GSX dynamic lights

HI again, some cosmetic issues:

GSX pushback truck lights look like on the attached screenshot, walk-around with avatar is more or less impossible due to collision with the aircraft wings etc. (although collisions turned off).

Please login to display this image.

I can explain the lights. P3D v4 doesn't know any "borders" for the dynamic lights. Right now it's not possible to block them out. That made the positioning of landing lights extra difficult because they kept shining into the cockpit (and still very slightly do).

No idea about the avatar. I never used those. Isn't there a avatar collision setting somewhere in the P3D options?

Avatar collision can we turned off from P3D v4 settings. In this case (with CRJ) it does not work. I am not an expert, but I recall it was maybe somehow related to the model of aircraft. Ex, on PMDG 737-777 You can walk trough the aircraft, on CRJ and fslabs A320 You will collide with the aircraft regardless of the P3D v4 setting. I am not sure but maybe it was somehow related to the SDK the model was complied. fs9/FSX (old) SDK will lead to a collision while P3D does not.

When it comes to the outside lights shining to cockpit, the only solution seems to be waiting for a patch from P3D? Weird that I can not recall seeing the issue with other aircraft (seeing GSX lights inside the cockpit). Maybe other devs have some workaround to it? The apron lights definitely will not shine to the cockpit via the walls but cast normal shadows and seem to be using holes (like windows :D) to shine in.

It for sure casts shadows into the cockpit in external view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO65IVDmqeM
And it seems to work inside the cockpit in internal view (apron lights): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXsyWdozF0
I am not able to find an internal video with GSX lights.

Good, but the avatar can not be an issue, if it does not collide with most of the other aircraft ... nice to check wheel-wells during walkaround :)

Only celestial bodies (so Sun and Moon) cast shadows currently inside Prepar3D V4. Any other light sources are shadowless. The examples shown in the video dont cast any shadows. With the general aviation aircraft example you only see the stuff from the side and that there is shadow casting is an illusion.

We as developers had from start on problems without those situations. Hans told already about the landing lights, which shine in a conic form. As the cone widens, the landing light rays also enter the cockpit. In real world, the outer hull surfaces covers that area with its shadow. But as we dont have shadows on landing lights,

it was quite some work to keep the cockpit dark and still have good illumination on the runway.

I made already an inquiry that we are allowed to exclude for example certain geometry from lights. But this is still pending at LM as they told, that would make them some headaches graphics engine wise. But personally I await a strong overwork for the graphics engine as for the lights, as they seem pretty busied with the 4.1 currently.

On larger aircraft like an 737 or A320 class aircraft you simply sit much more above the light, so it dont shines in that much like on the CRJ.

On the avatar i must check myself, as i not tried out that stuff yet.

Edit: In Prepar3D, and this is still partly based on FSX, collision detection works on a simplified basis: Any object regardless of its form, is surrounded by a virtual cube on its extremes, which determine the outher boundaries. So when you have a rounded object, like the CRJs nose, it can be, the avatar is held back soon before

he reaches the hull surface itself. Imagine a sphere which is captured in a cube. There are distances to the spheres surface, when you try to enter from one of the cage cubes corners. On really large aircraft you dont hit the tubes collision cube as it sits high enough above the surface. But on the CRJ its sits VERY nice the ground.

The only way to overcome this in my eyes, would be to modify the Avatars collision cage. Normally it reaches from head to feet. But if one would scale that down to the feet, its should avoid the avatar from colliding too early. But i think the small rest on the feet is needed, to keep the avatar from falling to the center of earth....

I will take a further look at it....

Archived