Do pilots IRL enter their routes manually?

datguytho

Hi,

just would like to know whether every company stores their flight plans in the aircrafts database or do the pilots have to enter them every time theirselves?

I know that for instance Air Berlin doesn't (or rather didn't) use company routes for their A320 family.

Also, are the company routes installed along with every new AIRAC cycle?

• 2 weeks later...

At the airline I work, we upload the company routes into the FMS via a laptop.  Pilots use the company route  (flightplan) they are directed to by their dispatchers.  The dispatchers will upload the same flightplan to ATC.  Yes, once a new AIRAC Cycle arrives, new company routes are created/existing flightplans are modified to match the AIRAC Cycle.       

Yeah, it really depends on the aircraft and capabilities, if the routing was changed by dispatch or ATC since the pilot checked in, facilities where the aircraft is, and whether or not the pilot is blonde (like me) in which case they aren't allowed to enter routes for fear of wrecking everything!

On some military aircraft they still use a mission hard drive that they insert into the aircrash (lol).

Best wishes.

Archived