Installing to P3D V4

peter197

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something but when I used the installer, I had to select the P3D V3 option and then redirect the files to V4? While this way the aircraft has installed fine enough, it seems the aircraft's frames are lower now, by at least 20 FPS. Is there a particular reason why?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter

When I downloaded the T5 I installed it straight into V4 no problems , the F3 and F6 are pre V4 so won't have that option.  I just copied the F3 + F6  from the FSX folders and dropped them into the P3d folders , again with no issues .

As for framerates  it's the same model, textures and animations  so the only difference is how the sim handles it , and in P3d it should be better. than FSX ! and generally it's reported the Lightning's are really easy on frame rates.

Is your P3dv4 set up new ? it might need some of the display settings tweaking.

DR

Hi,

I don't use FSX so I moved from V3 to V4. Yes it is currently new so I'm getting everything across.

I do get the impression that V4 is far more robust than V3 and I can see in the frame rates in general.

However with the F3 and F6 it stutters and lags in the cockpit(no issues externally), while the T5 is fine and the frames are all good.

The frames in the F3 and F6 seem to be sitting between 20 and 30, though it feels like 10-15 with lag, while the T5 is 50-60 without stutters so I'm not sure what is occurring here?

I did have a look at settings but there's nothing that seemed offensive?

Thanks,

Peter

Strewth !  50-60 FR.... I wish B)

These aircraft were built and flown in FSX on a single core 1MB machine and my FR stood at around 15 -19 but still stayed smooth.

It's weird, the T5 FR being higher than the others as it is more complex so should reduce the FR slightly

I have just tried now in P3dv4 first in the F6 and then switched to the T5

With FR set to unlimited I'm getting 17- 25 FR on both, smooth flight no stutters (Yes, I have replaced the old machine :0)

DR

Hi Peter.

As D can attest I have had some teething probs with the Lightnings into P3Dv4.  If I may add some of my own input here...

I also found the F3 and F6 (whilst the T5 was quite fine) some what "stuttery" but as D said with some tweaking to the Graphics settings inside v4 things even out, subduing some of the HDR settings helped a great deal.   A big affect on me was to update my Graphics Card drivers.

Weirdly enough a big surprise was buying and installing Orbx England scenery.  I was convinced my poor old i7 3770K and GTX970 was going to burn out due to overload from the sim.... Quite the opposite happened.  Orbx actually smoothed the sim out no end, I rarely get stutters now where I would really suffer with the stock scenery!  Just a thought. :)

In regards to missing sound I too experienced the same, D pointed me to the sticky post in this forum regarding sound issues.  I am sure you will find it there at the top when you enter this forum.  Download the file and extract as per instructions then hey presto all the sounds are back :)

As a quick side you will notice that AAR (Air to Air Refuelling) and the Fuel Transfer System are INOP at the moment.   I believe D is working on it.    Any update on those probs Dave?

Well I think like most people we'll tend to have the same sort of scenery etc.

I'm running a 6700K with GTX 980. Have ORBX England with many ACG sceneries kicking about. Drivers have been updated.

It seems it may be a V4 issue though as I never saw a frame difference between the F6 and T5 beforehand, but I will continue to snoop. 

I'll have a look at HDR. Its default settings are too strong anyway and wash out too much of the sky IMO.

I think there must be something the sim is getting confused about on here, because it sits at 20-30 but lags a lot so there is something going on

8 hours ago, peter197 said:

Well I think like most people we'll tend to have the same sort of scenery etc.

I'm running a 6700K with GTX 980. Have ORBX England with many ACG sceneries kicking about. Drivers have been updated.

It seems it may be a V4 issue though as I never saw a frame difference between the F6 and T5 beforehand, but I will continue to snoop. 

I'll have a look at HDR. Its default settings are too strong anyway and wash out too much of the sky IMO.

I think there must be something the sim is getting confused about on here, because it sits at 20-30 but lags a lot so there is something going on

Hi Peter

By lag do you mean the time it takes to retexture after a viewpoint change ? 

A FR of 20 is better than the eye can see so flight should appear smooth.

904 is the fallback for the F6 set, do you  still get  problems  if you use  that airframe ?

@ Jon    I have got the updated gauge for the F3 (and T5) , but still waiting for the F6 .

D

Hi,

So I ran through all the variants again.

In each case I started at ACG Wattisham.

The F3 was the worst with frames where it was sitting at around 15 FPS. However, what I mean by lag is control response. If I moved the throttles rapidly back and forth it would take 1.5-2 seconds to respond. Switches like engine start were even worse. It would freeze etc.

The F6 sat at around 20 FPS, and it was generally better though you could still feel a noticeable lag in control response, though not as adverse as the F3. I tried both 904 and another F6 to no difference.

The T5 however sat at 35 FPS, no lag and smooth with no lag.

So it's rather odd here.

Update. Been toying with settings - 

In the past I used the have Vsync disabled and left it on unlimited frame rate. I've enabled Vsync at unlimited frames which seems to have reduced stutters.

The big change was I changed anti-aliasing from 8 MSAA down to 4. It made no change to the T5 in terms of frames, but had the largest impact on the F3, where no the F3 has better frames than the T5. F6 is now somewhere in between.

Odd really.

I'm glad you are getting it sorted .... it's also made me look into my settings to try and get things optimised .

I would expect the F3 to be easiest on FR followed by the F6 and then the T5 as the complexity grew and I threw in more details and hence polygons and animations  although it's not noticeable on my machine. Stuff like the throttles and switch codes , animations and textures never changed though so its a puzzle why they should vary. I have compared  the 3, 5 and 6 to see if I have done anything different  in fallback addresses or texturing etc. but nothing stands out.

D

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, peter197 said:

In addition I think there are some sounds missing?

Sorry Peter , I missed this post.

Yes the "if you have sound issues" sticky is an old one and not relevant to P3Dv4.

I thought I had posted a link here ( the sound issue is a general one and applies to all aircraft that use Aerosoft's  ASC . ) but I

cant find it either , so it's as well you posted the new link.

Cheers

Dave

Archived