Can I reuse old hard drives / ssds?

davidzehkop

(Sorry if this might not be about the topic ) So i have lots of planes and scenery on my current HDD, and have my OS on my SSD. but i am upgrading my computer later this month. If i reuse the old HDD in my new build, will i have all my old planes and scenery or will i have to reinstall everything? If so, do i need to repurchase anything? (That would suck) Thank you in advance for the help !

• Deputy Sheriffs

I recently did this when I cut down the size of my FSX in preparation for moving it to a smaller drive. The system drive wasn't involved. SSD or mechanical isn't an issue in your scenario. Although the only difference was the physical drive, my FSX apparently registered itself with the specific old drive and wanted to be reauthorized, which can easily be done on-line if you're clever about how you answer the questions. For P3D, the best approach is to uninstall it from your old drive and reinstall it on your new one. Same with Orbx and the PMDG products. Everything else came over just fine by restoring the drive from a backup. With an available SATA port and cable, I think in the past I've also just installed the "new" drive where the old one was in the case (including the SATA cable), mounted it and gave it the old drive letter, then logging the old in on the spare cable and simply copying the files from the old to the new drive.

You should be able to confirm the need to uninstall/reinstall Orbx and PMDG products in their respective forums.

Thanks for the reply, except i am not using a new drive, i am just re-using my old one, so if i do that, will there by an issue when it comes to having all my data on it, or should i put all my data on an external drive and move it back? I think there will be an issue when it comes to all the drivers on my HDD, and since my new computer will of course use different drivers, would that be an issue?

• Deputy Sheriffs

A new ('bare metal" drive and a repurposed one are the same to the computer. The presence of drivers or other programs on the drive is irrelevant as long as there are no pointers in the Registry looking for the drivers/programs on the drive letter. In my case, that 520 GB SSD that had my FSX on it went to my wife to replace a mechanical drive. I left some FSX stuff on it purely as a backup measure and those files have no effect on her machine. I can see them in her File Explorer and can move them across our network if I need the files, but that's the extent of it.

BTW, replacing her mechanical drive so both drives were SSDs improved her Win 10 Home boot time from 45 to 20 seconds. It might have been that the mechanical drive was starting to go bad, or maybe the size (1 TB) that had to be initialized during start-up, but she's happier, so it was clearly worth the effort.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I may have misunderstood your original question. Depending on how you install Windows on the new system will determine if you have to reinstall programs. With a new motherboard and system disk (mechanical or SSD), this article may be helpful . A Bing or Goggle search might have some other info. With a new system disk, installing the operating system will build a new registry and you'll have to reinstall all your programs and add-ons.

On my recent rebuild as well as one with an identical motherboard and CPU, I used new motherboards and CPUs while retaining the drives and video cards. Mine had three SSDs, my wife's had a system SSD and large mechanical drive. The OS was 64 bit Windows, Pro (mine) and Home (hers). After installing the hardware, the systems booted first time, I installed board drivers from the driver DVD that came with the board, and everything worked as before, just faster. No reinstalling anything. Doing this during earlier rebuilds with Win 7 and 8, I was usually unsuccessful with getting the system to run because board drivers were missing and reinstalling the OS was the easiest way to get the rig running. In that scenario, reinstalling Windows rebuilt the registry and I had to reinstall all my programs and add-ons.

If this still leaves you wondering after reading the information in the link, please clarify what OS you're using now and plan to use, as well as whether the system drive is new or reinstalled.

im planning to use windows 10. Thanks for the info btw it really helped me understand things a bit more ! 

And the system drive is being re installed. So i have my OS on my ssd, except all my p3d stuff are on my hdd.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Under those circumstances you should be fine. Report back if you would please after you get things running again with how it went.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived