September's Screen-Shot Contest - Hurricane Relief Operations

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hurricane Season is a season that we all dread, and while it creates some excitement for those of us fascinated by science, it leaves behind devastation, destruction, total mayhem and it changes the lives of millions of people in the blink of an eye.  The state of Texas, Florida and several Caribbean Islands have been recently targeted by what has been considered to be TWO of the most devastating hurricanes of this century with Harvey delivering 24.5 trillion gallons of water while taking the lives of over 25 people, and Irma barreling down on Antigua & Barbuda, St. Martin, Anguilla, The British & US Virgin Islands, Cuba and several cities with the state of Florida.  Leaving behind billions of dollars destruction and thousands of people homeless, without power, food, and essentials for everyday living. 

This month we are going to allow contestants to create screen-shots of anything pre & post hurricane related, i.e. Hurricane hunting, Cargo relief by plane boat or helicopter.  Since the Houston Airport was reopened (08/31/2017) and most of the Caribbean airports have reopened ONLY for relief aid - Since countries are in dire need of supplies get your short or long haul vessels ready for moving supplies to those in need.

Final Approach into SXM with Relief Supplies from neighboring Island of SJU

Please login to display this image.

Prepping an Extra Section flight to take American Airlines employees into MIA

Flying into a stormy Antigua with relief supplies for the sister island Barbuda which was devasted by Irma (go-around executed due to severe windshear to RW07)

Users are allowed to change their posted image up until the time frame allowing you to do so expires.  If you fail to post an image based on the theme of the month, it is very likely that the image will not be considered during "judgment day".  As Always   - All participants are ONLY allowed 1 image.

Good Luck to ALL!!

[Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Presenting one of my Hurricane Harvey relief aid cargo flights to KIAH George Bush Intercontinental Airport located about 23 miles north of downtown Houston, Texas

Seconds before touchdown

For COMPLETE flight report, please see my flight post in the screenshot subforum

Regards,

Aharon

I'll have to pass this month, sorry, i quite dont understand the theme, are we suppose to post pictures from this storm? I dont fly in heavy rain or heavy snow, so count me out this month..

14 hours ago, geir_haukland said:

I'll have to pass this month, sorry, i quite dont understand the theme, are we suppose to post pictures from this storm? I dont fly in heavy rain or heavy snow, so count me out this month..

Geir,

You do NOT NOT have to fly in storm or heavy rain or heavy snow.  The theme is actually screenshots showing ANY cargo plane or any cargo military plane hauling relief aid supplies to affected areas AFTER hurricane.  Cargo plane can vary from widebody cargo plane to single prop GA cargo plane.

Look at real world photos as example from which you can draw ideas for screenshots for this contest.

You can see military plane and small prop plane at the small Caribbean airport delivering relief aid supplies

You can see how small GA prop plane is loaded with relief aid supplies

You can see another small GA plane being loaded with relief aid supplies

You can use DC-3s or World War 2 bomber for this screenshot contest because a wealthy man uses his private owned WW2 bomber to load relief aid supplies into his bomber to fly to Houston to deliver supplies.  Look at him loading supplies into bomb bay.

A good example of screenshot for this contest would be showing freeware HJG DC-8 with Samiration Aid livery making landing on one of Caribbean airports.

Regards,

Aharon

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 9/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, geir_haukland said:

On 9/14/2017 at 8:56 AM, geir_haukland said:

In my hangar, i dont have any cargoplanes, so i am not attending this month, sorry, but thnx @Aharon anyway

The theme this month seems to have run many people off.....BUT, any plane can be used to carry supplies.  It was not uncommon for us back in the day to pull the seats out of our Baron or BN-2 Islander to move vegetables, tools, etc for contract vendors (hotels, contract companies etc).  Based on the THEME you create a scene, it could be loading barrels of water on a donkey to carry across the street.  Moving relief supplies to any island/country can be done with any vessel.

Technically, based on creativity, this can be a do as you like theme....since just about everyone has some variant of aircraft in their hangar bigger than a Piper Cub.  I just have not posted any images as I have been on the flight line quite a bit performing audits, and I created this month's theme from my cell phone.

AND as a matter of fact, I really don't care where your aircraft is as Hurricane Irma came up from the Caribbean and unleashed a venomous A$$ whopping on several Islands some of which my immediate family resides.  SO relief efforts can be to, from en-route, loading, etc with regards to any affected hurricane region.

I have re-worded the theme content, hopefully making it clearer, my apologies if it was unclear in the beginning - I can see where there may have been some confusion by stating ONLY Cargo and Military aircraft were to be used.....ANY TYPE AIRCRAFT CAN BE USED.

Also, I remember either Boeing or Airbus, or maybe both, using their delivery flights in cooperation with the customer airline, as humanitarian aid flights carrying cargo to the affected area. I think I've seen a Jetblue A321 doing such a flight before if I'm not mistaken.

Ch4rles50,

Excellent realistic recreation of real world relief aid flight!! Recreating real world relief aid flights to Houston or Caribbean is exactly what this screenshot contest is about.

Regards,

Aharon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs
On 9/25/2017 at 10:30 AM, Captain Doctor said:

Bringing some help for injured persons.

We congratulate the Captain Doctor on wining September's screen shot contest.  My apologies for the delay as it has been a rather busy few weeks fr me.  We liked this shot because of the angle and the attempt to deliver aid/rescue in what would appear to be a challenging area for normal rescue/relief transport to land.

Email to follow shortly.

Cheers

Archived