FSDG Seychelles P3D v4

Querer

The installer does not allow me to install anywhere else than on my C: drive. No, I do not want this. How can I change the installation path? I tried both by writing the path or by clicking on the button with the three dots (...), but it did not work. Any tipps? Thanks for the help.

Regards

Chris

• Deputy Sheriffs

Chris, what exactly do you mean by this? You are aware that LM offers a new way of installing addon, which allows to separate addons from your core P3D files? This makes it easier to update P3D itself without reinstalling everything.

That means that addons can be installed in the the folder .../My Documents/ Prepare 3D v4 Add-ons/

Unfortunately LM still allows to install things the old way. So some addons install directly in to the core P3D folder, some use the new folder above but only for leaving a reference to the files (being installed elsewhere), and some are installing everything in this new folder.

I think the point here is that although it is installed outside of your P3D environment that you should be able to choose the install location. For example: if you have a slower C-Drive and a fast D-drive you would prefer installing it on D. This is not possible. Another common practice is to only install the XML references in my documents and the actual scenery in another folder of your choice (like FSDT does).

• Deputy Sheriffs

And LM went only the half way. LM could have setup a rule allowing to install the addon elsewhere, excluding the P3D folder.

vor 36 Minuten, mopperle sagte:

Chris, what exactly do you mean by this? You are aware that LM offers a new way of installing addon, which allows to separate addons from your core P3D files? This makes it easier to update P3D itself without reinstalling everything.

That means that addons can be installed in the the folder .../My Documents/ Prepare 3D v4 Add-ons/

Unfortunately LM still allows to install things the old way. So some addons install directly in to the core P3D folder, some use the new folder above but only for leaving a reference to the files (being installed elsewhere), and some are installing everything in this new folder.

Otto, FSDG misunderstood the add-on.xml approach. Their installer is hardcoded to install their V4 Sceneries into /My Documents/ Prepare 3D v4 Add-ons/. Not just the xml file but the entire scenery. And one can't change that within the installer.

I can´t use the scenerys from FSDG this way. My C: is a 480gb SSD with no free space at all. PLEASE, FSDG review your installers to make it possible to install elsewhere (As other developers are doing).

Enough said. Even if you want to use the addon.xml way, it is not a must to install in "my documents", you can install anywhere. The installer simply does not allow it. As long as I can not install outside C-drive, I am not able to use this addon and this is a pity. And I do not want to simply move the installed files manually off the C-drive, as this would end up in other issues like the uninstaller not working anymore. Simple as that.

There are already some threads in the FSDG Forums regarding the c:\ issue. I posted in their German Forum (Graz-Thread) and asked to drop their policy, which they justify with cost- and support efficiency. There is a how-to by Emilios to move the installation to your desired drive and alter the addon.xml accordingly, but this cannot be the future: users hacking xml-code all day long. These guys at FSDG seem to be very helpful though, maybe we will see improvement.

Ich schließe mich meinen Vorrednern an. Habe auch gerade Graz installiert und mit Schrecken festgestellt, dass der Pfad hardcoded ist - und hab die Szenerie gleich wieder deinstalliert. Da hat wohl FSDG in der Tat etwas gründlich missverstanden. Schade um die schönen Szenerien.

@Mathijs Kok könntet ihr evtl euren Einfluss bei FSDG geltend machen, dass hier möglichst schnell Abhilfe geschaffen wird? Der "fix" von Emilio kann es nicht sein :).

Danke,

Jan

I have just realised that the FSDG Seychelles is being installed directly into the Prepar3D v4 Add-on which is on the C drive.. 

THIS IS A CRUCIAL ERROR..

My computer has the C drive as a SSD drive.. And my simulater is on an other driver. 

Sceneries on the C drive is never ever gonna happen. ....

And at the same time Orbx Ftx Vector is not going to work with sceneries outside the sim, for some strange reason.

The problem here is that I cant install the scenery except into this folder, and that will kill the computer.... What to do.?

Mathijs I can see you are aware of the problem. So I leave this post to emphazise things...

All the best

Jens

On 25.7.2017 at 00:17, Jens Michlas sagte:

And at the same time Orbx Ftx Vector is not going to work with sceneries outside the sim, for some strange reason.

this is a problem of ORBX Vectoc that can't cope with sceneries that use the "addon.xml" way to add themselves to the library - in the ORBX forums it looks as if they will fix that in a later release

I think the way to get around this, is edit the addon config file (notepad) and simply switch all files (apart from this config file) to your prefered entry to something like "D:\Prepar3D v4 Addons\FSDG"

• 3 weeks later...

August 28th and yet the installer I just downloaded from simmarket still directs to C: drive without allowing to change it. No, not like this, another month waiting? And yes, I am aware that I could move it manually, but no, this is not my job...

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 14 Minuten, Querer sagte:

but no, this is not my job...

and also not Aerosoft's job, but the developer, in this case FSDG. But I'm sure you have already complained over there. ;)

Archived