Normal Law not replicated as the real thing

Hi,

I have just purchased Aerosoft´s Airbus A320/A321 and start flying it with a real A320 captain by my side explaining how to do it like the real thing.

I made several touch and go with AP off and A/thrust ON on the plane and, in my instructor's words, it does not behave like the real A320 with respect to normal law.

It seems Normal Law is not implemented as I made a 20 degree turn at constant speed and constant altitude and the plane start descending, I have to break the descend by pulling the joystick (Just not as the real a320). Then when I came out from the turn the plane behaves exactly like a cessna: climbing up! (I am a real cessna pilot). I am told by the RW captain that this is simple not true. Airbus Normal Law does precisely avoid this 2 things. This behavior was constant on every turn on your plane.

I was not able to fly the plane manually without trimming it, which is absolutely not true, RW pilots do not touch trim controls in maneuvers under normal law, as my instructor said.

I honestly do not think you did not implement Normal Law in your code, as basic as it is, so is there a configuration option where I can turn on this feature? Is there a joystick tweak? Or you guys did not replicate this feature at all?

I am running P3D v3.3 with a logitech sidewinder joystick.

Regards,

Luis

I'm not an expert but just from the few experience I made in a certified Airbus A320 Simulator I can not confirm that there is such an altitude protection as you described it. The flight instructor in the simulator also told me that I had to pitch up a bit during turns to prevent the plane from descending. I also quickly overlooked the Airbus Laws on the internet, but didn't find such a system. (http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm)

I could imagine that this is possibly a company-internal thing.

Hi,

Maybe I did not explain my self, i am talking about this point in the Airbus flight control laws summary you posted:

Normal law > Flight mode > No requirement to change pitch trim for changes in airspeed, configuration, or bank up to 33 degrees.

I am not talking about an altitude protection or holding, instead an ATTITUDE holding.

48 minutes ago, lzaragoz said:

No requirement to change pitch trim

I'm no expert either, but there's a huge difference between "no requirement to change pitch trim" and "no requirement to change pitch". You seem to be talking about the latter.

• Aerosoft

You really must have misunderstood your real pilot friend because, while there are some less than perfect corners of the flight envelope, the behavior in this stage is modeled correctly. Keep in mind that most of our testers are A320 pilots. 

12 hours ago, lzaragoz said:

I honestly do not think you did not implement Normal Law in your code, as basic as it is, so is there a configuration option where I can turn on this feature? Is there a joystick tweak? Or you guys did not replicate this feature at all?

Dear Luis,

there must have been some sort of misunderstanding between you and your pilot friend.
We had this discussion going on a few times already in our forums since what you reported is one of the biggest misunderstandings on how Airbusses would behave.

If you search the forums you will find these discussions and really pretty much all arguments have been discussed already.

3 hours ago, datguytho said:

I could imagine that this is possibly a company-internal thing.

No, something this "basic" can not be a company option. The basic flight controls behave the same on all Airbus aircraft.

16 hours ago, chipwich said:

What is Normal Law?

Well, instead of explaining here, can you take a look at the A320 Documentation Volume 8?  If you don't have access to the documentation because you haven't purchased the A320 Series then I'd strongly recommend it!!!).  Otherwise you can Google "A320 Normal Law" (which will provide you with a lot of terrific information) or visit the Smart Cockpits website and see THIS PAGE.

Best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 5:24 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Well, instead of explaining here, can you take a look at the A320 Documentation Volume 8?  If you don't have access to the documentation because you haven't purchased the A320 Series then I'd strongly recommend it!!!).  Otherwise you can Google "A320 Normal Law" (which will provide you with a lot of terrific information) or visit the Smart Cockpits website and see THIS PAGE.

Best wishes.

Thank you @DaveCT2003.  I googled "A320 Normal Law" and found good explanations.  Very interesting paradigm/philosophy used at Airbus.

You're most welcome.  Many people think the Airbus is very basic, but when you look behind the curtain there is a lot going on that the pilot needs to be aware of.

Best wishes for happy flights!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived