Please login to display this image.

Streaming the individual targets.

Catch us if you can.....

Dave

Supersonic target off the port side.

I have this and the Jindivik set as tankers for TacPack, although I do also have an AI version of the Jindivik flying every 4 hours between Llanbedr and the Isle of Man at FL090.

Who wants it?

Dave

1 hour ago, dhazelgrove said:

Supersonic target off the port side.

I have this and the Jindivik set as tankers for TacPack, although I do also have an AI version of the Jindivik flying every 4 hours between Llanbedr and the Isle of Man at FL090.

Who wants it?

Dave

Sure put em up . How have you got the tanker supersonic , ?

I was just contemplating making a Stiletto  and seeing if I can replace and doctor TP's drone FD 

D

If you go onto flightsim.com and search for "Jindivik", you'll find two files that come up.

One is the Llanbedr project Jindivik (both AI and flyable versions), and the other is a supersonic drone. You can use that one in TacPack. Just tell it what speed/height you want it to go at.

500 knots at FL250 or above will do it.

Dave

4 hours ago, wingman5 said:

Still be easier to shoot down the Canberra than that tiddly little thing   :)

You mean that you can't?

Jindiviks were designed to tow two flares - targets for heat seekers. Guns were fired at the banner on APC at Akrotiri.

A good point, though, as I can't think of anything AI that tows a banner.

Dave

7 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

You mean that you can't?

Jindiviks were designed to tow two flares - targets for heat seekers. Guns were fired at the banner on APC at Akrotiri.

A good point, though, as I can't think of anything AI that tows a banner.

Dave

It's not I can't shoot the drone... my eyesight is none too good so I have trouble

seeing it ! ( and for me the recognition text IS cheating!).... give me a big fat tanker or Russian Bear  and I stand a chance.

The flares were SUPPOSED to be the targets.... if memory serves me the call was "Dropkick playmate"  when the engine proved to be more attractive.

Putting a banner onto an AI shouldn't be that difficult, what would be neat is having it record hits so you could view the banner as a popup after the pass! TP already has the ability to show target hits on the radar screen  so it might not be that bi a jump..

D

The good news is that the AI Jindivik doesn't have the streaming flares - but the flyable Jindivik (original post in this thread) does have two that are individually streamable.

All functions are available from the old 2D panel.

A banner would be great. Wasn't it 100 Squadron that did the banner towing?

Ian Black had a great deal to say about the Canberra pilots attitude to Lightning pilots who would let fly too early in the turn.

Dave

Yes "tatty ton".... I imagine their pilots had quite a lot to say, plodding round the racetrack whilst the fighter boys were zooming around  having fun blazing away ..... none of it repeatable I suspect !:o

If you altered the gauge command in the flyable Jindivik so the flare was permanently deployed , and swapped the model over for the AI , that might work ?

D

13 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

Perhaps not the most effective flare effect we've ever seen.

The two targets extend to differing lengths. This is the long one.

Dave

Go through the FX folder and find a BIG flare effect  . if its attached via the cfg just replace it, if not 

find their fx and replace the guts.

D

16 minutes ago, dhazelgrove said:

Better.

Dave

Has it changed!?.....has it gone out ? I mean a Big flare.... one that  consumes the canister and can be seen from a distance. :0)

D

24 minutes ago, dhazelgrove said:

You have won today's star prize. Wrong photo.

How's this?

Dave

Now you are talking B) , what's the FX ?  I might be able to make use of that 

20 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

Now you are talking B) , what's the FX ?  I might be able to make use of that 

In FSX, it's fx_flare and fx_flareEffect (for the smoke). There's a time limit on them, and you have to cycle the lights to go again.

I have the lights section like this:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
light.0 =  4, -9.4, 0, 4.25, fx_vclightwhi,
light.1 =  3, -11.2, 0, 4.25, fx_shockwave_navwhi,
light.2 =  3, 3.2, -10.6, -0.22, fx_shockwave_navred,
light.3 =  3, 3.2, 10.6, -0.22, fx_shockwave_navgre,
light.4 =  5, 1.2, -8.6, -0.25, fx_landing,               //acq
light.5 =  5, 1.2, 8.6, -0.25, fx_landing,                //acq
light.6 =  5, -8.85, 0, 4.25, fx_landing,                 //fin acq
light.7 =  1, 3.2, -9.5, -.22, fx_shockwave_navwhi,       //inbd night acq
light.8 =  1, 3.2,  9.5, -.22, fx_shockwave_navwhi,       //inbd night acq
light.9 =  2, -92.6, 1.8, -41.65, fx_flareEffect,         //tow body flare smoke
light.10 =  2, -92.6, 1.81, -41.65, fx_flare,             //tow body flare
light.11 =  9, 7.6, 0.1, -2.3,  fx_shockwave_beacon,      //trolley flashbulbs

I'm still working on the acquisition lights.

Dave

19 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

In FSX, it's fx_flare and fx_flareEffect (for the smoke). There's a time limit on them, and you have to cycle the lights to go again.

I'm still working on the acquisition lights.

Dave

The timer is easily altered , just open up the Fx and change the lifetime of the emitter ( there are thee of them) for however long you want the flare to burn for (in seconds)

[Emitter.0]
Lifetime=9.00, 11.00

D

46 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

The timer is easily altered , just open up the Fx and change the lifetime of the emitter ( there are thee of them) for however long you want the flare to burn for (in seconds)

[Emitter.0]
Lifetime=9.00, 11.00

D

Thanks for that. I'd like to set it for a figure as close to realistic as I can get.

I do know that the pilots had to call into the range on entry, and that was when the flare was streamed and ignited - so they only had a short time to acquire the target and lock on.

There's the tale of Bob Prest who fired a sidewinder from a Phantom at a flare. Apparently the angle he fired at was so fine that he got the flare - and the Jindivik as well!.

His mess bill that night was stratospheric.

Dave

2 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

There's the tale of Bob Prest who fired a sidewinder from a Phantom at a flare. Apparently the angle he fired at was so fine that he got the flare - and the Jindivik as well!.

His mess bill that night was stratospheric

Aye, out of an initial purchase of 267 airframes there are (or were?) only 31 left , most of the shoot-down's were pre 1990's ( not my fault... honest ;0) I guess the modern missile is more selective ( or doesn't go off with as big a bang! :focus_s:

I've asked the life question on FB.

D

This is the effect in P3D3.4 - it lasts about ten seconds, currently.

The effect is only present on the starboard target, which extends more than the port one, but I don't think I'm going to do anything about that.

Adding the effects to the AI model is proving interesting. As you can see from the lights section I posted earlier, the effects are tied to light2, which is always on for AI aircraft.

It's easy enough to use another light, but sorting out the triggering is proving a challenge. AI tends to ignore you, after all. I might just leave it and let those of a TacPack turn of mind simply shoot it down.

Dave

• 1 month later...
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, dhazelgrove said:

Thanks for that. I'd like to set it for a figure as close to realistic as I can get.

I do know that the pilots had to call into the range on entry, and that was when the flare was streamed and ignited - so they only had a short time to acquire the target and lock on

I have got an answer on flare time from "Red Dog" Mike Streten  .................. 

" I recall that on the missile firing profile once you were at the point where the missile would acquire the pilot made the call Flares now and his wingman would call Flares lit once he saw that had happened. Once Clearance to fire was given or had been given and the missile showed that it had acquired the target the firing trigger was pulled and the missile started its flight. As I recall the flare would burn for about 30 seconds and this was more than a large enough bracket since missile flight was normally around  5 seconds. These figures are all from my memory of numerous visits to the firing range ........ but it was a long time ago.

I trust this helps.

Mike Streten "

D

Archived