quaxpilot

quaxpilot

vor 6 Minuten, harrry sagte:

yes

that is why I will do it again...ok not tomorrow....the next day.  I am doing this by the book...going to the places and sticking to the times.  No fun just doing the straight round like many are doing.

I reead the book and am sticking right to the route.

ah, ok...this week was a bit too packed with other real life stuff so I couldn't really focus on the original Fogg story :( ...for the next steps I try to follow it in parallel...

Lem

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha!

Ahhhh! Finish! Cairo's noisy arms have clutching me...after a nice sightseeing along the Canal, across the desert, around the Sphinx and Pyramids I've landed on Cairo Intl. HECA.

Now it's time to look for a transport to Suez to keep on the tracks of Phileas and Passepartout. And carry on with step 2 of the journey next week.

Ooops...upload limit...I think I will link some pics...sorry for the gigantic previews... ;) but there plenty of photo motifs today.

I will create some online albums later for every step on my website.

Please login to display this image.

take off HEMM Mersa Matruh

please! no motor problems...

Port Said HEPS clear to land

short stop and away for the final miles

Suez Canal entrance

always interesting spots along the Canal...next time I have to activate ships and boats in X-Plane ;)

the Great Bitter Lake...time for a right turn to Cairo

the green belt along the Canal turns into desert

yeah! Cairo with HECA on the right and the Pyramids on the horizon

HECA must wait...culture first

more visitors via heli...no collision on the last miles, please

last view

ok, didn't find the GA area...but happy to finish step 1

...but now it's time to hurry for the bus to Suez...

pffff...that was close but I had to change my clothes first :D

Now one day left to prepare step 2...this will be a hard one...and 13 days.

safe landings

Lem

...and the routes...

hemm_heps.kml

heps_heca.kml

vor 11 Stunden , Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

Hey Lem,

wo hast Du denn die tollen "alten" Karten her?

Sieht ja gut aus ....

Gruß Heinz

Aloha!

Suchmaschiniert nach "vintage travel posters free" :)  das Flugzeuggestrichel ist Photoshop.

Da du ja erweiterte Rechte hast: koenntest du bitte den angefangenen post mit diesen Plakaten rauswerfen...ich mache jetzt ein neues komplettes Résumé :) habe alle Daten zusammen, die dort reinkommen. Danke!

safe landings

Lem

Résumé Step 1

And now some facts collected from all legs of step 1:

total flight duration: 26 hrs 15 mins

- Veloctiy V-Twin: 11 hrs 45 min

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 14 hrs 30 mins

total distance: 2.456 nms

- Velocity V-Twin: 1.155 nms

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 1.301 nms

total fuel consumption: 1.651 lbs

- Velocity V-Twin: 725 lbs

- Ryan Navion Super 260: 926 lbs

average fuel consumption: 62,9 lbs/h or 1,5 lbs/nms

- Velocity V-Twin: 61,7 lbs/h or 1,6 lbs/nms

-Ryan Navion Super 260: 63,9 lbs/h or 1,4 lbs/nms

hmmm...I thinks these are the most important facts I've collected from the nice TinyFlight tool. A couple of data is hard to analyze because I don't know how to transfer it to a spreadsheet without rewriting manually...too many data :(

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

I have lost almost two days due to technical problems with the machine and some differences with the law. after some bakschisch here and a few dollars there for the mechanics I decided to start now about 5.00pm local time from Cairo. It's getting dark but I like to reach Hurghada HEGN today.

Wind expected in HEGN: 19 knts...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

A short progress...dark, dark, dark...reaching Hurghada HEGN.

Almost crashed into a mountain some minutes after takeoff ( dark as inside Aladins miracle lamp) and zig-zag landing course at the end ( the scenery I've loaded has no navigation support).

leaving Cairo HECA

sundown

ahhh! not far away now

...and inches to go

heca_hegn.kml

And another night in an airport hotel...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Omg...thank you all for very nice reactions...it will be a great incentive to continue... :D

@Jeff W: yes, Ryan Navion itself is a nice flyer but the history of the black livery is my fortunate to do a lot of nightflights in the beginning due to real life limits ;) for my other planes in this story I preferred my identical red livery but the "stolen" ;) V-Twin also was a good reason to switch on a "Black Knight"...

@kalizzi: oh, I think all the participants in this "race" do their best and every diary has it's pros and cons...for me personally I have tendency to play with grafix and photography...in this case it's a simple screenshot and I have to back off not to start Photoshop and "manipulate" them ;) the pics are out-of-the-XPlane-box...

@ DaveLTB: the old posters...yes, I didn't want to use simple flags for my travel route...but after I did my graphics and was checking out the other diaries while flying my segments I had a closer look here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/127390-fantastic-trippe/

...and I swear: I didn't copy this idea :(  sorry MM for the same idea...

I'm desperately thinking about another "style" for the next step-résumé... :)

Now...it's time to start the next part of step2...leaving Hurghada HEGN on my way to Jeddah OEJN. I was struggling yesterday and this morning with my disappearing mouse pointer on the XPlane screen...and I think I managed it ( the essential FlyWithLua plugin should be the evil one...) so ac complete re-installation of the plugin directory seems to solve the problem. And this happens together with the XPlane 11.10beta installation ;) 

Takeoff in some minutes...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

I'm still soaked in sweat...and not because of the 30°C outside. I donated 10 camels to a charity after this flight...

First I had to stop unexpectedly in Marsa Alam HEMA. Mouse problems again ( big GRRRRR...) but thankfully I was near this airport at that moment.

Leaving Marsa Alam HEMA continues with a very spiritless engine which refused to start. After a while in the late afternoon my takeoff was successful to my way to Jeddah OEJN. First on the western coast of the Red Sea then crossing it to continue on the Saudi Arabian side.

And again it was getting darker and darker...a rapid break-in of the night as usual here.

All was prepared for a regular landing at Jeddah Intl but then...performance loss...fuel flow going down and down, RPM the same...arrrgh! No more time to use RW34 so direct way to RW16 and emergency landing in coordination with ground control ( Jeddah, we have a problem...).

And the little black devil made it!  Touchdown...and the rest of the way to the apron hung on the hook...I'm afraid this will be another day in the workshop.

HEGN Hurghada...all war running fine

might have been a good flight...looks a bit like an UPS flyer :D

after the HEMA stop the Red Sea crossing began

pffff...not far away anymore...safe! look at the engine display on the right...

the Royal Saudi Arabian Breakdown Service :)

poor little birdy...get well soon

hegn_hema.kml

hema_oejn.kml

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

To make a long story short...the Ryan Navion is history :( too sad but the engine problems maybe caused by the desert sand would have taken too much time due to missing parts and delivering new ones. This could have been the end of the race.

So...shopping in Saudi Arabia is an easy way. You need a plane? Ok, here a some...what do you like?

I decided to pick up a used Cherokee Arrow III PA28R-200, not too many operation hours in an acceptable condition. A little paint here and there...ready to go.

Finally leaving Jeddah OEJN around 6.00pm local time going south along the Red Sea for the next stop OEGN King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz ( a couple of airports here around have an "Abdulaziz" in their name :) ) , a trip of about 350nms...aaand again night landing :(

not new but mine :)

safe landings

Lem

vor 2 Stunden , Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

... und hast Du noch etwas für die Navion bekommen .... ? 

Did you get some money (or something else) for the Navion? A couple of Camels?

Gruß Heinz

:D no! she is my tiny black little monster. They will fix it in Jeddah and at the end of the week an Antonov An-225 on it's way to Tokyo will take it as carry-on baggage. I need this flyer for my Aleuten passage :)

Meanwhile I'm in OEGN King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz. Short stop, refuel myself and the machine ( again around 30°C...) and it smells like another night trip. I have to get back some of the time I've lost. Aden OYAA will be the last target for today.

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Yessss! Aden OYAA reached without problems at about 1:15am local time ( with a special approval for this clock time). For this nightflight I've avoided the route via Taizz across the mountain range at the eastern corner of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

Now I'm more optimistic to reach Bombay/Mumbai within the time limit. But some hard and long runs are still ahead.

leaving Jeddah OEJN late afternoon

still a nice view towards the Red Sea across the desert

on the other side high terrain

darker...

...and darker...

pit stop in OEGN King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz

...and really really dark :)

my only panorama :( 

made for the 8...OYAA Aden

oejn_oegn.kml

oegn_oyaa.kml

safe landings

Lem

On 9/15/2017 at 6:57 PM, quaxpilot said:

Aloha!

*sigh* I'm of two minds now because of the most recent developments...

Should I stay with my historic solution and fly the Piper Twin or...

...switch over to a ultramodern-hyper-dyper-super-duper-nerdy Velocity V-Twin from Aerobasque which just has been delivered to me as a self-assembly kit ;)

There's a lot of time to mount it and repaint it like the Piper...I'm divided.

The performance flying with economic cruise speed is nearly the same for range but it's faster...and more luxurious :) maybe one of the large screens is prepared for TV reception for boring long distance route legs :D

...and Velocity is not a synonym for Münster as a velo-city ;) 

Maybe I will decide it on the last day and have both prepared...

safe landings

Lem

I would pick the Velocity! Sweet looking ride!

vor 3 Stunden , nmetheny sagte:

I would pick the Velocity! Sweet looking ride!

Aloha! 

The V-Twin was stolen... ;) see the story :) ..:

I must take the flyers available. 

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

A day of the tour which let me end my stay in Yemen. At 11.00am I left Aden OYAA behind flying to my next stop at Mukalla OYRN, a small airport and the last one in Yemen.

Check and fuel for the Arrow and off to the first stop in Oman at Salalah OOSA.

Unhappily all the airport sceneries in XPlane that I've found or better "not" found are very simple or like OOSA...not there. OOSA is a runway and a taxiway. And I had no time to build a more or less acceptable one.

New test for a slideshow ( I hope it works...)

No, it doesn't :( ok, single pics...

start at Aden OYAA on RW08

last view back over Aden

*sigh* not varying too much what happens outside...

...but nevertheless impressive in VFR

again an identical airport scenery but it's only for a short stop in Mukalla OYRN

more of Yemen's range of hills along the coast

...with some curious details :)

behind this cape Salalah OOSA is waiting with bed&breadfast

and it's time...the quick darkness

...Salalah OOSA not far...that was the day

oyaa_oyrn.kml

oyrn_oosa.kml

save landings

Lem

Aloha!

Big step today...for step2: Salalah OOSA to Masirah OOMA to Gwadar OPGD > leaving Oman and Africa and...hello Asia, here I come!

It was a non-spectacular flight with some nice spots to view but most of it was boring desert or a long passage across the Gulf of Oman...in the dark :) crossing the Tropic of Cancer ( again...and this will be repeated tomorrow from north to south on the last route to Mumbai/Bombay).

I was glad to have a good connection to the Sultan of Oman, His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Sa’id Al‘ Sa’id. So in his position as the defense minister he gave me the permission to make a stop over at OOMA Masirah which is an RAF Oman airbase only ( and in XPlane an empty place 

with two runways, some taxiways and a beacon :D ...had to rent a fuel truck from the local fuel station.

But some friendly community member submitted a nice freeware scenery for Gwadar OPGD in July...what a luck!

Still some pictures...

some interesting scenic formations

leaving the island with Masirah airport OOMA

some minutes before blue hour...still a bit reddish

okay...for my nightly landings I have some help from Navigraph not to miss the approach ;) 

oosa_ooma.kml

ooma_opgd.kml

safe landings
Lem

Hi Lem, interested to see you using the interactive Navigraph charts facility. I'd forgotten that had been introduced and up until the beginning of this week I'd just been using the standard app on my iPad mini. I've now got a 2nd monitor up and running where I can use either Navigraph or Plan-G.

good log as ever and brilliant screen shots. I arrived in Bombay yesterday and have some down time till the next stage next week.

vor 22 Stunden , Heinz Flichtbeil sagte:

Hi Lem,

i hope, I get a permission for Masirah too :)

Or I will fly from Salalah to Mumbai directly using my extra fueltanks...

Greets Heinz

Aloha!

Great challenge! But you will miss the fantastic landscape of the mountain range near the coast between Gwadar and Karachi.

I made a special photo tour there :) today when I'm at home again I will update my diary...not too much time at the moment :(

safe landings

Lem

Archived