Question around upcoming Heathrow P3Dv4 port

S_D

Hi there,

Firstly, may I say that like other I appreciate the efforts of Aerosoft in bring their sceneries and planes to P3Dv4.

Secondly, I have MA Heathrow and P3Dv3 and I appreciate the use of the jetways patch (a separate file) to maintain the immersion that moving jetways brings. Will the jetway patch be part of the migration to P3Dv4 too? It would be a shame to lose the immersion factor that it brings.

KR

Simon

23 hours ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

I am looking forward to having this product available in P3Dv4. Any information on the progress of this airport would be much appreciated.

Well the compatibility list was updated today and Heathrow still shows up as a July release, with only 3 days left of July it should be any day now.

1 hour ago, Morph10 said:

Well the compatibility list was updated today and Heathrow still shows up as a July release, with only 3 days left of July it should be any day now.

Let's hope so.

I am equally as interested. Though I know Aerosoft provides some quality products. I am okay patiently waiting. When they updated the compatibility list a few days ago and kept Heathrow in July, I was excited.

• Deputy Sheriffs

This is far more in the realm of informed speculation based on a lot of time in several forums besides this one and is not an official Aerosoft position. It is very public information that the developer of MegaAirport London Heathrow is SimWings. Aerosoft is the publisher and one of two sources for buying the scenery. I do not have any inside information on this as a forum assistant mod.

That said, I strongly suspect that SimWings initially decided to do a straight port to get the airport into users hands for P3D v4 and estimated a release by the end of July. They then may well have thought better of it as several other noted developers have done. Rather than rushing a ported over product out that can't use any of the v4 features and then deal with the attendant complaints that such and such doesn't work or work well in v4, other airport scenery developers have delayed initial plans to get "something" out by mid to late July and instead decided to invest developer time to incorporate some of the key v4 features (such as dynamic lighting) by mid-August to maybe early September. Just take a look at what MegaAirport Oslo V2.0 went through, where a very capable developer did a fast v4 release incorporating a work around to cure the inverted light cones issue in the initial release of v4 (basically inverting them in the code so the sim would reverse-the-reversals to get a correct look). LM corrected their error in the Hot Fix, which caused criticism for MA Oslo and other early releases until the developer could un-reverse the light cones so they would look right again. A lesson like that isn't easily lost on the developer community.

So while it would be nice to hear something official from SimWings/Aerosoft, don't lose any sleep over the product not making it out by 2359 your local time. It doesn't mean the product has been cancelled, it just means it's not ready for release yet. Rather, interpret it as I am and conclude/hope the delay is simply so SimWings can deliver a product that doesn't just work but works well in P3D v4!

Thanks Herman. I understand that your explanation is not an "official" update on the progress of the project but it does shed some light on as to why the add-on may be delayed. I much rather a proper v4 ready product than a quick fix or port of the product into the new sim.

Still nothing!!! We are a week into August, Heathrow still shows up as a July release date and Mathijs said last Tuesday that it is `not far off`.  Do we have any further info on the release? 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Information will be published automatically once they become available. Frequent asking in between and usage of multiple exclamation marks do not change anything.

If Mathis would have wanted to give a precise release date, he would have given it. So please just sit back, relax and wait. I am sure you are more interested in a finished product than in a hasted release with lots of open issues which was only released just to silence all the "when will it finally be released?" questions.

Archived