Question On Updates

jmbiii

Probably a simple question . . . . . . when a title (aircraft or scenery) is updated from FS9/FSX to P3Dv4 will it also "work" in P3Dv1,-2,-3 ?

My favorite Wilga "flies" in P3Dv3.4 but needs instruments (I've become proficient at dead-reckoning navigation . . .LOL)

joe

Depending on the product and developer, some updates may only be to make the installer compatible with P3DV4.  But when a product is revamped for P3DV4 (more than just an update) then it's possible it will work in P3DV1/2/3 and FSX - but unlikely.  It is always best to run software created for a specific sim, but you can always test it yourself to see.  One CAVEAT:  Do not ever try to run a non-P3Dv4 installer to install a product into P3DV4, not ever.  It will wreck your CFG files and you'll likely have to reinstall P3DV4.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes , I copied the Wilga X folder/s over from FSX a while back and Wilga flies in P3Dv3.4 pretty well. It is just the majority of the gauges don't appear.

Apparently P3D doesn't care for the .dll file in the Panel folder . Perhaps some of the gauges are still FS9.  

Mathijs,

P3Dv3.4 and FSX are 32bit, correct ?  I've not had any problem with either and my operating system is Windows 7 64 bit..

Will the new installer for P3Dv4 allow one to install into FSX or any of the other P3D versions ?

As I mentioned all I did was copy over my FSX Wilga installation into P3Dv3.4.  Is there a way to force the FSX installer

to install into P3D ?

Joe

6 minutes ago, jmbiii said:

Mathijs,

P3Dv3.4 and FSX are 32bit, correct ?  I've not had any problem with either and my operating system is Windows 7 64 bit..

Will the new installer for P3Dv4 allow one to install into FSX or any of the other P3D versions ?

As I mentioned all I did was copy over my FSX Wilga installation into P3Dv3.4.  Is there a way to force the FSX installer

to install into P3D ?

Joe

Hi Joe,

you do not have problems operating 32bit applications on 64bit Windows because Microsoft programmed Windows in a way that it can still run 32bit applications (said in easy words. It is in fact a bit more complex).

There is a big difference going on behind the scenes regarding running a 32bit application on a 64bit Windows and running a 32bit dll in a 64bit sim.

You can always use the "Browse" button of the installer to point it to any location where you'd want to install files.
But be damn sure to know that this *might* brake your entire sim.

Some planes may work, some may not.
Aircraft which only use .xml code for example would likely still work in P3Dv4 while those using .dll will not.

2 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

You can always use the "Browse" button of the installer to point it to any location where you'd want to install files.
But be damn sure to know that this *might* brake your entire sim.

Some planes may work, some may not.

Yeah, that's why I just copied from FSX to P3Dv3 because there was no "browse" just a repair or uninstall.

How does one make a  fake FSX.exe in the P3Dv3 folder ? Can it be an 'empty' text file ?

(plus I'm not looking to migrate to P3Dv4 anytime soon)

The likely reasons the gauges aren't appearing is exactly what Mathijs said, they are compiled as 32 bit gauges and P3DV4 is a 64-bit sim. Moreover, the instruments might use graphics that are not longer compatible with P3D.  I'm afraid this is an uphill battle that you're not going to win.  How do I know?  Because I spent many hours trying to get the Leonardo Maddog to work in P3D and had the same issue you're having. I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for the gauges to be updated for P3DV4, or maybe like me you'll have to say goodbye to an older platform or keep both FSX and P3D installed.

Placing the FSX.exe in the P3D folder simply won't do anything for you operationally, and using an FSX installer (non-Unicode) to install to P3DV4 is going to trash all of your Config files (read up on this on the Lockkeed Martin Prepar3d site).

I wish you the very best, but I'm afraid our team can't help you further on this as we would share an element of responsibility for what happens to your system, and we simply have to devote our time and resources to regular customer support.  I hope you understand.

Archived