Official rule book

• Aerosoft

The rules

• We will follow the route as close as possible. No shortcuts. If multiple airports are possible you are free to choose whatever one you like. If you aircraft is not capable of making the trip, you are allowed to seek an alternative route, but will stay as close as possible to the original route.
  • We will fly with real weather.
  • Any aircraft is allowed.
  • Changing aircraft enroute is allowed, even encouraged, but you must stay in your class
  • You are allowed to fly in a team of maximum two pilots where any pilot can fly any leg
  • All flight periods start at midnight and end at midnight (GMT time) and the route must be completed in that period. The event starts at 8:45 p.m. on 2 October and ends at the same time on December 21st.
  • You will create a forum topic where the first topic will contain your complete route, aircraft and other details before October 3rd. You will update this topic (let’s call it a diary) while enroute.
  • At the end of the event all people who flown the complete route can vote on their favorite pilots (you are not allowed to vote for yourself).  
  • There will be 2 classes (so two winners):
    Modern aircraft (after 1970)
    Historical aircraft (pre 1970)

London to Suez

7 days

Oct 2

Oct 9

Suez to Bombay

13 days

Oct 10

Oct 23

Bombay to Calcutta

3 days

Oct 23

Oct 26

Calcutta to Hong Kong

13 days

Oct 26

Nov 8

Hong Kong to Yokohama

6 days

Nov 8

Nov 14

Yokohama to San Francisco

22 days

Nov 14

Dec 5
(date line pass)

San Francisco to New York City

7 days

Dec 5

Dec 12

New York to London

9 days

Dec 12

Dec 21

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After doing the RTW I'm definitely up for doing this. I have a few questions though.

• Is this an online event? Or can we do it offline, like we did for the RTW tour? I ask this because due to personal circumstances I'm not in a position to fly online for another while.
  • Where a destination has more than 1 airport (for example, London) can we pick where we want to fly to?
  • Is it up to us to divide each route up? For example, London to Suez is 4-5 hours in a single hop. But it seems like we are encouraged to divide this route up into smaller legs. I tend to fly the PMDG737 and the AS busses (when they are released for P3dv4). How should I go about dividing each route up?
  • Do we just upload a few screenshots from each leg, the same way we did for the RTW tour?

Thanks.

• Deputy Sheriffs

1. Offline

2. I would say, use the airport closest to the original destination, I already got permission for several military airports, which are not open for GA

3. Yes, as it depends on the aircraft. For example I use a PC-12, so i must divide the route into legs, although I use special ferry tanks. You only have to be within the time frame.

4. Screenshots and maybe the route/flightplan as a kmz file so that we could put it into Google Earth.

And do not forget to use real weather! ;)

On 9/6/2017 at 6:17 PM, mopperle said:

1. Offline

2. I would say, use the airport closest to the original destination, I already got permission for several military airports, which are not open for GA

3. Yes, as it depends on the aircraft. For example I use a PC-12, so i must divide the route into legs, although I use special ferry tanks. You only have to be within the time frame.

4. Screenshots and maybe the route/flightplan as a kmz file so that we could put it into Google Earth.

And do not forget to use real weather! ;)

Thanks Otto. In that case I think I'll give this a go. I enjoyed the RTW tour, so it will be nice to have another trip.

Hey there,

first of all, it sounds like a wonderful challange. :D

Three questions from me:

• Real weather...well...FSGRW isn´t available for P3Dv4 jet, and P3D has no real weather function like FSX. Is there some good Freeware or an idea what I can do?
  • Is the Twin Otter a modern or a historical aircraft?
  • On 6.9.2017 at 19:17, mopperle sagte:

Screenshots and maybe the route/flightplan as a kmz file so that we could put it into Google Earth.

Where can I find the kmz files? :wacko:

• Deputy Sheriffs

Some flightplanning tools allow you to save a flightplan in a format (kmz,kml) which can be opened in Google Earth/Maps

The Twotter is a modern aircraft

Weather: I am not aware of any freeware, but I guess you can configure the weather in P3D so that it comes vlose to real weather

19 hours ago, mopperle said:

Some flightplanning tools allow you to save a flightplan in a format (kmz,kml) which can be opened in Google Earth/Maps

The Twotter is a modern aircraft

Weather: I am not aware of any freeware, but I guess you can configure the weather in P3D so that it comes vlose to real weather

Was not the 100 200 and 300 series manufactured before 1970?  I thought Bombadier started with the 400 series. This would make the twotter historic.

In the story there are three people travelling from India.  Do  we need to take this into account with our aircraft choice for seating, weight and fuel incuding extra fuel tanks?  In other words must it be a three seater plus aircraaft with luggage ( a princess does not travel with nothing) with sufficent range for that weight?

would love to try this in Concorde, but with no P3Dv4 version , for me it means going back to FSX

probably would have to rename it 80 hours instead of 80 days with the Concorde lol

PS would Concorde be considered post 1970s plane, even though it was developed and first flight was in the late 60s, but didn't enter service until the 70s

I just got a pin email about this and I’m in. Around the world in 80 days is one of my favourite books (along with War of the worlds). Anyway, I’m pulling a DH Dove our of mothballs for this trip. 

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, EPirl said:

would love to try this in Concorde, but with no P3Dv4 version , for me it means going back to FSX

probably would have to rename it 80 hours instead of 80 days with the Concorde lol

PS would Concorde be considered post 1970s plane, even though it was developed and first flight was in the late 60s, but didn't enter service until the 70s

Yeah, I would class that as post 1970, even though it was build earlier. You might find it hard to find runways to handle it though....

• Aerosoft
47 minutes ago, JosefM said:

That sounds very exciting.  Is it also allowed to fly online? At IVAO, for example?

ANYTHING is allowed.

And yes, we love it being done online or in connected flight deck. I for sure will fly IVAO when possible. 

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Jess-b said:

I just got a pin email about this and I’m in. Around the world in 80 days is one of my favourite books (along with War of the worlds). Anyway, I’m pulling a DH Dove our of mothballs for this trip. 

A Dove? You will for sure need the 80 days but you are my hero.

Do make sure to start a diary though!

2 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

A Dove? You will for sure need the 80 days but you are my hero.

Do make sure to start a diary though!

Thanks Mathis, she’s good for a 160kt cruise though. Range could be an issue though :)  

my diary has already been opened. 

Well I'm taking a DH Heron.  From two to three persons on board plus luggage (but not all of the way round mind) would leave about 2,000 kg for fuel.  I'm assuming that Passepartout is IFR qualified and can share the load over those long, long overseas legs.  As you say Mathijs I'll chop and change to keep it interesting!  If only Pilot's had gotten that Boeing 314 out in time...

Jess, by my reckoning you should have about 800kg available for fuel for your little twin.  Who needs speed?!

Regards, Mark

Hi guys, this sounds like an awesone event! I just have a couple of uncertainties: 

1) Could someone tell me what does it mean to update our 'diary' enroute? I'm a bit unsure of this in practice.

2) Is there a set schedule for when to fly each leg (probably), and if so do I just Google it or is it published here somewhere?

Thanks in advance. See you guys out there! Happy landings :)

It’s gonna be interesting. I’ve just done my basic flight planning and the Yokohama to San Francisco is going to be tough, with one extremely marginal leg north. But that’ll make it interesting. :) 

I have an old Grumman goose found in my hangar, I will inspect more thoroughly, before I go on the great world tour. I think this is the right aircraft for the crossing of the oceans... :lol:

Do I still need a life jacket?

Archived