Lightning "Niggles"

Ecthaelion

Gents,

I am writing this post NOT to subtract anything from this fantastic series of releases of a much loved aircraft for our beloved hobby, far from it, rather I wish to list a few niggles that I have encountered with the products to see if people have witnessed or noticed the same as myself and to highlight them that perhaps we can find fixes, ways around, or even provide some quality feed back to the creator of these wonderful products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC, hardware and software specs:

PC:

Intel i7 3770k running non clocked at 3.5ghz.  (I have NO idea as to how to overclock things so I have left it well alone),

ASUS Sabertooth MB 

1x Samsung 500Gb SSD (Windows 10 and P3D only)

2x WD Black 1tb drives - Work and storage.

1x WD Black 2tb drive - Storage only

16gb RAM DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 (suppoosedly 4gb but I have heard it only runs 3)

Samsung 32 inch what ever it is Monitor set at 2560x1440 60hz.

Flight Sim Hardware:

Thrustmaster Warthog, Throttle and Stick

Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's - Throwback to my **spits** DCS days, later used with great effect on the wonderful BMS sim

Saitek Combat Pro rudder pedals

TrackiR 4.

Flight sim software:

Microsoft FSX - Replaced mostly by P3Dv4

Lockheed Martin P3Dv4 - upgraded from P3Dv3

HiFi Simulations AS16 Weather Program

Rex Simuations REX Enhanced Edition (P3Dv4)

Team SDB's P3D version of RAF Binbrook

Aerosoft Lightning F3, F6 and T5 packages

Various freeware UK military airfield sceneries (FSX) etc.

I am running stock P3D mesh and terrain texture scenery, I will be upgrading to Orbx when I upgrade my PC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please bare in mind these are only my own opinions and experiences.

1.  A very simple thing, probably a real "anorak" perspective.  The Redtop Missile seems too large in relation to all the different airframes (F3, F6 and T5).  To my eye its dimensions are not scaled correctly, I draw this conclusion based upon real life photos and owning both Firestreak and Redtop missile seeker heads (complete and in superb condition).  Now it is something that one can live with and is only eye candy at the end of the day but...  Maybe I am being OCD, its a niggle :D

2.  Something of a concern.  The aircraft seems very "light" when flown in inclement weather conditions.  RAF Binbrook, like most RAF stations, was a very windy place given its location a top of a hill in the Lincolnshire wolds.  It was prone to some pretty bad weather.  I always fly with real world weather served by AS16 and having flown quite a lot recently with the rather changeable weather we have been getting in the UK this last week or so the aircraft is blown left to right with quite violent undemanded roll moments.  By all accounts the aircraft was quite well behaved once airborne and would deal with winds aloft etc quite comfortably.  The trouble came when on short final and touch down, the skinny tyres attached to the long, stalky oleo's tended to make the aircraft quite skittish and proved troublesome when trying to hold the centerline on roll out.  Has anyone else noticed quite severe, sudden and unnerving roll moments when flying in weather?

3.  Nav aids.  I have been experiencing problems with frequencies (VOR to TACAN) where DME is present but the Lightnings instrumentation is not registering said DME.  To be honest this occurs mostly when using 3rd party addon scenery designed for P3Dv4 AND ported FSX sceneries. It is something I can live with but anyone experience the same and have any ideas as to a work around?

4.  Air to Air refueling. This seems to be quite a hot topic here on the forum.  I simply cannot get it to work. I have read thoroughly both the manuals and posts written in this forum and tried on many occasions.  -  PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE!  Having read through the forum again I have found the notice that states the AAR is broken for P3Dv4 and is being addressed.

5.  The warning Klaxxon "Clangers" no longer sounds in P3Dv4 :(   For instance when the generator drops offline.  All other sounds are working fine hence why I have ignored the P3Dv4 sound DLL post.  Is this a mistake to do so?  Should I try the new DLL regardless? 

6.  The brakes work purely as differential brakes in v4 independent to rudder movement.

7.  The AVPIN starter is no longer heard inside the cockpit in v4, whilst I guess you wouldnt always hear it I suppose it was a neat touch to hear it in FSX and P3Dv3.

8.  Oxygen bottle is often empty after selecting Shift 2 and then cold & dark cockpit.  This has been mentioned here before if my memory serves but I struggle to fix the issue and have been flying, when the issue arises, below 30k.

End of niggles list.

Guys, this is only a niggles list and I hope I have been as polite and straightforwards as possible, I would hate to appear damning of a very fine product nor would I wish to look down on the hard work of Aerosoft and D in providing us this Aircraft.  I am in no way complaining or rubbishing the product, just looking to give a couple of heads ups and opinions and hopefully some help with my understanding of this complex aircraft and therein increasing my already considerable enjoyment of owning and operating it.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S.  If this post is considered disrespectful or damaging in any way then please remove it, I will understand completely and without argument.

Edited: Correction of spelling errors.

Fear not no offence taken , this is precicely what these forums are for .
 I'll reply quickly here( because I want to catch up with the grand prix) and get back with things I'll need to check on .
 1) the missiles are big ... but I'll double check.
 2) Yes, this has been much discussed. with a swept wing aircraft you basically have a choice , set the flight dynamics right to the true aircraft parameters so it flys like the real aircraft in no turbulence, or fudge the numbers in which case it wont fly like a
lightning in any conditions but will handle turbulence better . There is a selection in both sims for disabling turbulence on aircraft so you can maintain the weather themes.
 3) TACAN worked fine in FSX but I have not tried it in P3D... I'll get back on that one.
 4) I'll look into that as well.
 5) You must replace the sound .dll for P3dv4,to get all the internal sounds  the old one will not work.
 6) ?  The brakes are differential
 7) could be related to 5

8) Ha gotcha .. read the manual... RIGHT click on the norm/100% lever if your ox is empty!
 Dave

Hi Dave,

Pleased I havent upset you.... :)

Ok...  Hmm, rats... I was shooting for a 10/10 LOL!  Dangit :D

Thank you very much for your replies.

No.1, yeah the Redflops are big thats for sure, have attached a couple of phots, they might give you an idea of my OCD :D

No.2  Dave, gotcha 100% - I used to do flight modelling for a couple of payware groups back in 2004 and early FSX and I understand precisely where you are coming from with this.  Memory check once again :)

No.3 It could be a 3rd party scenery issue vs P3Dv4 issue not understanding the software since I havent been playing with it all that long.  I thought I would raise it though.

No.4 I am flying online with a good friend of mine in Multi Player and we are drawing a series of flightplans to accurately simulate a few of th emore normal sorties in and around the UK but also a few of the overseas deployments as well, we will need AAR if not then we need to be planning for adequate diverts.  Again i thought I would bring it up but subsequently i did find a post here where some one mentioned that the AAR is being worked on for v4.

No.5 Have done so Sir and will report back once I have tested it :)

No.6 Let me try and explain the best I can but be warmned I will probably make myself look a complete and utter numpty.  In P3Dv3 and FSX (bear in mind it has been a while since I have flown them so my memory may not be at its best here so please correct me if I am wrong) one would move the rudder into the turn you wanted to make whilst on the taxi and do a quick pull on the break to castor the nose wheel into the required direction.  In P3Dv4 the brakes seem to be working as differential brakes without any rudder input to kick the nose wheel.  I maybe just totally confused so if I am talking pish here just give me a slap round the chops and tell me STHU :D.

No.7 Righto :)

No.8 DOH!   I hate you :D

Once again many thanks for your replies Dave, spot on.

P.S.  Please pay no mind to the holy sock in one of these pictures... :D

Please login to display this image.

1) Your spider senses are working overtime.... the redflop is a tad too fat ( I blame the thickness of the line in the drawings I used) ...but I have one book that gives 22cm and wiki gives 23cms diam . what should it be?    The firewood seems to be spot on.

3) with the tacan problem is it all frequencies, and is it the nautical miles in the window not showing or the scale not reading?

4) no flt refuel or transfer yet on v4 due to the. dll changes but good point , I must chase that up.

6) The rudder pedals operate the sequencing valve that directs hyd pressure to either brake so when the handbrake is applied it stops the desired wheel and  the nose wheel castors to suit, You can't operate the brakes differentially without moving the rudder !  You can steer on the ground using rudder alone once you get up enough speed though .

I have just zig-zagged down the centre line and turned circles in the runway.... no problems. (P3dv4)

D

The Firestreak is spot on I reckon.  If you want a measurement off my Red Top seeker head (that just sounds so wrong, right? :D) I need to get into my attic but 22 or 23cm sounds about right to me, there is only 1 cm difference in the two references so... Hey... :)

TACAN as far as I have seen so far seems to be all freq's but I havent tested it enough, can I get back to you on that one too.  The Nm is not showing in the window for definite and shoot I cant recall the scale, need to go back and look.

Your explanation of the brakes is precisely what I thought and had witnessed in FSX and v3.  I reckon I must have the 1990's ground steering mod in v4 :D  I can definitely move the aircraft around without the use of rudder input to influence the brakes, strange. It's not a game changer really, not for me anyhow I just thought I would mention it in my niggles.

What are you using to steer the aircraft with if not the rudder pedals? 

if you have a twist stick and pedals could be you are getting a conflict between them , and maybe check on the axis and controls setup?

I have just had a short flight , set the tacan to 86 (vor113.90) NM window ; scale and direction worked fine .

Hi Dave :)

Am using Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek Combat Pro Pedals.  No crossed assignments.  Unfortunately am working at the moment.  This afternoon I will cut a short video and show you what I mean regarding the brake / steering thing.  Will also try and capture the NAV issue for you also.   More than like it is down to me not being totally compos mentis when trying to keep ahead of the Frightning and having it under control :D

Cant thank you enough for your time and efforts Dave.

Dave, here is a quick vid that starts just are parking brake off, shows taxi to the runway.  You can hopefully see that I am steering the aircraft purely on brakes and no rudder input.   With regards to the TACAN issue, I have tried a few freq's (channel 86, OTR Otringham and 48, CGY Coningsby) and they now are displaying DME but I have now lost direction indication, so back to the manuals and then if that fails I need to think about reinstalling the Lightnings or perhaps P3D altogether.   Not confident that my files may have become corrupted.   Good news though, all my wonderful Lightning saounds have come back since installing the sound DLL file.  Many thanks for the heads up on that one.  Purely my ignorance there.

Take a look at the vid and tell me what you think:

https://youtu.be/35D2e-25XFU

Yes I see you are turning and the brake coming on with no pedal movement, but what are you using to turn with,  the twist stick or the Saitek

pedals  ?  and is the rudder  moving whilst steering. 

The rudder pedals animation obviously works I can see when you stir the controls, what settings have you got for the null zone.

Am using a Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle, it doesnt have a twist, no way to engage rudder from the stick or throttle. The only piece of hardware attached to the rudder is the Saitek Pro's  I am only using the toe brakes on the pedals to get the aircraft turning :)   Good question on the nul zones, hadnt thought of that.  Have attached a screenshot.

You have answered your own question, the lightning does not have toe brakes so don't use them ! just kick the rudder pedals and apply the hand brake. like the pilots had to .:rolleyes:

Dave.... I hate you :D  I have no idea why v4 does this differently to FSX and v3 but I am gonna leave this topic rest now :P :D 

Partial good news on the NAV side too.   The F3 and F6 are working fine... Ahem the aircraft instrumentation was faulty...  That is what I wrote up in the 700 and I am sticking to it!  **mutters under his breath something about cockpit switchology and RTFM combined with the fact that P3D works simulated TACANs in a very strange manner...   I have noted a spurious event regarding the NAV in the T5 but I need to test it again.   Stop laughing at me :P

You have the patience of Jobe my friend, thank you very much for all your help and insight, if you are ever down on the South Coast please shout me, will stand you more than a couple of beers. :)

If I can chime in a little bit for your original No2, Jon, I'll go a touch further which hopefully you may find helpful.

The basis of the problem is that stock FS aircraft are heavily over-damped, therefore stronger control responses are needed to overcome that and also stronger weather to get reaction from the aircraft. It's the cause of many of the 'it runs on rails' complaints you often hear. John Cagle built the flight model using real-world coefficients of motion, which has the advantage of giving a much more realistic and precise control. The downside is that stock weather and add-on weather which has not been adjusted will result in the effect you have seen. I note you are using AS16, I'm using ASN so presumably the adjustments are going to be the same - if you drop any wind or turbulence effects down to somewhere in the 10 - 15 % range, you should find you can achieve realistic weather effects on the aircraft (it's basically dropping the effect by the same amount that the damping has already been dropped). Of course, this will have the effect that any aircraft not built with this method will hardly feel the weather at all but, knowing how you fly with focus on one aircraft for a period of time, I should think it won't be too much of a problem for you?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.  I was aware of this issue (usually seen in FS2004 to FSX port overs).  I wasn't expecting it in P3D and the Lightning seemed especially bad in rough air.  The only solution I found was to not use AS16 as to be quite honest trying to land the Lightning in any wind conditions was proving to be extremely difficult.  Say nothing of MP formation flying.

I have opened up AS16 and have altered the wind and turbulence settings to 15% as suggested, will give that a go and report back.  As you so rightly pointed out we do focus on one type for quite a long period so these changes will not affect us too much at all.

It's been a long time and wonderful to see you are still "in the pattern",  hope all is well for you chap.  Any chance of a Virtual meet up anytime soon? :D

Paul,

Scaling down the winds and turbulence certainly had an effect.  Just took a quick jaunt across the North sea to Sola, Norway...  Nasty Wx all the way and terrible at Sola.  Winds at 35k rolled the aircraft inverted on AP... AS16 and the simulator was reporting only 21kts.   Very strange.  Have reduced the scales down to 10% and will see what happens there.

Hi Jon,

That's strange, I have found it nicely stable with those settings - possibly it's a difference between the versions of Active Sky but you certainly shouldn't be being rolled on your back. That sort of response is what you'd expect with stock weather settings.

We'll have to sort out an online catch - up, possibly in the Lightning?

Sounds good Paul, if you are still using Skype let me get my head round it and sort out my contacts and we can try an catch each other there.  I would like to use the Lightning :)  As always you are very good at fixing things that are not working for me in the Sims :)

Jon.

Edit:  I think i have found your contact on Skype and have sent a friends request.

Archived