Harry Woodrow

harrry

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/01/07/2015-33258/prohibition-against-certain-flights-in-specified-areas-of-the-sanaa-oysc-flight-information-region

is still the current US prohibition for the area.  We are under the Australian registry and this is not covered by this however the risk exists and we will be leaving in a few minutes after the paperwork is finalised.  Our co pilot, Hudson Fysh is handling this at the moment and I understand it is taking all his negotiatng skills to keep the 'charges" within reasonable limits. 

The FAA has determined that there is an unacceptable risk to U.S. civil aviation operating in the Sanaa (OYSC) FIR, excluding that airspace east and southeast of a line drawn direct from KAPET (163322N 0530614E) to NODMA (152603N 0533359E), then direct from NODMA to PAKER (115500N 0463500E), due to the hazardous situation faced by U.S. civil aviation from ongoing military operations, political instability, violence from competing armed groups, and the continuing terrorism threat from extremist elements associated with the fighting and instability in Yemen.

International civil air routes that transit the specified areas of the Sanaa (OYSC) FIR and aircraft operating to and from Yemeni airports are at risk from terrorist and militant groups potentially employing anti-aircraft weapons, including Man-Portable Air Defense Systems (MANPADS), surface-to-air missiles (SAMs), small-arms fire, and indirect fire from mortars and rockets. Due to the fighting and instability, there is a risk of possible loss of state control over more advanced anti-aircraft weapons to terrorist and militant groups, and some of these weapons have the capability to target aircraft at higher altitudes and/or during approach and departure and have weapon ranges that could extend into the near off-shore areas along Yemen's coastline. U.S. civil aviation is also at risk from combat operations and other military-related activity associated with the fighting and instability. There is also an ongoing threat of terrorism. Al-Qa'ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) is active in Yemen and has demonstrated the capability and intent to target U.S. and Western aviation interests.

Attacks against aircraft in flight or Yemeni airports can occur with little or no warning. Various Yemeni airports have been attacked during the fighting, including Sanaa International Airport (OYSN) and Aden International Airport (OYAA), resulting in damage to..........;

Flight Number WW7884
Date Tuesday, 10 October 2017
Depart HEPS - Port Said Airport
Arrive OYAA - Aden International Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 11:00:00
Distance 1313 NM

On the ground at OOSA with the only casualty veing a coffee drowned keyboard.  Next step Bombay to enter India so I can go and have a week of scuba diving on a quiet island paradise.

Flight Number WW7923
Date Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Depart OYAA - Aden International Airport
Arrive OOSA - Salalah Airport
Aircraft WW-DHC6
Flight Time 06:00:36
Distance 583 NM

Well off to Bombay today.  I was hoping to go straight to Agatti but it is not a Point of Entry for India so we have to touch the mainland.  Works out a bit better for fuel though as we would have had to have drums of Avgas shipped to Agatti and that is not cheap.  This way we can tanker the fuel for  the return to the mainland.

Please login to display this image.

http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-3/vh-ean/vhean.html

This wonderful aircraft had a long ansd sometimes sad history.  A hard life for the old bird and it escaped the wreckers ball more than once.

I have a particular liking for the C-47  DC3.  It was a TAA DC3 in 1948 that I flew the first time from Melbourne to sydney.  I can still remember the food.

I flew on them may times after that, a couple of flights that stand out in my memory are a really wild flight grom Bouganville to Rabaul and another to the wonderful Trobian Islands as a charter flight.  It went fairly regularly on weekends from Port Moresby to the Trobians at weekends.  It could only fly as a group charter so one of the passengers had to volunteer to be the flight attendant for legal purposes.The time I went I got a good discount for doing that.

Six months younger than me, after beeing built at Oklahoma our aircraft joined the RAF.

http://www.pacificdakotarestorations.com/history-of-fj234/

The aircraft served with No. 24 squadron RAF and was used to transport Field Marshal Henry Maitland Wilson, Supreme Allied Commander in the Mediterranean and successor to Dwight D Eisenhower.  During its RAF career the aircraft had the privilege of flying dignitaries such as Winston Churchill and King George VI.

AZ good sleep at Bombay but as they have parking problems for Aircraft there we made an early start for Goa.

Was looking forward to this whhen I reads this:

New Terminal Building at Goa is an integrated terminal building capable of handling both domestic and international operations. The terminal building is equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities like passenger boarding bridges, CUTE enabled check-in counters, inline compatible baggage handling system, software based building management system, elevators and escalators

Always did have a thing for cute check in counter operators but got a big disapointent.  This CUTE refers to software.

Flight Number WW7873
Date Friday, 13 October 2017
Depart VABB - Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
Arrive VOGO - Dabolim Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 02:30:36
Distance 229 NM

Goa is now eeven worse than it was in 1980.  Stayed 2 days there then and found the place totally full of stoned agressive pretending to be hippies.  Now it is full of Drunk stoned package tourists from Europe.   Ibiza and then some.

Left the nexgt morning for what  I hope is a paradise.

Flight Number WW7860
Date Saturday, 14 October 2017
Depart VOGO - Dabolim Airport
Arrive VOAT - Agatti Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 02:43:12
Distance 290 NM

All good things come to an end....had to move on as they needed our DC3 parking space.  

Nice things to do here but no real accomodation due to disagreements between Federal State and Local governments.  What unofficial accomodian is expensive (a non airconditioned room costs more than an airconditioned five star hotel in Delh).  Limits the tourists and the environment is still beautiful, the water and scuba diving is beautiful.  Do not come here if you want to drink though.  Completely banned.

I jave decided to fly out and head for a place I lived for a year.  Ootty in the Blue Mountains.  First a plane ride to Coimbaiture.

Flight Number WW7828
Date Monday, 16 October 2017
Depart VOAT - Agatti Airport
Arrive VOCB - Coimbatore International Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 02:46:48
Distance 287 NM

• 4 weeks later...

I haave been too busy to post though I have done the flying.

In summary Fogg loved Ootie.  I found itg impossible to drag him out of the Ootie club, the club that is more English than the English clubs.

We of course were not allowed entry as we wer mere vehicle drivers. 

Nevertherless it was good to catch up with old times and re-visit this beautiful oasis..  Sad to see the house I lived in was no more as a big crack develoed in the ground under it and half of it slipped down towatds the church.  A lot of memories there..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/india/articles/Ooty-India-back-in-time-to-the-birthplace-of-snooker/

Flight Number WWV127.png
WW7962 - Operated by Worldwide Virtual
Date Monday, 23 October 2017
Depart VOCB - Coimbatore International Airport
Arrive VABB - Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 05:24:36
Distance 541 NM

Back to Bombay after a great few days.

Flight Number WWV127.png
WW7937 - Operated by Worldwide Virtual
Date Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Arrive VIST - Satna Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 03:03:00
Distance 553 NM

Off on the nexzt leg across Inda.

Flight Number WWV127.png
WW7937 - Operated by Worldwide Virtual
Date Tuesday, 24 October 2017
Arrive VIST - Satna Airport
Aircraft WW-DC30
Flight Time 03:03:00
Distance 553 NM

This is where we had tto take an elephant, and met a princess...at a little town called 

Suti
Madhya Pradesh 486220, India

25.128081, 81.575057

A pity Bombay Airport did not look like this,,,,where the Bombay Delhi Mail departed.....

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/apr/21/chhatrapati-shivaji-terminus-cst-mumbai-railway-station

Archived