ENTC Tromso X Object Collision

kolman

I’m encountering the same object collisions georgiosgiannoukos has mentioned in his topic from July 16.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/124847-tromso-scenery-crash/#comment-826527

The collision is easily reproducible it happens right on the runway either during takeoff or landing.

The solution you came up with is to disable crash detection, however this will also ignore the option “Vehicle stress causes damage”.
For my opinion an important realism setting.

Please login to display this image.

Maybe you can come up with something better than enabling “Ignore crashes and damage”

Regards,

Gerhard

• Deputy Sheriffs
11 minutes ago, kolman said:

For my opinion an important realism setting.

Sorry, but in what way is this "realistic"?. Do you get any visual damage that needs to be repaired? No. Any other "realistic" impact? No.

And why do you allow a collision with an Avatar? Because it is an Avatar and not a real human being? Well this is all really "realistic"?

So the answer to your last question is No, as there is nothing more unrealistic then those "Crashes and Damage"

Maybe the dev will find a leftover crashbox and remove it, but this will only happen when the dev knows the exact position. So please post a screenshot.

Mopperle, may be I take some things more serious than you do. I personally watch for example the VNE of an aircraft and try not to cause an overspeed.
I assume real-world pilots would do the same.
I do allow collisions with avatars, airport vehicles and AI-Traffic because I have limited control over them and it’s really annoying,
when a follow me car runs into your aircraft after you did a full run-up procedure on a complex airliner.

Anyway here is your screenshot.

• Deputy Sheriffs
15 hours ago, kolman said:

Mopperle, may be I take some things more serious than you do. I personally watch for example the VNE of an aircraft and try not to cause an overspeed.
I assume real-world pilots would do the same.
I do allow collisions with avatars, airport vehicles and AI-Traffic because I have limited control over them and it’s really annoying,
when a follow me car runs into your aircraft after you did a full run-up procedure on a complex airliner.

Jo Erlend, the developer of the scenery pops in regularly, so he may have an idea or two. Until he does, please deactivate the scenery by clearing the checkbox for it in the Scenery Library to help identify if the crash box you're hitting is in Aerosoft ENTC or not. Please let us know what you learn.

BTW, electing to not use an option that many find creates more problems than the additional "reality" it adds in no way means the user doesn't take their sim "more serious than you do." Based on a comment such as Ottos's, there's no reason to conclude he ignores VNE or any other limitation just because he turns Crash Detection off. See comment #9 and #11 in this thread for just one example of why many prefer to leave it off. Like me.

• 2 months later...

Is the best solution to this issue still to disable crash detection?

I certainly won't disable crash detection and definitely not for a single airport misbehaving. This since I do like to know if/when I do something stupid enough to cause a crash. Luckily this happens very rarely and I don't have this issue with any of my other airports in P3Dv4 so clearly this is something unique to ENTC in P3Dv4 and now P3Dv4.1 to be exact. However, looking at the date when this thread was first created the same issue existed also in 4.0.

I installed ENTC because I found it on the list of airports compatible with P3Dv4 found here but if that is not true in this case and there's no real fix I'll just get rid of this scenery.

As for reproduction of the issue it's very easy. Just roll down the runway from one end to the other. No matter if you start at 01 or 19. You won't get far before you'll crash. When starting from 19 it will happen approx at intersection E and when rolling from 01 at intersection A.

Personally I learned about this issue tonight after a 4+ hours flight from Spain. Not the most amusing way to end such a flight...first being very both sad and upset since I thought to myself it was a very smooth landing and I couldn't understand why I crashed. Then getting annoyed and pissed off to be honest when I realized I didn't cause this to happen but some invisible object in the middle of the runway...

This can't be very hard for Jo to address and I really do hope he will because I would certainly miss this otherwise very beautiful scenery if I have to get rid of it because of this issue.

Asked about this over at Avsim as well and was honestly surprised to see everyone but me have disabled crash detection so guess it's time for me to move along as well disabling crash detection.

Must say I find it weird though this hasn't been a more discussed topic when it comes to feedback to LM but that is not for this forum.

And again, up until now I've been able to have CD enabled without any issues and that is with almost 20 airports installed up to this point.

• Aerosoft

That is mainly because a lot of those airports simply have nothing to crash into, lol.

I doubt that Lockheed cares. Not only because a professional simulators on the whole do not have crash detection and because it is a surprisingly difficult thing to see if a part of a structure hits another structure. Almost always devs use crash boxes. rough shapes larger then the object with very basic geometry because doing detection with complex shapes would cause performance to drop significantly. 

Thanks for the added info Mathijs.

I'm sure you know more about this than I do :) and I guess you're right about LM as well not putting the crash detection particularly high on their prio list.

• Aerosoft

To be honest, I can't remember having ever used any sim with crash detect on. It was always the best way to get buggered after a long flight. real pilots know that you can't use taxiway A2 with a A330 because ground control tells them to use A1. But in the sim there is almost never a good way to know (even with VATSIM and IVAO I have often been told to go somewhere where I just would not fit). 

I'm the quite opposite always having it enabled (but disabled for other vehicles and objects since I do all my flying online) and reason I always kept in enabled is I'm put off by the idea no matter how hard I will slam my a/c down it will just bounce back up in the air like nothing happened. That to me is a big turnoff.

However right now I guess that's the way forward since everyone else seems to have it that way. Maybe we will one day have a better CD system worth its name.

As for ENTC I still think in all honesty that it would be a nice thing if Jo looked into this when he has a couple of minutes to spare. Having this kind of issue because you get too close to a terminal building or some other object on the apron is one thing. Having this issue on the main runway on the other hand with no other objects nearby is a totally different matter IMO that should be addressed crash detection turned on or off.

Right now however I have CD disabled for the first time in my life and I never felt more invincible :lol:

Enjoy the rest of the evening Mathijs!

Think I just found what might be causing the crash along the runway.

Have a close look at the screenshot below and you'll see two mysterious objects hanging high up in the air marked in red by me approx where along the runway you will get a crash.

Now, let's have a closer look at one of these objects shall we...yep...looks like a lost windsock to me that appears to be very dangerous to aircraft below on the runway ;)

Ah...just tried it and indeed the airborne windsocks are gone but I still get the same crash with CD enabled at the same location so wasn't as easy as I was hoping for.

Oh well, will just keep CD disabled like everyone else and maybe Jo will eventually find what is causing these crashes.

Archived