quaxpilot

quaxpilot

Aloha!

My choice as an X-Plane flyer is the

Piper PA30 Twin Comanche

and should be classified as a historical flyer.

Still waiting for a ferry from California to London...

Please login to display this image.

First leg stored...EGLC - HEPS...

And I think about a special livery for this event. Do we have an "official" logo for this challenge? ;)

safe landings

Lem

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha!

Danke, Heinz! Endlich muss ich mir mal nicht selber was ausdenken, um nicht nur einfach herumzufliegen :) 

Damit kann ich auch meine eigene Ostwärts-Weltumrundung ad acta legen...die ersten Kilometer von Dortmund nach Dubai hatte ich zwar schon, aber danach lag das Projekt auf Eis...jetzt mache ich lieber hier weiter. Da ist die Motivation doch weitaus höher :D

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Meanwhile my little Indian arrived in London at City Airport EGLC. This should be the closest airport to the Reform Club, 104 Pall Mall in London where the story began in October 1872.

I started a quick&dirty livery for our race with a little "logo" ;) which is not ready yet. I think about sthg to fill the gaps between the two text lines. Maybe I will draw the stripe through these gaps and that's it...tomorrow. Inspiration came from the little round pic in our club title screen :)

If anyone is interested to pimp up a livery feel free: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqmu6qurd69t8vt/logo.png?dl=0

safe landings

Lem

• Administrator

Hello Lem,

ich finde es gut das Logo. Habe es mir mal heruntergeladen und auf meine Cirrus malen lassen. 

Gefällt mir. Die Freiräume zwischen den Textzeilen sind nicht schlimm finde ich.

Mal sehen, was Du noch draus machst ...

Letzlich muss sicher Mathijs sagen, ob wir das Logo verwenden wollen ....

Auf meiner Cirrus sieht es so aus wie hier dargestellt.

Gruß Heinz

Aloha!

Prepared to go to London from my base airport EDLM, still a few things to stow on the backseat...grrr looks like typical british weather...final logo version included and livery nearly completed.

for everybody who wants to use the final logo: 

logo_final

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Sooo...visual preparation are finished. I'm quite happy with my new livery combination of realworld aircraft and own modifications.

My intentions for the flight:

I will follow the intructions from the plane's handbook part of performance specifications to fly with about 50-55% Power to cover a maximum distance up to an airport in this range.

For my flightplanning I will use a map like SkyVector to prepare a leg alongside VORs or NDBs close to Phileas Fogg's original route. First part London - Cairo is already scheduled.

I would like to fly VFR as often as possible depending on weather and terrain. But 8-9 hrs flight without sleep are nearly possible so for a short recovery I will switch to a safe GPS controlled route.

Maybe I will stream most of the flight on my YT-channel and do a lot a screenshots for a cloud based photo collection ( with best results here in the diary :) ).

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Here my first stage EGLC -> HECA ( which is the nearest airport to Port Suez. Quick&dirty with SkyVector for rought orientation. Now I've to calculate the partial distances to find a nearby airport for my stopovers.

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

*sigh* I'm of two minds now because of the most recent developments...

Should I stay with my historic solution and fly the Piper Twin or...

...switch over to a ultramodern-hyper-dyper-super-duper-nerdy Velocity V-Twin from Aerobasque which just has been delivered to me as a self-assembly kit ;)

There's a lot of time to mount it and repaint it like the Piper...I'm divided.

The performance flying with economic cruise speed is nearly the same for range but it's faster...and more luxurious :) maybe one of the large screens is prepared for TV reception for boring long distance route legs :D

...and Velocity is not a synonym for Münster as a velo-city ;) 

Maybe I will decide it on the last day and have both prepared...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Visual preparations have reached an advanced stage. My paint shop crew was busy with tricky paintings without any paintkit...awful pixel poker...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Finally...paintings are done and the the saddler of my choice made a suitable interior...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

First...modified my nickname to appear like in the two other forums I visit regularly...it's more an act of bureaucracie ;)

Now I am pleased to introduce my new companion to you...Miss Jane Passepartout, the 3rd-great-granddaughter ( or sthg. like this...) of Jean Passepartout.

I am glad to hire her for this tour as she works in the same profession like her ancestor...and she has a flight license... ;)  

My payload allows me to pick up an additional passenger + luggage. And it won't get sooo boring on the long parts of the flight.

...this picture doesn't represent the real crew

Yesterday I transfered the first of my flyers from my homebase Marl EDLM to my later starting airport London City EGLC with an almost 2,5 hrs flight.

shortly after the start: Scholven powerplant as a remarkable landmark

Europe left behind...here is the British coast near Dover ;)

swinging London and it's default weather

EGLC will be the start of the race for me

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Meanwhile my second flyer has arrived in London as well. To spend the leisure time until October 2nd I've rented an ordinary SUV ( sophisticated upperclass vehicle) for some sightseeing in and around London and to visit The Reform Club... ;)  It's not the white one in the background...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Just in time...whole route completed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o3wMvut7p__08c0iODqem93FP2k&usp=sharing

or for Google Earth check the kml-file.

As I've written before this route is for VOR navigation as much as possible and for the remaining sections I will us GPS . The main part will be done via VFR.

Calculations for stopover airports for refueling or sleep time ;)  will be done when starting every new leg according to the steps in the official rule book.

safe landings

Lem

EGLCEGLL.kml

Aloha!

Arrrgh! Countdown is ticking down...

The latest facts before we start:

the system

--------------------------

AMD 8350

32 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Windows 10

my old Saitek Cyborg stick ( maybe I will attach my CH Eclipse Yoke the next days which is still lying around here for weeks...)

the sim

--------------------------

X-Plane 11.05r2 (build 110501 64-bit)

sceneries payware and freeware as much as possible ;)

airplane Velocity V-Twin from Aerobask

SkyMaxx Pro v4.6 with RealWeatherConnector v1.1

additional FS Global Real Weather ( for "real" weather :D )

Airacs by NaviGraph and moving map with Charts Cloud or on a second laptop Little Navmap which runs FSGRW also

For flightplanning normally I use Simbrief and Skyvector for adhoc infos and click-and-fly.

So my event route is search-and-clicked with Skyvector and transferred to Simbrief manually to create kml- and other files ( incl. some differences between the both systems).

Some airports appearing on the route are for orientation/navigation only. As far as possible I will try VFR supported by VOR navigation and GPS for safe out-of-cockpit parts ;)

My route is published on our shared Google Map step by step...and here as kml-file for Google Earth.

YT streaming on my channel DeltaFoxtrot https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5figoHHDGq1KryRzdD45Kw

as often as possible.

safe landings and a lot of fun

Lem

EGLCHECA.kml

Aloha!

And here we go! Jane and I have just arrived at London City Airport coming from the Reform Club and just entered our well prepared flyer. Last check for fuel and oxy...ok! It's about 8.50pm now.

Current weather data from FSGRW: wind 270/014, no rain, view 30 kms, overcast broken at 3200ft/scattered at 4100ft, pressure 29,98in, temp 15°/TP 8°

Omg I'm nervous...

Take off at 9.18pm using SID DVR5T here for a safe and not to disturb the neighbourhood ;)

more to come...just crossing the Channel.

Lem

Aloha...yaaawn!

What a night! Glad to have Jane on the FO seat...nearly 3 hrs in the air after a long day so she keeps me awake with her anger at not being able to buy shoes in paris...because we just fly along this wonderful town on a western route.

But nothing more to see than the city lights...a night in Paris...or more at 4000 ft...how romantic! I'm the only viewer of my livestream so it's better to show a current pic from the flight :)

I think I will change my plan a little bit and make a stop over in Lyon LFLL. This airport is still open so I can manage the Alpes tomorrow morning at daylight. It's time enough to finish step 1...

safe landings

Lem

Aloha!

Finished for tonight...on LFLL but without any scenery :D there is only one 737 from Alaska Airways standing around...but no hangars and terminals..strange...or is it the result of the night flight with some hallucinations?

Before I will start this morning I have to find a scenery for Lyon...

good night

Lem

Aloha!

Day 2 began...with the building up a scenery for LFLL Lyon as a combination of two different sceneries. My unplanned stop last night made me stranded on an empty airport with runways, taxiways, aprons but no buildings :(

But now after a long sleep and new energy it's time to continue. Weather looks really awful here in Lyon at the moment so I'm curious how it's going to cross the Alpes to carry on with the Italian part of the route. Brindisi will be the goal.

wind 020/012 - no rain - clouds few 1000ft/scattered 1600ft/few 2000ft/overcast 5300ft - 16°/TP 13° - press 30,18in - visibility 28km

safe landings

Lem

oops, forgot yesterday's route recorded with this nice Tiny Flight Tracker ( thx for the advice...) 

eglc_lfll.kml

Archived