Simconnect Installation Error, help please...

AngelAvila191

My recently installed A318/A319 package (v 1.31) was not working normally so I went to check my Simconnect installation. The aircraft was unresponsive, the right MCDU was grey, and the aircraft did not start at dark and cold.

My first intention was to check the SimConnect.msi file, but during my installation it reached an error and canceled it. I don't know what I'm suppose to do now, but I would like to have any suggestions.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

What version of the sim are you running?  Also, doing a simple web search for the title of the dialog box you posted will get you going in the right direction.

SimConnect version 10.0.60905.0 is the original version of SimConnect that came with the original FSX (before Service Pack 2, and before FSX Acceleration.  Everyone should be running FSX:SP2, FSX Acceleration, or FSX Steam (FSX:SE), which is to say that there is absolutely no reason to be running a version of FSX prior to FSX:SP2.

General, but relevant information:  Note that FSX:SE is in reality FSX Acceleration that has been updated by DoveTail Games, thus it is the most updated version of FSX.  FSX:SE can often be found on sale via Steam for $5, so there is really no reason that everyone shouldn't be running this version if they choose to stay with FSX. It's better, faster, and much more stable than any previous version of FSX.  Period.

SimConnect Version 10.0.61259.0 is for FSX:SP2 and/or Acceleration.  Note please that while Service Pack 2 must be manually installed for FSX (Not FSX:SE), Service Pack 2 is automatically included/installed with FSX Acceleration.  FSX Steam uses a slightly updated version of SimConnect. The FSX:SE version number is 10.0.62608.0.

So...

FSX:                                   10.0.60905.0

FSX SP1:                           10.0.61242.0

FSX SP2 & Acceleration: 10.0.61259.0

FSX:SE:                             10.0.62608.0

You get another version then it's either for ESP (base program for FSX, P3D, FSW) or P3D.

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS:

1. Are there other versions of SimConnect?  Yes, there are versions for ESP (the software from which FSX, P3D and FSW come from), but they are not required for FSX.

2. Can I have more than one version of SimConnect?  Absolutely, we do this all the time with P3D in order to be able to run legacy software or software developed for a particular version of SimConnect in the Simulator.

3. Why are there so many versions of SimConnect?  Well, updates for one thing.  Programmers will create software to interface with a particular version of SimConnect, but usually will use the latest version applicable to the simulator their software is being run on.  These days developers should always tell us which version of SimConnect for P3D and for that matter which version of C++ Redistributables their software was create with (FSX and P3D), though I know of none who do.

Also... what are some of the things SimConnect does?  See:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526983.aspx

4. How do I know which version(s) of SimConnect I have installed in my simulator?  If you have just one Simulator installed (FSX, FSX:SE, P3D) you can open the Windows Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel and look for Microsoft SimConnect in the programs list.  It becomes a little more complicated if you have more than one Simulator installed because Programs and Features simply tells you which versions of SimConnect are installed, but not which simulators they are installed for.  To figure out which versions are installed for which simulators you will have to do a lot of digging, sometimes in areas that are pretty foreign to most non-Windows Technicians, so it's better and faster just to reinstall the versions of SimConnect you need.

5. Can I uninstall SimConnect.  You can do so manually by removing folders and files if you know where to look, but there is a 99% change that doing so will mean you having to reinstall the simulator.  You shouldn't do it.

6. Can I reinstall SimConnect over an existing version?  Absolutely, this is how it should be done.  Ensure that the Windows User Account Control slider is set to minimum (all the way down), your computer security is disabled and if possible you should right click the install file and run the installer "As Administrator".

7. What if I'm getting an error regarding an older version of SimConnect?  Reinstall it, and then check to see that you have the latest version of SimConnect applicable to your simulator installed.  You can always reinstall it if you have any doubts.

8. Where can I get / download SimConnect for FSX?  CLICK HERE for the FSX versions. For the FSX:SE version you can find all three versions by opening up your main FSX:SE folder and then going to:  SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces.

8. I've done all the above and still having problems, what can/should I do?  Reinstall your simulator. Nobody likes to do this (especially if you have complex installations and addon software a mile long like I do), but reinstalling your simulator will actually save save you a great deal of time when compared to troubleshooting.  The reason is that SimConnect is tied to almost everythiing in the simulator, and it's very, very complex. Re installation are not nearly as time consuming as they used to be, and if you're running a disk version of FSX and you are ready to take my advice and update to FSX:SE then your install will not only be MUCH faster (if you have a decent Internet Connection) it will handle the install for you... you can just walk away and come back in 45 minutes to an hour and it will all be done for you.

Well, I think that covers all the bases, but if you have a question not answered above then please let me know.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

My very best wishes.

On 05/09/2017 at 7:45 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

SimConnect version 10.0.60905.0 is the original version of SimConnect that came with the original FSX (before Service Pack 2, and before FSX Acceleration.  Everyone should be running FSX:SP2, FSX Acceleration, or FSX Steam (FSX:SE), which is to say that there is absolutely no reason to be running a version of FSX prior to FSX:SP2.

General, but relevant information:  Note that FSX:SE is in reality FSX Acceleration that has been updated by DoveTail Games, thus it is the most updated version of FSX.  FSX:SE can often be found on sale via Steam for $5, so there is really no reason that everyone shouldn't be running this version if they choose to stay with FSX. It's better, faster, and much more stable than any previous version of FSX.  Period.

SimConnect Version 10.0.61259.0 is for FSX:SP2 and/or Acceleration.  Note please that while Service Pack 2 must be manually installed for FSX (Not FSX:SE), Service Pack 2 is automatically included/installed with FSX Acceleration.  FSX Steam uses a slightly updated version of SimConnect. The FSX:SE version number is 10.0.62608.0.

So...

FSX:                                   10.0.60905.0

FSX SP1:                           10.0.61242.0

FSX SP2 & Acceleration: 10.0.61259.0

FSX:SE:                             10.0.62608.0

You get another version then it's either for ESP (base program for FSX, P3D, FSW) or P3D.

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS:

1. Are there other versions of SimConnect?  Yes, there are versions for ESP (the software from which FSX, P3D and FSW come from), but they are not required for FSX.

2. Can I have more than one version of SimConnect?  Absolutely, we do this all the time with P3D in order to be able to run legacy software or software developed for a particular version of SimConnect in the Simulator.

3. Why are there so many versions of SimConnect?  Well, updates for one thing.  Programmers will create software to interface with a particular version of SimConnect, but usually will use the latest version applicable to the simulator their software is being run on.  These days developers should always tell us which version of SimConnect for P3D and for that matter which version of C++ Redistributables their software was create with (FSX and P3D), though I know of none who do.

Also... what are some of the things SimConnect does?  See:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526983.aspx

4. How do I know which version(s) of SimConnect I have installed in my simulator?  If you have just one Simulator installed (FSX, FSX:SE, P3D) you can open the Windows Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel and look for Microsoft SimConnect in the programs list.  It becomes a little more complicated if you have more than one Simulator installed because Programs and Features simply tells you which versions of SimConnect are installed, but not which simulators they are installed for.  To figure out which versions are installed for which simulators you will have to do a lot of digging, sometimes in areas that are pretty foreign to most non-Windows Technicians, so it's better and faster just to reinstall the versions of SimConnect you need.

5. Can I uninstall SimConnect.  You can do so manually by removing folders and files if you know where to look, but there is a 99% change that doing so will mean you having to reinstall the simulator.  You shouldn't do it.

6. Can I reinstall SimConnect over an existing version?  Absolutely, this is how it should be done.  Ensure that the Windows User Account Control slider is set to minimum (all the way down), your computer security is disabled and if possible you should right click the install file and run the installer "As Administrator".

7. What if I'm getting an error regarding an older version of SimConnect?  Reinstall it, and then check to see that you have the latest version of SimConnect applicable to your simulator installed.  You can always reinstall it if you have any doubts.

8. Where can I get / download SimConnect for FSX?  CLICK HERE for the FSX versions. For the FSX:SE version you can find all three versions by opening up your main FSX:SE folder and then going to:  SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces.

8. I've done all the above and still having problems, what can/should I do?  Reinstall your simulator. Nobody likes to do this (especially if you have complex installations and addon software a mile long like I do), but reinstalling your simulator will actually save save you a great deal of time when compared to troubleshooting.  The reason is that SimConnect is tied to almost everythiing in the simulator, and it's very, very complex. Re installation are not nearly as time consuming as they used to be, and if you're running a disk version of FSX and you are ready to take my advice and update to FSX:SE then your install will not only be MUCH faster (if you have a decent Internet Connection) it will handle the install for you... you can just walk away and come back in 45 minutes to an hour and it will all be done for you.

Well, I think that covers all the bases, but if you have a question not answered above then please let me know.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

My very best wishes.

So apparently I need FSX:SE simconnect, and you say that I can find it on steam.com. I can't find any place to download the FSX:SE (10.0.62608.0) The link on number 8 is just the regular FSX simconnect that doesn't work for me. Can you direct me to FSX:SE if you can? And besides, I already have FSX Steam, then why do I have 10.0.609 instead of 10.0.626?

11 minutes ago, AngelAvila191 said:

you say that I can find it on steam.com.

Ah, I don't know about that my friend, I believe I said that it's in your FSX Steam folder.  I think I gave you the full path to SimConnect... there are three there, just install all three.

13 minutes ago, AngelAvila191 said:

I already have FSX Steam, then why do I have 10.0.609

Respectfully, I provided this information in the lengthy and time consuming post I wrote just for you my friend!  That's at least two things in my post that you didn't read... :(   That's okay, you don't actually have to read it, but I did write it all just for you brother, an dit will help you if you read the entire post.

My very best wishes to you my friend.

22 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Ah, I don't know about that my friend, I believe I said that it's in your FSX Steam folder.  I think I gave you the full path to SimConnect... there are three there, just install all three.

Respectfully, I provided this information in the lengthy and time consuming post I wrote just for you my friend!  That's at least two things in my post that you didn't read... :(   That's okay, you don't actually have to read it, but I did write it all just for you brother, an dit will help you if you read the entire post.

My very best wishes to you my friend.

I just understood what you meant right now. Thank you so much! I didn't understand at first because I felt awfully tired, but now I understand. Thank you : )

Archived