quaxpilot

quaxpilot

vor 16 Stunden , James50 sagte:

Hi Lem, interested to see you using the interactive Navigraph charts facility. I'd forgotten that had been introduced and up until the beginning of this week I'd just been using the standard app on my iPad mini. I've now got a 2nd monitor up and running where I can use either Navigraph or Plan-G.

good log as ever and brilliant screen shots. I arrived in Bombay yesterday and have some down time till the next stage next week.

Aloha James50!

Yes, for aeronautical issues I use the Navigraph Charts Cloud as a moving map. For more geographical details and orientation/surface details I use LittleNavMap freeware on a laptop beside. That will help to anticipate a safe route with VFR within mountainous terrain or to find interesting spots. :)

safe landings

Lem

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha!

Here is the part between Gwadar OPGD and Karachi OPKC. For this flight I'd intended to do a short detour and fly along the foothills which spread over in parallel formation up to the coast. And a couple of national parks and wildlife resorts nearby.

I saw it on the map and it made me curious to have a look around there.

Please login to display this image.

Leaving in the late morning and already with about 30°C ( air condition here in this plane?) I enjoyed this tour with an altitude of about 3000ft. You may see it in the slideshow I've planned to add here.

Arriving in Karachi OPKC still with more than 30°C I decided to stay two or three days before the last section to reach India and arrive in Bombay.

this very nice freeware of OPGD

the lonesome visitor here...

...but with my own guide :D luxury pure for an airport with 2 parking slots, 1 taxiway and 1 runway ;)

here we go!

more than 30°C inside...despite the nice cirrus from SkyMaxx pro

Karachi approach part 1 ( a little german pun: mit Karacho nach Karachi :) ) I think it's ...with a hell-for-leather

and part 2 with some detailed view

Now I try to embed a kind of slideshow here. If it doesn't work you must use the link to switch to the Imgur website to watch it there. This should work.

sightseeing in Balochistan

grrrr...I need some more infos how to embed a slideshow here. Sorry, use the link please.

safe landings

Lem

opgd_opkc.kml

vor 2 Stunden , DaveLTB sagte:

No more old airline posters? 

I love the ones you found earlier

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Aloha!

hmmm...I collided with http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/127390-fantastic-trippe who used these fantastic old posters first ( I noticed it in his diary too late...after I had the same idea).

For the next résumé I have another idea...but maybe I will use old posters later when crossing the USA...but this should not be a battle of the posters :)

safe landings

Lem

vor 37 Minuten, hedaew sagte:

Very nice scenery of OPGD  !!

Aloha!

Yeah, I like it, really detailed and atmospheric. For XPlane users here ( XP11 only...): https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38587-opgd-gwadar-international-airport-pakistan-10/

What surprises me is that FM Car automatically found it's route data and working without problems :)

safe landings

Lem

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha!

Back to business...

After massive problems with the XPlane installation, missing mouse pointers ( unable to activate any switches with a phantom mouse on screen), problems with loading objects to start the sim and and and...

...and of course real life activities.

Installing/re-installing of XPlane beta and stable versions on three different discs, fixing plugins and scenery/library order to localize all errors cost a lot of time and nerves :( 

But now I have a stable system again...XP10.05...no beta at the moment.

so I unfortunately had to begin two days later with step3 but at the moment I'm in VECC Kolkata/Calcutta and at the beginning of step4. This means: raise out of the bed early in the morning to be sure to catch some daylight due to the new time difference.

All is well documented here and my next entry will be the missing résumé of step2 and step3.

One thing in advance...landing in Bombay/Mumbai not on VABB but on the near airfield VAJJ ended in a little desaster...I became a tree hugger and so I have to replace again my transportation vehicle with help of the famous Indian improvisation skills.

Another modernized Arrow ( in this case it is the new released JustFlight Piper PA28-R Arrow III)  was found quickly on nearby VABB airport and the travel could be continued. In memory of this route and the role of the elephant Kiouni in this stage of the journey there is a bit of change in the new livery :)

And there was another remarkable duplication of the historical events...more to come with the next posts...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Now...finally it's time to continue. Here are the last impressions before I touched Indian ground in Bombay/Mumbai but not at the main airport VABB but a few miles away to the coast at VAJJ Juhu airport.

What the followed see one post above...slight crash but time for a new plane.

bad atmosphere...India and it's problems

VAJJ has been a mistake

safe landings

Lem 

Résumé Step 2

And the some facts for step 2:

total flight duration: 31,8 hrs

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 6,8 hrs

- Cherokee Arrow III PA28R-200: 25 hrs

total distance: 3.809 nms

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 768 nms

- Cherokee Arrow III PA28R-200: 3.041 nms

total fuel consumption:

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 509 lbs

- Cherokee Arrow III PA28R-200: 1.525 lbs

average fuel consumption:  1,9 lbs/nms or 64,1 lbs/hr

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 1,5 lbs/nms or 75,5 lbs/hr

- Cherokee Arrow III PA28R-200: 2 lbs/nms or 61,2 lbs/hr

safe landings
Lem

Aloha!

*sight* a lot of real life time consuming activities prevented to present my updates by now accumulated but they are not forgotten.

I think it will be better to update the diary directly after the flight has been done so from today's segment I will work like that.

The missing parts ( step2 to step4) will be inserted later when done marked by the sign you see above...I hope that will not be irritating then :)

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

It's time to leave China and enter the southern part of Korea. Starting early in the morning at 7.00am local in ZSWZ  Wenzhou/Longwan it was again a flight with a lot of cloud coverage and not a pure fun for VFR. But it was necessary to choose a higher altitude first because to cross a larger mountainous area in the beginning to pass Shanghai. After that it's out to the East China Sea for a 300 miles hop over to South Korea and a landing at RKPC Jeju Intl on Jeju-Do Island ( with a bit of crosswinds as the whole flight was a windy one).

Tonight's ( here at home but early in the morning over there in Korea) last part will lead me to Tokyo ( Haneda Intl) with a short  30mins train passage to Yokohama.

*yaaawn* start preparations early in the morning

bright enough for departure

over the mountains in the southeast of China

ooops...14knts tailwind :) the benefits of a good equipment...knowing where you are and how you are :D

passing Shanghai airport

the last patch of soil of China

Jejo-Do Island ahead with the airport in the left coast area

The route here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uvwNomKYnI0dO3HbYGKcj6q2xTqki2HT&usp=sharing

and the Google Earth here

zswz_rkpc.kml

Aah, it's better to do the updates promply...still fresh in mind :)

save landings

Lem

Aloha!

Now the last passage within step5...three Souteast Asia countries in one step: China, South Korea and Japan, everything under the guardian of the lucky cat Maneki-neko :)

The segment between RKPC Jejo on the Korean island Jejo-Do and Tokyo's RJTT Haneda Intl airport needed a stopover for refuel on Kochi airport RJOK. The approach in Tokyo ended in the dark...again a late flight.

But weather was ok and Haneda is a fully equipped airport for all kind of landing variations. A short train ride to Yokohama, long sleep in a hotel...and then a little sightseeing in and over Tokyo tomorrow.

the day begins at RKPC Jejo

here we go

Japanese coast already

refuel at RJOK Kochi

Tokyo in the dark...

...and Haneda airport ahead

And the link to the route map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uvwNomKYnI0dO3HbYGKcj6q2xTqki2HT&usp=sharing

+ Google Earth:

rkpc_rjok.kml

rjok_rjtt.kml

This step needed a lot of scenery preparation between the flights...conversions from FSX sceneries and some individual and technical customizations...I like it more than the standard XPlane sceneries but Japan or Asia in general have some gaps there.

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

No more screenshots at night for the next great challeng...crossing the Pacific on the Aleutian Islands route :) too dangerous there with the expected weather situation...

As you will remember my Ryan Navion had a damage in Saudi Arabia and the plan was to transport it over to Tokyo as luggage in an Antonov on a planned transport flight after successful repairs.

So it has arrived here and now I am here with a second plane. What to do? Switch back to the Navion? Hmmm...thinking over and making new plans: with some of my contacts here in Tokyo I've been able to 

trade in both planes for another together with a small transport task ;) no, nothing illegal...and therefore I'm the owner of a nice Dornier Do228-100 now. The additional task is to make stop over at UHPP Yelizovo ( or Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky) 

and pick up a team of meteorological scientists for a passage to Vancouver. Ok, no problem, UHPP is on my planned stage for step6...and I will have the advantage of a larger, safer plane with a longer range...and an on-board toilet :D

First leg of today was RJTT Tokyo Haneda to RJCB Obihiro on Hokkaido Island for the last preparation to handle the Aleutian Islands crossing.

Upcoming weather did'nt promise much amusement...more wind and more chilling. But before leaving Tokyo a short sightseeing was mandatory.

the new bird...time enough for an appropriate livery including the cat ;)

enough space for the future passengers

Haneda in the back

...and some Tokyo 1

...and some Tokyo 2

...and 3

...and 4 from inside

number 5

...and 6

last!

very important! in the back... :)

uuuh, weather...

going north, going unpleasant

details outside

details inside

Hokkaido underneath

colder...and snow coming?

not the best outlooks...but there is RJCB Obihiro

Obihiro in range

and very close now :)

While the ground crew is preparing the plane for the way to Alaska I thinking to go to a Shinto shrine to sacrifice for better weather. Then a long sleep for tomorrow's adventure...

Itaira Shrine near Obihiro airport

The route map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q6up-ylNXWb2R-H58_W-FoBJ2cstSCDB&usp=sharing

and Google Earth:

rjtt_rjcb.kml

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Thank you, Heinz...PASY, hmm, I've some other challenges in front of me just now :) beginning to fly along the Kuril Islands and it's winter :D 

It's an exiting scenery and another snapshot day/night...

I'm on your tracks... ;) 

safe landings

Lem

vor 1 hour , Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

ah, the "new" DO228. very good ....

Aloha!

The release was a lucky moment to use it for the world tour...and a bit of phantasy to invent a reason flying with this one :) 

Aah, turbo prop sounds with a hell of reverser noise :D 

safe landings

Lem

Great screenshots of Do and Tokyo.  I hope you have a very good set of ear plugs.  The Do228 is one noisy bugger.:)  I do not envy anyone travelling for several hours exposed to that racket unprotected.  

vor 20 Stunden , Jeff W sagte:

Great screenshots of Do and Tokyo.  I hope you have a very good set of ear plugs.  The Do228 is one noisy bugger.:)  I do not envy anyone travelling for several hours exposed to that racket unprotected.  

Aloha!

Hmmm, reduced the internal Carenado sound down to appr. 15% :) that's far enough still to enjoy the reverser sound and the swirling engine sound outside.

And the following leg was a long one hopping along the Kurilian Islands to Kamchatka Peninsula, leaving Japan from RJCB Orihibo and landing in UHPP Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky or Yelizovo.

What happened overnight? Snow...as expected. But a sunny and not too freezy morning gave us a wonderful start, then a relative cloudy trip along all these fantastic Kurilian Islands, rocks and volcanos.

This ends at the former military airport Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky which is now a modernized including an extended runway. A long pause followed waiting for the research team before entering the Aleutes today together with my new passengers.

Sorry for that huge photo load now but the scenery is a bit unique together with the weather conditions.

snowy beginning in Obihiro

enjoying taxiing

right before takeoff

a morning to have fun

mile for mile...

...and mile

...and more miles

getting closer to Japan's norther end

the last hills

from inside

End of Japan  :) 

and leaving Japan at Hokkaido's most northern edge

Russia ahead...Kurilian Islands

доброе утро Россия...dobroye utro Rossiya

looks like the first volcano

here we are

this is not Santoriin in Greece...

more gateways of hell

with some smaller and larger ones

weather situation was ok for photo sessions from 6000fts

scattered clouds

more from the Ring of Fire

there most be more than 20 islands from different size

and arrived on Kamchatka Peninsula 

UHPP at the end of the bay as dark patch

the old taxiway is now the new runway 16/34

...and still snow but comfortable -3°C

The meteorological situation won't change for the better until Alaska on the contrary I expect more wind and snow and lower temperature. But I will see today what happens.

The route map:

and Google Earth:

rjcb_uhpp.kml

safe landings

Lem

Hey Lem,

I'm enjoying your flights and screen shots!  It's fun to see similar places to where I flew in X-Plane scenery.  That gives me a good comparison to how they look with my FSX with ORBX scenery.

I intentionally got out of the far north ASAP, knowing the good weather window was getting short.  Just to encourage you I'll add.  We're having very temperate weather down here in the western part of the US.  In fact I've seen almost cloudless days on more than one occasion!  I'm sure you'll encounter the same soon!  The one shot I included here is near Mt. Whitney at 14,500'.  I've seen this sort of weather a lot lately!:D

Happy Flying!;)

Rupert

vor 9 Stunden , rupert sagte:

Hey Lem,

I'm enjoying your flights and screen shots!  It's fun to see similar places to where I flew in X-Plane scenery.  That gives me a good comparison to how they look with my FSX with ORBX scenery.

I intentionally got out of the far north ASAP, knowing the good weather window was getting short.  Just to encourage you I'll add.  We're having very temperate weather down here in the western part of the US.  In fact I've seen almost cloudless days on more than one occasion!  I'm sure you'll encounter the same soon!  The one shot I included here is near Mt. Whitney at 14,500'.  I've seen this sort of weather a lot lately!:D

Happy Flying!;)

Rupert

Aloha Rupert!

Thank you! I'm on my way to Alaska and following the Aleutian Islands tonight ( 2.00am here at home :)  but 3:00pm local onboard). I decided not to do an island hopping but to cross the Pacific as fast as possible. So I let the Garmin do the job and I can sleep for 2hrs meanwhile and then check the flight status *yaaawn* ;) 

I need one stop in about 2hrs at PADU Dutch Harbour...so I will have a short rest on my couch now...

I'll be glad to get back over firm ground for more enjoyable views like on your pic. Then I'll stay awake and do several night shifts for the cross country passages :) 

Btw it looks like passing the mountain peak in a very close distance ôÔ 

safe landings

Lem

15 hours ago, quaxpilot said:

Aloha Rupert!

Thank you! I'm on my way to Alaska and following the Aleutian Islands tonight ( 2.00am here at home :)  but 3:00pm local onboard). I decided not to do an island hopping but to cross the Pacific as fast as possible. So I let the Garmin do the job and I can sleep for 2hrs meanwhile and then check the flight status *yaaawn* ;) 

I need one stop in about 2hrs at PADU Dutch Harbour...so I will have a short rest on my couch now...

I'll be glad to get back over firm ground for more enjoyable views like on your pic. Then I'll stay awake and do several night shifts for the cross country passages :) 

Btw it looks like passing the mountain peak in a very close distance ôÔ 

safe landings

Lem

You're right!  I was at 14,500' and as I recall the mountain is listed at 14,900'.  I saw that little crag on the left of the peak and thought it would make a neat screenshot so I just aimed for it rather than climb over.  That's part of the fun of simming.  I can take risks like that and not get hurt!!:P  Just recently I flew through the large hanger at Moffet Field doing about 200knts.  RW: Today a stunt like that probably would have gotten you grounded for the rest of your life!!!:o

BTW: I got the idea of flying through a hanger from the Jet Jockeys at MCAS El Toro Ca. who flew their F-4s through our blimp hangers at MCAF Santa Ana a few times.  Of course with a war going on and the US needing lots of trained cannon fodder we all got away with a lot of stuff that probably would have ruined our career any other time!:) 

They finally had to post instructions that one end of each of the hangers at MCAF must have the doors closed at all times.  They never found another way to stop the silliness!!  AND YES WHEN A F-4 FLIES THROUGH A HANGER IT GETS VERY VERY LOUD IN THERE!!!!   :wacko:

Rupert

On 22.11.2017 at 17:27, rupert sagte:

I can take risks like that and not get hurt!!:P  Just recently I flew through the large hanger at Moffet Field doing about 200knts.  RW: Today a stunt like that probably would have gotten you grounded for the rest of your life!!!:o

Aloha!

Thsi hazard during our world tour? Quite reckless... B) 

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Flying to Dutch Harbour PADU has been cancelled due to upcoming weather and darkness...airports without extensive landing support for night landings...ouch... :) 

So PASY Earecson As became my alternate target. Due to it's military status I have to ask for an exception and the controler had some sympather for my situation and wanted to support our challenge tour ;) 

And the wind here...already 27kts cross... :( 

the new goal...one of these several rock dots on the route

darkness at 7.00h local at UHPP departure

sunrise makes it better

still it looks like a enjoyable flight

oops...accidentally shift+5 in XPlanes camera views showed this :) 

getting closer to the alternate targe PASY

not here! this is only an emergency solution without any support

this is PASY

and down...

and safe :) 

and the map: