Auto-pilot disconnects on ILS...

ols500

Hello, I have been using the Aerosoft airbus for 8months now, so i'm very familiar with the systems and ILS landing however, when i come in for 26L at Gatwick it disconnects here:

Please login to display this image.

I am at 2000Feet my MAY so i'm very confused why it disconnects, but the ILS works for 8R in Gatwick...

• Deputy Sheriffs

Can you provide a screenshot of your PFD/ND and the MCDU F-PLN page in that moment, please?

Please open the map within your sim, and click on EGKK to get all details displayed. Please post a screenshot of that as well.

What navigation database are you using and what AIRAC cycle of it do you have installed?

• Deputy Sheriffs

The problem you are having is that you entered an incorrect mininum and because you are still in NAV mode the aircraft „thinks“ that you are flying a non precision approach. Due to the AP logic it will disconnect when you are 50 feet below that minimum. 

Try to enter the correct minimum of 396 feet for an ILS cat1 approach to RWY26L in EGKK and see how it goes. 

Yes, the BARO is the Decision Altitude (DA). On some approaches, for instance ILS Cat 3 approaches, you use the Decision Height (DH) instead. 

The value you enter into the approach perf page will be the point at which the GPWS system calls out: "Minimums". At this point the pilots have to make a decision whether to continue the approach.

It's about the type of approach as well. An ILS approach usually needs a Decision Altitude of about 200 feet above the runway. But if you are going for a ILS Cat 3b, you basically don't really have a decision altitude, but a decision height instead. In this case you would use the value 50 for the radioaltimeter. A minimum callout would be surpressed. And when we are talking about Non-Precision approaches, such as VOR, NDB or visual (or any other kind of similar approach) you will have a higher Decision Altitude. On an approach chart you can look up the DA or DH for your approach. 

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I would suggest that you move these procedural questions to the general section. We even encourage you to do so because many people could benefit from all the information. 

This being the support section for problems with the Airbus makes it not the ideal place to do some IFR rules schooling. 

Happy landings!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Why? I gave you the answer. The AP will disconnect if it is 50 feet below the minimum you inputted when in NAV mode. 

What you are asking now goes beyond the scope of your problem. Please fly the tutorial flight. It explaines the minima inputting and how to do it. 

Like I said the whole theory behind which minimum goes with which approach is beyond the scope of the support forums. We have the general forums for that. People are willing to help you there without tying up support personal from AS. This may sound a bit harsh but everything regarding minima and the use of charts can be found on the internet by investing some time yourself. It will even give you a better learning experience than just asking. 

So to get back to your problem, do you still experience it when entering a minimum of 396 BARO when flying the ILS26L in Gatwick?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Do not get us wrong but this part of the forum is support only. We have AS people that check these forums everyday to answer support questions. If we first have to read through x postings that have nothing to do with support it binds up our limited time and subsequently we do not have the time to give the full support we want.

We encourage people to ask questions and to be part of the community. We are only asking to differentiate between AS product support and other questions and post them in the subsequent forums. 

Good to hear that the problem is solved and have fun flying the AS Airbus!

ols500,

it's also about finding the pieces of information other forum users are looking for: If someone else is also interested in learning about approach minima, they won't look for it in a topic about autopilot disconnects.

Or, if someone else wanted to help others learning about ILS approaches, they wouldn't do so in a forum section restricted to support issues with a particular aircraft type.

Separate topics for different issues, it really helps you and everyone else the most.   :)

Archived