quaxpilot

quaxpilot

Aloha!

Crossing the Alpes at a nearly safe level of about 12000ft with my oxy masks because of really bad visibility most of the time I've dropped into Italy near Torino. Near LILH Voghera my sim crashed without any warnings.

So I decided to make another unplanned unforced error stop and took advantage of the opportunity for a little food break...pasta and tomato sauce :D 

Now about 5:00pm local time the adventure goes on...Brinisi looks like a night landing again :(

Getting closer to Italy the weather improves...

Please login to display this image.

Vor 1 Stunde, Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

Nice video .... 

I will land in Turin in about 1 and a half hour I think ...

Tell me where yiu are in Turin... May be i will come along for a little drink :)

Greets Heinz

Heinz,

sorry but I flew alongside Torino more into southern Lombardia direction...next stop we may organize :)

safe landings

Lem

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha!

and again...I think this is now the correct channel address ( and not the one from every single stream). There you might see if a live stream is running and have to click...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5figoHHDGq1KryRzdD45Kw

The good times of a VHS tape have passed :(

safe landings

Lem

14 hours ago, quaxpilot said:

Aloha!

Finished for tonight...on LFLL but without any scenery :D there is only one 737 from Alaska Airways standing around...but no hangars and terminals..strange...or is it the result of the night flight with some hallucinations?

Before I will start this morning I have to find a scenery for Lyon...

good night

Lem

Think you just missed my virtual TAP 737. Left LFLL to LIML 1 hour before you arrived there.

I slept in Linate airport and it was empty also...

Didn`t know about Velocity V-Twin existence.
I had a look in their page and you could by one and built it yourself.
Cool stuff!!!
Have a nice flight.
Nuno.

Aloha!

Yes, that was close :) but I decided to stay there at night and not flying a risky leg over the Alpes. Today it wasn't much better with clouds and dense overcast :( no fantastic view of Alpes' panorama except at the end reaching Aosta valley.

V-Twin is a nice flyer for XP11 with a lot of new navigation equipment, easy to handle good performance, good sounds too.

Have a nice flight too, Nuno!

Now I'm close to Mare Adriatico and it' getting darker and darker, flying along until Brindisi...about 430nms. LIBR is open 24hrs...thanks God :)

Here is Rimini, Germany's dream of exotic vacations during the 60's :D

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Brindisi approach about 9:40pm local time...but not so tired as last night in France :) 

Again the conditions for a nice VFR flight were not so favourable. Low visibilty and because of the late start I it went on again until the evening and breaking darkness.

But without any major problems I could park my "little red Corvette" in the most remote place of Brindisi airport LIBR.

The nice view of this town convinced me to check some trattorias before going to sleep.

Tomorrows leg will be along the Greece coast and I tend to make a stop on Crete.

Brindisi...

...here we come!

small planes, dark corners :( 

good night and safe landings
Lem

oops, the tracks...

lfll_lilh_simcrash.kml

lilh_libr.kml

Aloha!

What a desaster! More than two days lost...because Jane Passepartout grabbed my plane and away she was. I should have been warned when she left Brindisi's nightlife so early.

But I don't understand her motives...maybe it would we should have stopped in Paris because of the shoes... :( I wonder where both will show up again and what the plans are...

Ok, that's history, that's over...time enough to finish the first step to Suez.

After a couple of telephone calls, some bureaucracy, hirering some helping hands for a quick paint job ( in this case it was an Italian job...) and with the help of Ebay and PayPal I found

a new equipment to continue the tour...in another class yet: pre-1970:

It was a cheap occasion and instantly available:

Ryan Navion Super 260 ( one man, one prop), upgraded with a bit more modern avionik, 

Not as comfortable as the Velocity, less range = more stops, but a solid workhorse in good technical condition.

The colour is...getting used to but black is always a classy look for a vehicle. And I think I will again have a couple of night activities

o it's better it's better if you don't always stand out immediately :) ( and this paint was just available).

Now a short sleep, then it starts heading for Iraklion.

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

And another night of the props...

This time with an aircraf I haven't used before but some start and landing tests. So the next thrilling part of the trip began around midnight local time with the take off in LBRI Brindisi with the destination LGIR Iraklion on Crete.

Ok, as expected I ran into some minor issues like forgetting to set alt hold during climb or activate navigation when switching around nav1/2 and gps...but at least everything went fine. The cabin of the Ryan has unfortunately a poor illumination

and this was the result of some wrong clicks and turning switches :) ( the best thing was to use the emergency fuel shutdown instead switching the fuel tanks....).

With one exception: I had to land at LGSA Khania Souda on Crete because of the lack of experience with fuel consumption of the Ryan Navion. So to be save I switched from LGIR to LGSA ( open 24hrs...) to come down with 19 lbs rest fuel.

Again after a long night raid I fnished around 4.40am happy to see a bed right after landing and preparing the flyer for the next day.

But I had to sleep more than the last days and spent the day with some Greece cultural sightseeing and relaxing. So tomorrow will be a daylight flight finally to finish step 1 of the tour in Suez.

Then I will be able to enjoy some more screenshots where you can see more than dark silhouttes and lanterns.

arrividerci Italy

they only come out at night...

no Minotaurs around...time to relax in Khania

safe landings

Lem

libr_lgsa.kml

Aloha!

My last hours in Europe...ready to rush over to Africa's coast to see Cairo.

It's about 2.00pm local time, weather is fine here on Crete, 27°C, few clouds, visibility 32kms, wind about 10kts.

Fuel loaded, YT-stream is running, SimBuddy test is running...camera, lights, action :) like catstrator does his take offs

safe landings

Lem

vor 24 Minuten, Delps sagte:

Good luck! And enjoy!

I leave for Cairo tomorrow. Meet you for a beer :) 

Aloha!

Yes, Delps...step 1 finished = time for a beer in Cairo :) and then the rest of the way to Suez via camel riding :D

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

I can't believe it! A flight during daylight so I could enjoy the scenery...except for 230 miles crossing the Mediterrenean Sea. Some wind, some rain, some clouds but an enjoyable trip.

Cairo has been delayed to tommorow. On my route I used to stop in Mersa Martruh HEMM to refuel and wait for the next day. It was getting too dark and I would like to fly the route along the Suez Canal during daylight.

Some pics from today without flashlight or nightvision ;)

departure from Khania Souda

glad to fly over the Crete landscape not at night

oops! weather...

always nice to have: the manual pinned to the dashboard

on a sailing boat I would feel some upcoming fear...

the coast of Africa is near with Mersa Matruh ahead

and here we are...wide horizon

...and there are only

...coming soon in this theater :D

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Walk like an Egyptian would be better than fly like...cloudy morning about 10am in Mersa Matruh HEMM, not too perferct for VFR along the Suez Canal or see the Pyramids but I should be the last leg for step 1 today...Cairo HECA and then a detour toSuez by bus to complete Fogg's route ;)

Fuel loaded, the most distant runway :( to go, SimBuddy and YT-stream running...here I go!

safe landings

Lem

vor 41 Minuten, harrry sagte:

ddid you use this plan to build yours?

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=586

Aloha!

No, this is a payware addon

http://www.vflyteair.com/ryan-navion.php

I've detected this one after we start our race and the Velocity V-Twin was my choice. I don't know why I didn't notice it before.

It's a nice GA flyer with some differences from the others that I normally use...and a nice shape :)

vFlyteAir has some nice products with a very acceptable price for their quality + excellent support.

Yes, I saw this plan when I was looking for some more facts of this aircraft.

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Grrr...I think the last Falafel caused some problems. Unplanned stop in Port Said HEPS but ok to refuel to continue. Or should I follow Madness and take the night boat to Cairo? ;) 

noooo...it could be the end of the trip...

...and the NIle is too far away. The weather is ok...sunny with 32°C, best conditions to follow the Canal until Cairo.

Engines running...

safe landings

Lem

• Administrator

Hey Lem,

Now you are landed in Port Said.
When do you want to continue?
Perhaps I still come to Port Said today.
If I do not stay on Mykonos one day.
.... Greek wine ..... :)

Greets Heinz

vor 6 Minuten, harrry sagte:

Wind has picked up there....I am about 6hrs ahead of you and it was only about 5 kts when I left.

Aloha!

Just checked ventusky.com and navfinder...about 6knts...that's ok :) ty

Will do some turns over the Pyramids before landing...

safe landings

Lem

vor 5 Minuten, Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

Hey Lem,

Now you are landed in Port Said.
When do you want to continue?
Perhaps I still come to Port Said today.
If I do not stay on Mykonos one day.
.... Greek wine ..... :)

Greets Heinz

Aloha!

I missed the wine :( ,,,

Port Said was an unplanned stop...toilet...fuel...30 mins and then take off...I'm just flying along Suez Canal and will now turn right to Cairo and the Pyramids :)

You can check SimBuddy for my flight :D

safe landings

Lem

Have a good night in Cairo and behave yourselves.  I amdoing the Aden run now. it started as a test of duration but I decided to go all the way to Aden anywaay.   Will probably do it again tomorrow to keep with the route timings.

vor 6 Minuten, harrry sagte:

Have a good night in Cairo and behave yourselves.  I amdoing the Aden run now. it started as a test of duration but I decided to go all the way to Aden anywaay.   Will probably do it again tomorrow to keep with the route timings.

Aden? Ok :) but isn't it Oct 10 to start with step 2?

30 miles to Cairo... ;)

Lem

yes

that is why I will do it again...ok not tomorrow....the next day.  I am doing this by the book...going to the places and sticking to the times.  No fun just doing the straight round like many are doing.

I reead the book and am sticking right to the route. I really wanted to get a long range check on what this bird can do.just under 300 miles to go now.

Archived