly next. As the data structure of my old Flight1-ATR is quite similar (even if not as comprehensive) I think it's worth trying it even without any support.

BTW, as you wrote I'm dealing with text files, the risk is just crashing the bird as at least the A320 & Co did from time to time by itself even when flying it from the books. I'm following this hobby now almost as long as MSFS exists and since AFCAD and later ADE made things more convenient, I developed the habit changing disturbing stuff related to airports myself. Often they are just misplaced, sometimes doubled, others are missing, renamed or what ever else. Meanwhile my self-made collection comprises a couple of hundred add-on airports, besides downloaded freeware and those I'd bought. It's part of the fun for me even if armchair-flying comes first.

but do not expect any kind of support.

Actually, unfortunately I'm not surprised.

• Deputy Sheriffs
22 minutes ago, FlyingAxx said:

Actually, unfortunately I'm not surprised.

Aerosoft is simply not allowed to give any kind of support here due to contractual regulations with the data provider.

Archived